Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-03-2006, 03:17 PM   #1
oyob2003

Default 34 Ford Coupe Rolled Two Dead

I am wondering if anyone else has heard about the 34 Ford Coupe rolling at the Central Coast NSW, the owner and passenger were both killed, the owner had spent seventy thousand building the car. going by the news I heard on radio here, if I have missed it somewhere else I am sorry.

oyob2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 03:21 PM   #2
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Yeh, been pretty big news here, it only happened about 2km from my house.

They are still unsure of the circumstances oh how it rolled and caught fire, but they believe speed wasnt a factor and the road it occurred on (which ive driven on many times) isnt that bad.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 04:58 PM   #3
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I also heard that the blokes wives and kids were only five minutes behind them, and they came across the wreck, thats awful
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 02:44 AM   #4
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

OMFG They'd get out and race over to hear their dad's screeming in agony in the fire - that is terrible.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 11:18 AM   #5
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I also heard that the guys were killed instantly, not sure on this tho
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 04:57 PM   #6
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

This incident as horrible as it is for all involved is one of the many reasons why I loathe HOT ROD'S. These cars just were not designed for such powerful engines. Also many of these Hot Rods have no safety features so it is little wonder they were killed!
You Yangs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 05:35 PM   #7
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Yangs
This incident as horrible as it is for all involved is one of the many reasons why I loathe HOT ROD'S. These cars just were not designed for such powerful engines. Also many of these Hot Rods have no safety features so it is little wonder they were killed!

Yeah, you're right. I love the things to death, but too many people focus on the engines, and neglect brakes and suspension. As beautiful they are, they are death machines at times.
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 04:28 AM   #8
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my uncle is currently building a 32? ford T bucket

it is 1 of the fibreglass body kind..

you goto a guy named ian i think his name was.. down at mt tamborine/oxenford area..
and put ur $$ down and he builds the body.. frame and u can supply what ever engine and gearbox you like
he makes the frame and mounts etc to suit
this particular kit rod
comes with XF rear drum brakes(or discs.. or jag *** end) my uncle chose drums(can be changed later)
the front has HQ discs i think(definatly discs)
it has a 308 in it with a trimatic
and weighs in around 800kg..

i dont see how an 800kg car can need brakes as big as a V8 supercar..

they seem to stop fine
and accelerate so fast..

and handle well being so stiff and light..
but the fact it is designed off a 30s car.. means it WILL NOT be as safe as a new camry.. or even an old volvo..

but they are so low they generally SHOULDNT roll..
its like damn gocart really..

will be interesting to see how it happened tho!! poor guys and their family
Old 14-03-2006, 04:30 AM   #9
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

also for a street registered rod (not just club rego but general rego like ur falcon has)

you cant run a big block
you cant add forced induction
you must have a tilted steering wheel
you must have brand new everything in the suspension and braking department (new discs and pads etc)

lots of rules and regulations
and they are checked thru every stage of the build process by engineers etc
Old 14-03-2006, 08:49 AM   #10
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
also for a street registered rod (not just club rego but general rego like ur falcon has)

you cant run a big block
you cant add forced induction
you must have a tilted steering wheel
you must have brand new everything in the suspension and braking department (new discs and pads etc)

lots of rules and regulations
and they are checked thru every stage of the build process by engineers etc
Hate to be pedantic, but doesn't it depend on what state you are in as to what rules to follow and what rules were in place when the build started???
Old 14-03-2006, 10:02 AM   #11
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokkas
Yeah, you're right. I love the things to death, but too many people focus on the engines, and neglect brakes and suspension. As beautiful they are, they are death machines at times.
your right there mate, thats correct doesnt matter how fast you can go if you cant stop or steer there isnt any point to it. Thats why im making sure my braking system is good.
agony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 10:08 AM   #12
BJ
Banned

Quote:
I would like to no were you got your misinformed info from. Having be involved with this type of car/hobby i can tell you most of them are safer than what you are driving. Maybe you should talk to some one who owns one and get there point of view. Most of the comments here are all base on hear Say. I will tell you now i would much rather drive a Hot Rod than some of the late model modified cars around. As for your comment about them not being designed for such powerful engines, why do you thing they have to be engineered?? just for the fun of it. And as for safety features don't they all have upgraded brakes and steering and seat belts just like your car?? What happened was an unfortunate accident.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 12:20 PM   #13
bartaxr8

Default What The????????

I don't know what state blackers10 is from but here in Vic I think those rules are way off. We have 3 Hot Rods in our car collection and we are failrly well involved in the hobby. Why can't you have a "big block" when you can modify a "small block" to make as much power? What defines a "big block"? The FE engine family is known as a "big block" and it's smallest capacity was 332 cu.in. The Windsor engine family is known as a "small block" but it's biggest capacity was 351 cu.in. I know it's not much but I can never understand this whole "big blocks" are more powerful thing. I know of many a car down here that gets rego with old style I beam axles, radius rods and drum brakes.

Last edited by bartaxr8; 14-03-2006 at 12:36 PM.
bartaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 12:23 PM   #14
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

HOW TRUE bartaxr8 DONT THINK HE KNOWS WHAT HE TALKING ABOUT
agony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 01:47 PM   #15
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im in QLD..
and the "no big block" is what my uncle told me yesterday..

he said somthing about not being able to have a 350? or bigger
or somthing like that

this is for ROAD REGO.. not for club rego..

rules are a bit different state to state

but if i can be proved wrong then go for it
just what i was told
Old 14-03-2006, 09:50 PM   #16
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just looked at the regs, and I can't find any reference to what your uncle said...

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/LTASinfo.nsf/ReferenceLookup/Special_Interest_Vehicle_Guide.pdf/$file/Special_Interest_Vehicle_Guide.pdf

It does mention that all Rods in general must comply with all the specs in the Australian Street Rod Federation's QLD street rod guidelines.

It then mentions additional conditions apply to the "Special Interest Vehicle Consession Scheme".
Old 14-03-2006, 10:49 PM   #17
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
I would like to no were you got your misinformed info from. Having be involved with this type of car/hobby i can tell you most of them are safer than what you are driving. Maybe you should talk to some one who owns one and get there point of view. Most of the comments here are all base on hear Say. I will tell you now i would much rather drive a Hot Rod than some of the late model modified cars around. As for your comment about them not being designed for such powerful engines, why do you thing they have to be engineered?? just for the fun of it. And as for safety features don't they all have upgraded brakes and steering and seat belts just like your car?? What happened was an unfortunate accident.
Come on do you really think that something that was designed 70 plus years ago is going to be safer than something built in the last 10 years!
Old 14-03-2006, 10:53 PM   #18
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Come on do you really think that something that was designed 70 plus years ago is going to be safer than something built in the last 10 years!
I guess going buy your biased opinion you have never owned one or driven one. We are talking about cars that are not 70 years old they are made with new rails new brakes new suspension, get the picture. You are the type that i dose not matter what is said you will not understand. Do you no how the accident happened, no you don't. Do you no what caused it no you don't. So until you have some concrete evidence as to what happened can you keep your well informed opinions to your self.
Old 14-03-2006, 11:03 PM   #19
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
I guess going buy your biased opinion you have never owned one or driven one. We are talking about cars that are not 70 years old they are made with new rails new brakes new suspension, get the picture. You are the type that i dose not matter what is said you will not understand. Do you no how the accident happened, no you don't. Do you no what caused it no you don't. So until you have some concrete evidence as to what happened can you keep your well informed opinions to your self.
Ever heard of crumple zones, ABS, Seat belt pre tensioners, airbags must I go on!
Old 14-03-2006, 11:16 PM   #20
Typhoon 270
Starter Motor

This is the first time i've heard about this fatal looks like it might be on the late news tonite then.
Old 14-03-2006, 11:19 PM   #21
bartaxr8

BJ you made a very valid point. None of us here know, and we will probably never know, the circumstances around this particular accident. Remeber guys, any car no matter old it is can be dangerous in the wrong hands. I'm not saying that it was the drivers fault in this case but for people to say that the only reason that these people died is because they were driving a hot rod is absolute bullИИИИ.
bartaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 11:33 PM   #22
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Ever heard of crumple zones, ABS, Seat belt pre tensioners, airbags must I go on!
Now if you where to look at the regs regarding new singularly manufactured vehicles you would see that most of them have to now be fitted with all of this. And This where you theory goes out the window because you ha vent bothered to look into it properly. Most of the Hot Rods on the road are more road worthy than most other cars on the road they have to be. But it would seem that you are not prepared to agree to disagree are you. I will leave you with your narrow mindedness and enjoy my Hot Rod. Bj
Old 14-03-2006, 11:35 PM   #23
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon 270
This is the first time i've heard about this fatal looks like it might be on the late news tonite then.
It actually happened last week.
Old 14-03-2006, 11:48 PM   #24
Dodge
i like to be stroked

driving anything with the steering wheel 2"from ur nuts is impossable
Old 15-03-2006, 12:20 AM   #25
Scott

BJ - Don't forget it's a two way street. Every bloke with a rod (after some lubrication ;) )I've ever met is only too quick to brag about the "licence to do what they want" which comes with building rods.

As with all car enthusiast's, some play by the rules, some dont. IMPO, later model cars are a safer thing due to the inherent safety when manufactured. As you mentioned "new singularly manufactured vehicles" are held to stringent safety guidelines but that certainly doesn't mean that factory built chassis carry the same requirements. My guess is that this poor fella did things pretty right given the earlier comment on the $70k he might have spent on it. Luck's a b1tch sometimes.

Also, I hope this thread doesn't turn into a "he did this" or "he should have done that" discussion too.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 02:53 AM   #26
adxr8
Rebuilding the ED

Quote:
Most of these vehicles are ICV's (Individually Constructed Vehicles) and must adhere to strict guidelines while being planned/built. They have to meet a lot of standards in line with the year they are built and the power they wish to build them with. My mate is the chief engineer at QLD transport and he will be the first to tell you he wont make it easy. And yes he is into rods himself.

347 Dart block:All the Scat goodies, Edelbrock Victor Jnr's, Trickflow manifold and Vortech on the stand/ work in progress
adxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 10:19 PM   #27
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

C'mon guys, take a step back for a second eh.
Let's not get into an argument about what is safe or not(start another thread if you like).
This thread is about a tragic accident that has taken car enthusiasts(someones friends/relatives) lives.
I live pretty close to where the accident happened, yet haven't heard anymore about it then whats been written here. Unfortunately I was in Melbourne at the time otherwise would've posted local front page newspaper article on it.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 11:07 PM   #28
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

How often do we see THE LATEST MODEL CARS involved in fatal crashes???? How often do we see a Hotrod involved in fatal crashes?

This rod , to me looks like it was pretty much state of art type of stuff so was probobly not the quality of the rod! Something else may have happened so to say these men died becuase they were in this rod is the same as saying lady Di is dead because she was in that Merc. Lets face it. If she were somewhere else she wouldnt have been in that Merc when it crashed!

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 01:14 AM   #29
nb_351
building the xe...

what about these small cars nowadays? are they safer than a steel bodied rod? or old falc/holden... i highly doubt it... would barely scratch the bumper of an old girl, while crumpling the new car...
but back onto the subject, that is terrible... no news like that is easy on the eye or ears... especially if its the family that find them... no thank you...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 10:01 AM   #30
BJ
Banned

Well it would apear that it was a 1932 roadster not a 34 coupe. So much for the first post based on fact.