Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Default Review - Suzuki Swift Sport (GTI) is here! Watch out Ford

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...ID=19803&vf=12

Key Points;

Price; $24,000

Kerb weight of 1090kg

Free-revving 1.6-litre 92kW, four-cylinder engine to deliver claimed 0-100km/h acceleration of 8.9 seconds.

Released locally in 1 month... September 11 more details!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)

Last edited by Teki04; 07-09-2006 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:20 PM   #3
crispymk2

I quite like the look of the current swifts with the body kit, lowered + rims... seen a few around that look cool. The extra grunt would come in handy, if it handles well I might trade the fez in on one of these depending on wether or not Ford get their siht sorted and bring the ST out.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:35 AM   #4
Peej

Looks a bit tame for my liking to be honest.. Doesnt look like anything special from some angles.. i thought they were coming out in a 3 door config. Guess its all a matter of personal taste really.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:50 AM   #5
Al...

i like it
Old 08-09-2006, 01:09 AM   #6
Marshy79

The GF's parents have a current model swift and I must admit its really darn cool.

They got the biggeet rims they could fit on the thing and it looks every so sporty.

Honestly... looks heaps better than the GTI swift in that pic as well. I'll have to take a piccy of it to show you guys perhaps.

The swift does need a sportier engine though.
I Welcome the GTI back on to the scene
Old 08-09-2006, 02:10 AM   #7
Danny
GT4.

With 92kW and What essentially for most average drivers will be around a 9 second 0-100. I think 24,000 is a little pricey.

If ford sold the ST at around 24-25k then they'd be on a winner for sure. They're closer to high Sevens.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:15 AM   #8
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
With 92kW and What essentially for most average drivers will be around a 9 second 0-100. I think 24,000 is a little pricey.

If ford sold the ST at around 24-25k then they'd be on a winner for sure. They're closer to high Sevens.
Yea true.

The Barina SRi was $1,500 cheaper then the Swift Sport, and just as quick.

But as the article mentions, pricing is still to be released.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 08-09-2006, 09:32 AM   #9
photn
AFF Post NAZI

there is one at campbelltown station white with 18" chromies and lowered....i have to admit it looks hot...but not hot enough to buy sorry..looks the goods the sport and probably has the go......but not my taste.......

Old 08-09-2006, 01:57 PM   #10
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks nice in Yellow, check out the seats......look far more comfortable than the Zetec Fez.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:12 PM   #11
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up Teki.

Dude, it's only a matter of time before Ford Aus brings-in the Fiesta ST. PLEASE.. keep it as Fiesta ST... not XR4, cos it'd sound ghay. I got my MOTOR magazine today in the mail and it said:-

"Fiesty Fiesta -- Ford is considering adding a spicy Fiesta to its range, after the success of the Focus XR5. A 2.0-litre, 110kW Fiesta ST is already sold in Europe. Meanwhile, Ford has sold its entire allocation of XR5s and is looking to source another batch from Germany".

--MOTOR Magazine Oct '06 issue. Page 11
Old 08-09-2006, 05:24 PM   #12
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So many choices..... The Zetec Fiesta with one of those cams from the UK would undercut them all! Someone needs to buy one and see if the power claims are true.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:50 PM   #13
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Don't like the Swift at all, Fez is much better looking. I'm sure they could wring a few more ponies out of the Fiesta 1600. The 1600 GT Kent motor in my 71 Capri put out exactly the same power standard as my new Fez. Might have drank a bit more doing it but...
Old 08-09-2006, 07:55 PM   #14
photn
AFF Post NAZI

the fez with the extractors cams exhaust CAI and a ecu bluefin would **** on all those little hatch's pumping out 154BHP its 5 BHP more than the ST....but the ST can go up to 200 BHP if modded correctly....

Old 08-09-2006, 08:25 PM   #15
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Never liked the styling of the Swift. Seems like two design philosophies fighting over the one car.

If I knew I was keeping the Fiesta for a couple more years, I'd fit the cams. I need to decide how long I'm keeping the car though.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:29 PM   #16
Al...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
the fez with the extractors cams exhaust CAI and a ecu bluefin would **** on all those little hatch's pumping out 154BHP its 5 BHP more than the ST....but the ST can go up to 200 BHP if modded correctly....
do the same to any car , i am sure the gains would be there too
its ok to say ford may do this and do that, the fact still ramains... they havn't
Old 08-09-2006, 10:42 PM   #17
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can't compare a modded car to a stock car. An ST or any car for that matter can eaisly get more than 200hp if modded correctly
Old 04-10-2006, 06:27 PM   #18
Danny
GT4.

I drove one today (No I'm not buying one, but a dealer convinced me to take one for a drive to try to prove to me how good they were). Honestly, They feel heavy, and the seats look and feel cheap. Like something from freedom furniture with cheap foam.

Dashboard looks OK, Better than WP Fez but not better than WQ. They Look overweight up close, and I dont like the busy wheel design.

Performance is DEFINITELY nothing to write home about, It didn't seem in any way much quicker than the Fiesta. It felt very heavy and floaty on the road, the clutch was crap and had NO feel whatsoever, and theres NO way I'd spend $27K (Onroad) when I could get a Polo GTi With Leather, DSC, TC, EBD, ABS, 8 Airbags for around 3 grand more..

I have so far been in A VW Polo GTi, and a RSC 182 Cup. Both FANTASTIC cars. Suzuki did not cut it, I didn't like em before, and Certainly dont like it now...
Old 04-10-2006, 06:57 PM   #19
Imolator
Quad Cam

Quote:
I drove one today (No I'm not buying one, but a dealer convinced me to take one for a drive to try to prove to me how good they were). Honestly, They feel heavy, and the seats look and feel cheap. Like something from freedom furniture with cheap foam.

Dashboard looks OK, Better than WP Fez but not better than WQ. They Look overweight up close, and I dont like the busy wheel design.

Performance is DEFINITELY nothing to write home about, It didn't seem in any way much quicker than the Fiesta. It felt very heavy and floaty on the road, the clutch was crap and had NO feel whatsoever, and theres NO way I'd spend $27K (Onroad) when I could get a Polo GTi With Leather, DSC, TC, EBD, ABS, 8 Airbags for around 3 grand more..

I have so far been in A VW Polo GTi, and a RSC 182 Cup. Both FANTASTIC cars. Suzuki did not cut it, I didn't like em before, and Certainly dont like it now...

I totaly agree, its is no way worth what they are asking for it. Too many other great cars can be had for that sort of money or just a little more.

What Ford need to do is too give the Zetec chassis the engine it deserves.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:16 PM   #20
04RSD
shinanigans

had a look at 1 when i bought the fez
it was very plasticy it sounded like me EA work car rattled when you hit bumps and the windows twang, culunk and bang when i wound them up and down.
for $16000 drive away the fez has so much more refinement then the other sub $20 cars.
i test drove and tried to get a good deal on all of them the fez came way out on top
Old 05-10-2006, 04:03 PM   #21
Imolator
Quad Cam

Found this review of the new swift, has some good info. It doesn't even come with a spare tyre anymore, just a repair kit and a pump.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/2080285.aspx
Old 05-10-2006, 04:20 PM   #22
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
I have so far been in A VW Polo GTi, and a RSC 182 Cup. Both FANTASTIC cars.
That's what I like to hear. :

Old 05-10-2006, 04:24 PM   #23
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Quote:
I have so far been in A VW Polo GTi, and a RSC 182 Cup. Both FANTASTIC cars

I too will soon be in both, atm i will agree with the above statement.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:58 PM   #24
Steffo
LPG > You

27 on-road for that thing? They're absolutley dreaming. I can get a Polo 1.9 TDI fully optioned on-road for 26, and its a much, much better car then that Suzuki can ever dream of being.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 06-10-2006, 12:55 PM   #25
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
27 on-road for that thing? They're absolutley dreaming.
And yet......."I bet they sell them like there's no tomorrow".......there is a lot of sentiment among Suzi Fans regarding the old GTi Swift, they have waited a very long time for this replacement car, I think they stuffed up a bit though by calling it a "Swift Sport" and not "GTi" which is what all the Suzi fans wanted, still wont damage sales too much though........wouldn't mind betting there will be a few around with the "Sport" badge removed and a "GTi" badge put in it's place.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:14 PM   #26
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Rob,

I do believe there were a few articles on the 'GTi' badge... Volkswagen was very much against it, as they have the Polo GTI and were the first to introduce the GTI badge, on their Golf GTI

I think it wasn't an issue in the past, but as Hot Hatches become more popular, VW are getting behind keeping their GTI badge for themselves.

Old 06-10-2006, 03:27 PM   #27
photn
AFF Post NAZI

"if you dont have anything constructive to say then dont sayanything"

so this is me not saying anything.

:baby bott : : :sm_headba :

Old 06-10-2006, 05:31 PM   #28
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Rob,

I do believe there were a few articles on the 'GTi' badge... Volkswagen was very much against it, as they have the Polo GTI and were the first to introduce the GTI badge, on their Golf GTI

I think it wasn't an issue in the past, but as Hot Hatches become more popular, VW are getting behind keeping their GTI badge for themselves.
Yea, ya might be right there Teki, something big must have gone on behind the scenes, I remember reading somewhere that other countries also wanted the "GTi" name on this car but Suzuki made the decision to globally name the car "Sport" much against the wishes of their worldwide dealer network and of course ultimately their customers.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:11 PM   #29
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Rob,

Yes, thats what the dealer told me. Actually, the "GTi" Nomenclature is now registered and trademarked by VW. How Ironic that that (VW) just may be the GTi that I end up in....
Old 28-10-2006, 11:15 PM   #30
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Ok guys, from what I understand the GTI or GTi badge is VW owned. Only the Golf and Polo wear it... the Pug 207 is a GT (replaced GTi) and RC (will replace GTi180 here)...

And then the Swift Sport, which I wasn't impressed with. Gearbox (stationery) seemed too notchy, and the seats were hidious. Looked like cheap seat covers. The rear seats and boot - why bother?! No room anywhere....

pics stolen from Simonr's camera :

Closed Thread