Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 29-12-2012, 01:45 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry Police boost speed gun numbers for 2013 in reponse to Queensland road roll

Police boost speed gun numbers for 2013 in reponse to Queensland road roll

by: Thomas Chamberlin
December 29, 2012 12:00AM

POLICE will dramatically beef up their speed gun arsenal in frustration at the carnage on Queensland's roads.

Declaring war on motorists who ignore speed limits, police are determined to avoid a repeat of the shocking start to 2012, as the state's annual road toll edges closer to 300.

The Courier-Mail can reveal police have bought 32 new portable speed cameras to add to their existing 12.

In the next six months, police will increase their mobile speed camera use to 89,000 hours for the financial year, after having an extra 8000 hours approved.

The move is aimed at preventing a repeat horror January road toll, where 21 people died in the first 25 days of this year, and comes as motorists have been clocked at reckless speeds in suburban streets during the Christmas period, including one almost two-and-a-half times over the speed limit in Townsville.

"The message isn't getting out that speed kills," State Traffic Support Branch acting Superintendent Paul Fogg said. "The community has got to be aware that our capacity to enforce speed has been increased and they can expect to find greater focus on speed enforcement."
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226544788600

Last edited by flappist; 29-12-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: leave out the party politics
Old 29-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 
Default Re: Police boost speed gun numbers for 2013 in reponse to Queensland road roll

Paul Fogg trying to get his name in the news it appears nothing more that a touch of an ego massage. Everybody knows its about the revenue when it comes to speed cameras, but changing their tune would be quite embarrassing so they wont.

Seriously? Doing 65 in a 60 zone is like driving after a few beers. If Joe Public believes that, Qlders are thick.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

Last edited by rancidpunx; 29-12-2012 at 09:36 AM.
This user likes this post:
Old 29-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Police boost speed gun numbers for 2013 in reponse to Queensland road roll

Police do their job and have increased their presence on the road... OMG!!!!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 29-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose View Post
Police do their job and have increased their presence on the road... OMG!!!!
No, QLD police with more handheld devices are not on the road, they are behind trees and bus shelters. They are not increasing marked patrol cars.
The Work Truck

2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

What was the road toll 10 / 20 years ago ??
Has nothing to do with state budget !!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 29-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

mehhh
dont speed
4 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
mehhh
dont speed
Yep walk...
Its the 6 / 10 kph over that gripes me !!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 29-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
No, QLD police with more handheld devices are not on the road, they are behind trees and bus shelters. They are not increasing marked patrol cars.
Ahh no.... more police presence on road...

Quote:
In the next six months, police will increase their mobile speed camera use to 89,000 hours for the financial year, after having an extra 8000 hours approved.
Everyone on here agrees that speed cameras arent effective... so now the police will be on the road more and people still complain???

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 29-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There were QLD stats out last year I think it was that JUST 3% of fatalities involved SPEEDING! The other speed related were under the speed limit. Lies lies and statistics is the saying....

And these 3% of speeding accidents could also be drunks, or drugged, or stolen etc!!

The real hoon death events give them a !reason! to put out this sort of marketing rubbish to make more cash, and make the news but are what once a year!?!!
Old 29-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #10
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats not "more" police, its more speed cameras!

Also notice the police media say :"financial year!"! ....
Old 29-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

I wouldn't want my friends in regional QLD to feel left out, so I proposed that all the new cameras go there
Old 29-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240 View Post
Yep walk...
Its the 6 / 10 kph over that gripes me !!
dunno about that
yeah fair enough a couple of kms over but 10 kms?
thats 60 in a 50
imagine hitting a kid that ran out and seriously doing some damage and then forever living with man if i was only doing 50 and not 58 ?
wondering what would of been

about 12 months ago
i was running late for work but had to nip to somewhere else to pick something up, get home and drop it off, then get to work for arvo shift
where i am the roads are nice and windy with a 100km limit down to 80 for a couple of small towns
on the way back home after picking up the parcel/package i sort of sped
went past one car and then came up to an old lady in something who decided she wanted to do 60 in the the 100 zone
she saw me coming and pulled over

i got home dropped off the parcel and quickly ducked to the deli on the way to work
as i walk out the deli a short fat women asks to speak to me...and flashes a badge
got absolutely reemed by her, and rightly so she said i went past her like she was standing still (she was the car i over took)
she was not happy and the language was as best as i could dish out
she was off duty and told me next time she sees me when she is in uniform i better look out.

fast forward to last easter holiday and good friends of ours had there son killed right in front of them when he stepped out into the road and a speeding motorist cleaned him up...doing over 50 in a 50 zone

the little fella is now upstairs (was 4) and i tell you what
it brings everything into perspective

but it took those two incidents to make me realize that being ten mins late is better than not making it.
cruise control is now my friend
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose View Post
Ahh no.... more police presence on road...

Again NO

Mobile cameras are not there to stop people that have been speeding or even provide a deterrent. By the time a car passes a STATIONARY van on the side of the road the offence has already been committed and recorded. The speeding vehicle is free to go on their merry way. Not to mention Qld has a "Any Car, Any Time" policy which means a vast chunk of mobile cameras are covert and again means you are wrong with the police presence on the road. They may well be out there, but if nobody knows it then its going to do bugger all apart from bring in some pennies from fines. VISIBLE police vehicles cruising is a far bigger deterrent for any road related offence as well as provide a big deterrent for other crimes.
The Work Truck

6 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #14
EVLKNEVL

http://www.carr.org.au/d-buckingham.pdf
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #15
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVLKNEVL View Post
Heretic
Heretic

Burn the witch

Cast ye down foul demon for thy lies will not be heard here.

I believe in one God, revenue almighty,
maker of department and service,
and in Speed Camera, his begotten son, our saviour

Who was conceived by the rabid academics
born of the bankrupt treasuries
suffered under state election promises
was crucified debunked and buried.

It descended into deficit.

The third year it arose again from the dead;

It ascended into surplus,
and sitteth on the right hand of Premier the almighty;
from thence it shall come to judge the quick and the slow.

I believe in the Safety Camera;
the hoon laws;
the oppression of car enthusiasts;
the forgiveness of sins other than traffic laws;
the resurrection of the supercar ban;
and wowserism everlasting.

Amen.
3 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #16
bingoTE50
Steve

If you see a Silver Escape holding up traffic ,sticking to the speed limit , particularly on the Logan, Gateway tollways it is I . And if my finger offends you as you flash me to hurry ,tough. I travel 73k's to work along the toll roads and I am driving for me now..
I got done recently in early Dec at 7.26am on a workday in a line of cars with the Officer on one knee with a hand held ,crouching near a large grassy bush in the middle of the Gateway Motorway near Runcorn .I thought for a second some bloke was aiming a pistol at me as a joke. The funny thing was ,he was facing us ,but the photo was from behind ? Is there a remote camera now? Anyway , my next car might be a EJ Holden ,flat out 75 mph , should be ok then .
Old 29-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #17
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Only 9 months and a bit to go then it’s back to the NT for me.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50 View Post
If you see a Silver Escape holding up traffic ,sticking to the speed limit , particularly on the Logan, Gateway tollways it is I . And if my finger offends you as you flash me to hurry ,tough. I travel 73k's to work along the toll roads and I am driving for me now..
I got done recently in early Dec at 7.26am on a workday in a line of cars with the Officer on one knee with a hand held ,crouching near a large grassy bush in the middle of the Gateway Motorway near Runcorn .I thought for a second some bloke was aiming a pistol at me as a joke. The funny thing was ,he was facing us ,but the photo was from behind ? Is there a remote camera now? Anyway , my next car might be a EJ Holden ,flat out 75 mph , should be ok then .
So what you are saying is that you purposely interfere with the flow of traffic endangering other road users because you believe you are the most important road user and all others should drive the way you think is correct.

With that attitude I can understand why you may have thought someone was aiming a pistol at you......

Last edited by flappist; 29-12-2012 at 02:42 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #19
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
mehhh
dont speed
What about people that get "pinged" that are not beaking the speed limit? You wouldn't be so meh then.....
Old 29-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #20
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Only 9 months and a bit to go then it’s back to the NT for me.....
Get here sooner if you can.... The place is filling up with southern do gooders that have no clue about anything.... Sad thing is that they are allowed to vote......
Old 29-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #21
EVLKNEVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50 View Post
There you have it, folks. Take a good look: Here is a well-illustrated instance of a speed trap doing its job, fulfilling its purpose.

So if you wish to be a selfish, rude, unreasonable, antagonistic, self-righteous, irritable, hostile and potentially dangerous road user, simply get yourself pinged by one of our many radars and then vent your frustration in a manner that bears upon unsuspecting fellow motorists. For all this, you'll still be down a few hundred dollars and a point or three, but at least in your own mind the root of the issue is dismissed.

Last edited by EVLKNEVL; 29-12-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 29-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #22
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

5ks over in suburbia and you double your chance of being in an accident and suffering an injury? Wat.

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
Old 29-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #23
1TUFFUTE
Banned

the masses will believe this white lie garbage they advertise.

Me personally say if they want to revenue raise...then ill agree the speed limits should be raised...aswell as the condition of the roads....now thats a joke. 3% of accidents were caused by speed......and yet this is an excuse to cut staff but increase gear that brings in revenue. We are run by a load of scum bottom feeders with only personel interests involved.

I honestly believe if they want to reduce deaths...they need to teach people(majority women) to respect cars and what they can do.....and thats a fact
Old 29-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I like the part that says "Driving 10kmh over the speed limit in a rural area doubles the possibility of being in an accident".

So as soon as you cross the Qld's border into NSW you double the accident risk ?

By that reckoning as soon as you cross from Qld into the NT you crash instantly!
Old 29-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #25
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
fast forward to last easter holiday and good friends of ours had there son killed right in front of them when he stepped out into the road and a speeding motorist cleaned him up...doing over 50 in a 50 zone
The reason for a 50 limit is that in settled areas where it is applied there is likely to be a fair amount of pedestrian activity. This is why it is a good idea to stick to it and that's what the police should be promoting. The Qld police are totally on the wrong tack associating it with accidents between vehicles - and the linking of 5 km/h over with a blood alcohol level is just ridiculous, it seems to suggest they have no idea what they're on about.
Old 29-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #26
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

I see this thread lasting.....

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

Old 29-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #27
paulb351

I am interested in the Police saying Speeding is involved in 20% of fatal accidents, so we are forgetting about the 80% ... Nothing like concentrating on what will provide dividends in a lower road toll (not)...

As another poster identified, the 20% may also involve other factors such as alcohol or drugs so the usual sensational reporting and useless initiatives except the old revenue raising outcome and more donkeys on our highways and byways busy watching their speedo's instead of the road and concentrating on driving properly.

Don't get me started on those on the motorway in the right hand lane not overtaking and refusing to move to the left.

<<<Frustration rising (again!)>>>
Old 29-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #28
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I like the part that says "Driving 10kmh over the speed limit in a rural area doubles the possibility of being in an accident".

So as soon as you cross the Qld's border into NSW you double the accident risk ?

By that reckoning as soon as you cross from Qld into the NT you crash instantly!
Try SA to NT, same same roads on the Stuart highway, limit 110 in SA, 130 in NT. Nothing has changed except the speed limit!!!

Subaru Outback '02
Old 29-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #29
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Police boost speed gun numbers for 2013 in reponse to Queensland road roll

by: Thomas Chamberlin
December 29, 2012 12:00AM

"The message isn't getting out that state revenue is down," State Traffic Support Branch acting Superintendent Paul Fogg said. "The community has got to be aware that our capacity to increase revenue has been increased and they can expect to find greater focus on speed enforcement to boost state coffers."
Fixed quote.
Old 29-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #30
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
There were QLD stats out last year I think it was that JUST 3% of fatalities involved SPEEDING! The other speed related were under the speed limit. Lies lies and statistics is the saying....

And these 3% of speeding accidents could also be drunks, or drugged, or stolen etc!!

The real hoon death events give them a !reason! to put out this sort of marketing rubbish to make more cash, and make the news but are what once a year!?!!
What a load of crap!! The only way I'm going to believe such crap is if you show my prove of this to shut me up!!

What causes the other 97% then?
Closed Thread