Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-01-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Default Any Fireries on the site

You guys ROCK. I envy the ethic you people have ,either CFA or MFB. Victoria is in total meltdown at the moment with bush fires in all parts of victoria and this post is just to say thanks guys and girls.How bout we thank em.

jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2006, 09:43 PM   #2
chief
FTF Club Moderator

My old man is a voluntee up here in NSW in the Rural Bush Fire Brigade. He flew down to Vic this morning at 4am. Be down there for the next couple of days. Doesn't know when he eats, sleeps, rests or fighting fires. The whole brigade went this morning. The guys train for this stuff. Good luck to them. They definently rock, and save lives to.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2006, 10:28 PM   #3
BA Bakes
It's Cat huntin season...

I'm an RFS firerie in NSW. We sent 5 trucks down on friday morning, placement crews are go down on saturday. Tomorrow will be an interesting day for the guys in Vic with the weather forecasted.

XRB055 - Black BA MkII XR8 Ute.
6 Speed manual, Leather seats, hard lid.
To do list - Cat back exhaust, new wheels, new shock and front sway bar, and whatever else seems like a good idea

Old Ride
XR40RD - Phantom BA XR6
160 rear wheel killer wasps - Pacemakers - 3" HiFlo Cat - 2.5 Redback exhaust - 18" Speedy Graphite Rims - Dumped on King Superlows - Standard ICC with iPod cradle, 5x7" Boston Acoustics, 12 Alpine sub powered by 4 channel Alpine amp
[/SIZE]
BA Bakes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2006, 10:30 PM   #4
LUXO_8
windsor user

yes, huge thanks to the fireys, my uncle is a firey here in geelong.... havent heard but no doubt he's in the thick of it in anakie.... nearly all out there though as far as i know...

the grampions one looks like hell......

they do a great job and without them we'd all be screwed
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2006, 10:33 PM   #5
rapidxr6
AS IT SAYS.....

Yes indeed!! A big thanks to all the firey's fighting the fronts across the states of oz. People like these make me proud to be of Aussie blood..!!..
rapidxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2006, 10:35 PM   #6
rapidxr6
AS IT SAYS.....

It 'is' hell down here at the moment, very, very smoky.
rapidxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2006, 11:04 PM   #7
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My dad is. Working at Greenvale (Tullamarine) ATM, though being moved to and from the fires at Geelong a bit. Might also be going across to king lake (?) sometime.
Worked at Springvale for many a years, and also did officer work for a bit.

Gotta respect the ol' man
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 01:24 AM   #8
XRated
Shoot.

Yes, respect. Very admirable and it restores faith in human companionship.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 06:03 PM   #9
JG3282
Awake after dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
You guys ROCK. I envy the ethic you people have ,either CFA or MFB. Victoria is in total meltdown at the moment with bush fires in all parts of victoria and this post is just to say thanks guys and girls.How bout we thank em.
John did you get smoked out on wed night? It got a bit smoky in my street

His Car: XE Fairmont Ghia - For Sale Here

Her Car: ED Fairmont - Lowered, Pioneer stereo, Sony XPlod speakers, Big Exhaust & more
JG3282 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 06:25 PM   #10
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Yea they certainly do a fantastic job.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 06:34 PM   #11
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

It's not just the Rural Fire Service, we tend to forget about the other Emergency services like the SES, St Johns Ambulance, and Salvation Army in this case the SES would be doing all the odd jobs like taking then drinks and food and other assorted stuff.

It’s the same when a storm rips major damage through a city or town, the RFS would assist the SES with storm damage and even Floods.

We all give a huge thanks to all services that are involved.
oh yeah most of em are volenteers!
:
Old 27-01-2006, 11:02 PM   #12
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And should be paid more.....they get paid for turnouts....spent 31yrs 5mths 11days as a full time firie....all the emergency services come together in a crisis...whether full time or not.

Without the dedication of the vollies and the full timers this country would be in very dire straights,this statement includes the coppers who more often than not get a bad rap...like all the rest they are just doing their job.

My thanks to those who thank the vollies and full timers.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 12:32 AM   #13
EB_5.0_WAGON
Formerly known as NUDGE

i was in the RFS in NSW for 11 yrs and my heart sank when i saw on the news about the poor guys in Vic who didnt survive the truck roll over.

Driving those tankers in near zero visability takes nerves of steel and ive been in situations where ive nearly lost a truck due to the same thing.

As strange as this might sound i actually miss doing it and when i see big fires like the ones around at the moment i wish i was back doing it again.
2004 Toyota Prado GXL
EB_5.0_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 12:39 AM   #14
Quicklier
Perfecting the 1-2 change

I'm a CFA voluteer.
We do not get paid for turnouts. We do not get any pay whatsoever.
As much as we should be thanking the fire fighters, we certainly need to thank the local communities, SES and the Salvos. The communities look after immediate food and water for the voluteers until the Salvos arrive with their kitchen (huge Semi).

I just hope that employers continue to be flexible and allow them to have the time off.
We'd all let staff go if it were our farm/house/car/town under threat.
Quicklier is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 01:06 AM   #15
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm with the RFS in northern syd (Hornsby Ku-Ring-Gai), we flew down a crew on wednesday night and another crew is flying down tomorrow to relieve them. I would have gone, except for work/battling a cold. Was involved fighting the Gosford fires though.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 04:14 AM   #16
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Im in the same boat (!) as Dave_au... Im a Hornsby RFS firey as well.

I too was involved in the Gosford fires, but had to miss out on Victoria due to commitments with St John Ambulance.

thankYOU vegabass... indeed it is not just the fireys out there... St John Ambulance are also out there in force at every major bushfire and diaster you can think of. As are the Salvos, SES etc.

Thankyou to homeowners who properly prepare their homes for the onset of bushfire... It makes life soooo much easier.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 12:20 PM   #17
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Young un - were you charging around the hawksbury on the boats or did you get a ride with Berowa 1?
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 12:34 PM   #18
falcon91

More thank you's and responses here!http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=31836
falcon91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2006, 06:04 PM   #19
pandaman
Back in Blue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicklier
I'm a CFA voluteer.
We do not get paid for turnouts. We do not get any pay whatsoever.
As much as we should be thanking the fire fighters, we certainly need to thank the local communities, SES and the Salvos. The communities look after immediate food and water for the voluteers until the Salvos arrive with their kitchen (huge Semi).

I just hope that employers continue to be flexible and allow them to have the time off.
We'd all let staff go if it were our farm/house/car/town under threat.
Damn straight, the salvos and company are absolute legends. Unfortunately my current employer is not very flexible when it comes to fire brigade commitments, the last time a bloke took off on a STARG for a week or so he ended up getting a disciplinary warning letter for it. He's had it framed and shows it off at every opportunity.

I don't know where people get this idea that we are paid. We recently had a bunch of undergrad medicine students at the shed (Bungendore) for a practical first aid excercise and they all thought we were paid for our time. When we told them it was strictly volunteer most of them couldnt seem to understand why we did it. Says a lot for community spirit these days yeah?

I'm not sure if anyone from our area went down to VIC, they were talking about it before I left town for a while and I've only just gotten back.

Back in Blue baby!
pandaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2006, 11:38 PM   #20
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some units do get paid for turnouts....nothing else....... it covers their fuel cost!!!!!!!!!!!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2006, 11:40 PM   #21
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Yes, dispite me not living in a bushfire area, i appreciate the work they do, you guys are brilliant and deserve more credit for your jobs.
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 12:58 AM   #22
pandaman
Back in Blue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
Some units do get paid for turnouts....nothing else....... it covers their fuel cost!!!!!!!!!!!
Heh, fuel costs, the way some of the fellas round here drive that could be a significant issue. I actually live three blocks away from the shed so it's quicker for me to get on the bike and ride down. e Hehehe reminds me, I keep hearing stories from the old timers about how back in the 70's they had to stop by the pub on the way back from callouts to pass the hat around for money to fill the truck. Thankfully we've come a fair way since then.

Back in Blue baby!
pandaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 02:59 AM   #23
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

If I had my hat on right now, I'd take it off to you firefighters.

Dave and Young'un, thanks for helping protect my backyard! The wilds of Hornsby are a safer place for all.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:51 AM   #24
BA Bakes
It's Cat huntin season...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
With many RFS brigades, fuel costs are covered by the local councils. However, this only seems to be if the council aren't tight a55's as not all on them do.

XRB055 - Black BA MkII XR8 Ute.
6 Speed manual, Leather seats, hard lid.
To do list - Cat back exhaust, new wheels, new shock and front sway bar, and whatever else seems like a good idea

Old Ride
XR40RD - Phantom BA XR6
160 rear wheel killer wasps - Pacemakers - 3" HiFlo Cat - 2.5 Redback exhaust - 18" Speedy Graphite Rims - Dumped on King Superlows - Standard ICC with iPod cradle, 5x7" Boston Acoustics, 12 Alpine sub powered by 4 channel Alpine amp
[/SIZE]
BA Bakes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 11:34 PM   #25
GUTLES
Adam.

Speaking of this - I think i saw you last week, saw a blood orange ba xr ute with jcxr plates out the front of nar nar goon fire station!?

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post