Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-10-2017, 03:50 PM   #1
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Default Removing anti-theft screws for number plate ?

How do you remove the anti-theft screws that hold a number plate and re-use them, the reason being is that I have them on my vehicle but just purchased some number plate protectors today and I need to use the existing holes if possible.

I can always drill them out or make a notch to get them out and just buy some more latter on, but if there is a way of removing them and being able to re-use them, that would be my preferred option.

thanks.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
FormulaFG
Lurking......
Donating Member1

Default Re: Removing anti-theft screws for number plate ?

Don't reckon you could reuse them. You'd be best of buying a new set and you'll probably have to destroy the set on there to get them off.
FormulaFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Japanese engineers pliers. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ENGINEER-...sAAOSwu-BWPCKJ or http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Engineer-...AOSwVfxZ0G6Mor http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/mini-plie...sAAOSwj9dZwu3u etc
Old 11-10-2017, 04:08 PM   #4
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe go to your local police station as they have been known to have days where they fit them for free
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2017, 05:18 PM   #5
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Thanks for that mate, good idea but for the price of them I would be better of just drilling out and buying some new anti-theft screws, although that tool could come in handy for future/unknown issues ?.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:19 PM   #6
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lever T View Post
Maybe go to your local police station as they have been known to have days where they fit them for free
Yeah I rang them but they didn't seem to be able to help.
This user likes this post:
Old 11-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #7
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

As you said, just use a grinder with thin cutting disc to cut a groove then remove like any other screw. Just buy new antitheft screws.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2017, 06:08 PM   #8
stig_3754

Not sure about other states but in VIC you should be able to go to any Police Station or Vic Roads Office and they should be able to remove them for you as they're meant to have the tools available, or at least that's what I was told when I got mine...

Past Rides:
1997 EL Ford Fairmont 4A - Navy Blue
2006 BK Mazda 3 SP23 5A - Carbon Grey
2010 LV Ford Focus XR5 Turbo 6M - Frozen White
2013 LW Ford Focus ST 6M - Panther Black
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2017, 08:03 PM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Thanks for that mate, good idea but for the price of them I would be better of just drilling out and buying some new anti-theft screws, although that tool could come in handy for future/unknown issues
Have a set of in different sizes; a whole family of Neji-sauruses from Japan, and they do prove useful for all sort of thinks in addition to removing screws with missing or damaged heads. Good for pulling wires through things too.

I don't have the optional jaw covers that make them look T-Rex like though.

Nonetheless a quality tool and up there with my favourite screwdrivers; the Japanses Sunflag Brand More detaisl of teh pliers here: http://www.engineer.jp/en/products/products_e.html
ones.

Last edited by aussiblue; 11-10-2017 at 08:16 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2017, 08:14 PM   #10
.:4:.
Kicking back

Whats the head of the screws look like? Security bit sets are readily available from most hardware stores. I got the kinchrome set I use for work for $20 from kmart of all places years ago. Depends on the screw head if they're designed only to be screwed in not out, but worst case I use vice grips to get a solid locked grip on the head and spin them out.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Whats the head of the screws look like?
Like these I imagine http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...12-Pack/357550 and on the Video there says your local Supercheap store staff have a special tool for their removal. So I suspect Supercheap will do it for free if you call in at a quiet time.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:49 PM   #12
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Like these I imagine http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...12-Pack/357550 and on the Video there says your local Supercheap store staff have a special tool for their removal. So I suspect Supercheap will do it for free if you call in at a quiet time.
Yeah so they're not designed to back out. It's a bit silly that the video says you can get the removal tool from supercheap, but the very worst case scenario there looks like there's enough meat on the side of the head to grip with vice grips or even multi grips or pliers to back them out. I would like to think security screws would be counter sunk to remove that option. To be fair though at the end of the day if a theif wants something bad enough they probably have thought of a way to get it anyway.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:50 PM   #13
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I assume the Superchap tool is like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZKEmGWzgtQ or https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Line-65.../dp/B00DUQ9LEM

Last edited by aussiblue; 11-10-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:57 PM   #14
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Yeah thats them,

I rang Autobarn and they were unable to help but I haven't tried Supercheap yet so I will give them a go, thanks mate.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:58 PM   #15
Kicking back

Quote:
I assume the Superchap tool is like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZKEmGWzgtQ
I love it how there's a how to video on how to steal things somebody has tried to protect. Personally on rounded out screws or security screws (if I don't have the right bit, no I'm not a criminal) if they aren't going to be re used I belt a larger flat blade screwdriver in to create a slot then go from there.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:00 PM   #16
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Yeah so they're not designed to back out. It's a bit silly that the video says you can get the removal tool from supercheap, but the very worst case scenario there looks like there's enough meat on the side of the head to grip with vice grips or even multi grips or pliers to back them out. I would like to think security screws would be counter sunk to remove that option. To be fair though at the end of the day if a theif wants something bad enough they probably have thought of a way to get it anyway.
I've tried the vice grips to no avail, as the screws are located up high in the corners and the plate has a lip around the edge, it's impossible to get a solid bite of the screw head, and theres not much meat on the head itself to take advantage of.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:02 PM   #17
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Just use a set of regular pliers

edit - just missed that you said you tried vice grips.

Bunnings and co usually sell security bit sets

Last edited by Windsor220; 11-10-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2017, 09:05 PM   #18
Lunch
Wait, what?

Yeah that's what the young fella across the road from me did, took him a while but he got there
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2017, 09:09 PM   #19
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
I love it how there's a how to video on how to steal things somebody has tried to protec
Yes and easily found by Googling. But they are not cheap or so readily available so not the tool that the casual thief is likely to have.....unless he or she has stolen them from somewhere else. Ditto with breaking into your car http://www.lockpicks.com/automotive/...ning-kits.html or even http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Door-...QAAOSwOzxZrSxK but the casual thief will just break a window.

Last edited by aussiblue; 11-10-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:12 PM   #20
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
I've tried the vice grips to no avail, as the screws are located up high in the corners and the plate has a lip around the edge, it's impossible to get a solid bite of the screw head, and theres not much meat on the head itself to take advantage of.
Fair call. My plates are short 5 character plates so they are mounted by the inner holes. I've had extremely limited success with those screws (I've spent a lot of time doing demolitions ) bashing a screw driver to create a slot into the slope that stops reversal. The easy way is drill them out but you want to retain them so munting them up and risking the plates or the cars paint isn't an option at all.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:35 PM   #21
nstg8a

I just use a big flat plate screw driver, plenty of pressure and unscrew them.

They're about as theft proof as leaving your keys in the ignition and your car parked in the street over night....
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2017, 10:46 PM   #22
Tiger57

Have you tried your local Paint and Panel Shop? They would be removing those screws all the time.
Tiger57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2017, 10:56 PM   #23
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. If the screw is made to be removed (not all of them are) there will be a small flat on the outer edge of the head of the screw. The tool that fits the screw get enough grip on this flat to remove the screw in most cases as the screw is only done up with a blade screwdriver. To find someone with the tool you need to find out who is doing the "free" fittings of these screws in your area, it may be a rotary club, a lions club or the SES. They should have a contact for someone with the tool, it could be a repco, a supercheap or an autobarn and it may be in the next suburb. and you will need the contact name for the holder of the tool, it wont be sitting in a box beside the till where everyone can get to it. If the screw doesn't have the small flat on it try using some 6 inch side cutters to get a grip on the edge of the screw as the cheap screws are a bit softer than the ones that use the tool. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2017, 11:27 PM   #24
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I put some elbow grease into them with the vice grips and got them out, so yeah if your fair dinkum they aren't really that much of an anti-theft, I suppose they would slow a would be thief down but still removable.

Anyway I have completed what I needed to do, thanks for everyones opinions and help.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:36 PM   #25
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

I dont use them because I clean behind the plates every now and then!
Old 12-10-2017, 02:16 PM   #26
Blue_XR

If you have access to a dremel use that with a small thin blade. Make a small notch then use a regular flat head screwdriver to get the screw out. I did it with my front number place when I needed to remove it and it worked a treat.
Old 14-10-2017, 08:22 AM   #27
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
I put some elbow grease into them with the vice grips and got them out....
Similar situation here on a car I bought a couple of years ago. A few taps with a hammer and a screwdriver to loosen them and then pliers to wind them out.

I threw the stupid effing screws away and used regular ones.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post