Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 
Default Heathcote Raceway Deadly Crash - let's play blame some one else

I hate Australia and this BS !!!!!!!!! Lets blame everyone else and not take responsibilty for our own actions and then get paid for being stupid!!! - although in this case the person died but i am sure someone is wanting some sort of payment $$$$

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/...px?storypage=2

Quote:
Car at fault in deadly Heathcote crash: coroner

A CORONER has found the death of a 38-year-old Japanese man in a racing car accident in Heathcote in 2006 could have been prevented by a mechanical check of the vehicle.

Manabu Kondo was killed when the jet-powered car he was test-driving at the Heathcote Raceway crashed into a barrier and disintegrated.

In a report handed down in the coroners court yesterday, Coroner Peter White concluded problems with the car’s wheel bearings caused the car to shudder violently as it approached its top speed, knocking Mr Kondo unconscious.

He said Mr Kondo then lost control of the vehicle, which veered into a safety barrier. However, Mr White said the accident was preventable.

He said the man who sold the car, Kevin Hinkling, the operator of Heathcote Raceway, Russell Clarke, and Mr Kondo himself should have ensured the vehicle had undergone a basic mechanical check.

“The failure of Mr Clarke, Mr Kondo and Mr Hinkling – all of whom had either experience or training in engineering – to undertake... anything approaching an adequate risk evaluation of the ongoing performance testing of the jet car was dangerous in the extreme,” he said.

Mr Kondo had travelled to Australia in October 2006 with rthe aim of buying a jet car and was put in touch with Mr Hinkling by Mr Clarke. After arranging to buy the vehicle, Mr Kondo had it transported for trial at the Heathcote Raceway on the proviso Mr Hinkling would come to check the car and teach him how to drive it, but Mr Hinkling left after giving only brief instructions.

Mr Kondo then started test runs of the car, building up speed under the guidance of Mr Clarke. After a the fifth or sixth run Mr Kondo noticed the vehicle was vibrating. There were also problems with cracking on the car’s wings and a braking parachute deploying early.

Despite these issues, Mr Kondo decided to complete a final run, aiming for 95 per cent power or about 320kmh. It was on this run that the car malfunctioned, leaving the track at an estimated speed of about 300km/h.

A subsequent examination of the car by Senior Sergeant Le Guier of the mechanical investigation unit showed the car’s wheel bearings were incorrect, the wheel nuts were loose and the hubs damaged.

“Senior Sergeant Le Guier further opined that the issues identified concerning the rear wheel lateral movement and loose wheel nuts could have been easily detected had the vehicle been placed on a jack before use,” Mr White said.

In the coronal inquest, Mr Hinkling argued he had sold the vehicle to Mr Kondo for display purposes only. But Mr White dismissed the claim, saying Mr Kondo had said on a number of occasions he wanted to “drive the vehicle at speed”.

Mr White noted that the builder of the car had told the coroners court it was never designed for drag racing and was not built to travel at more than 220 to 240km/h.

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
prasac
Banned

Default Re: Heathcote Raceway Deadly Crash - let's play blame some one else

if the car was built not to go over 220km/h why would the owner let him push it that hard?
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

peter russell clarke?
Old 17-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These are the reasons that ANDRA have Tech Inspections and scrutineering before competition. Let a jet car run down the track with loose wheel bearings and wheel nuts, for mine anyone associated with this unfortunate episode needs a reaming so let it begin.
Old 17-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
I hate Australia and this BS !!!!!!!!! Lets blame everyone else and not take responsibilty for our own actions and then get paid for being stupid!!! - although in this case the person died but i am sure someone is wanting some sort of payment $$$$

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/...px?storypage=2
what are you trying to say...

sounds to me like it was a poorly designed and maintained bucket of s......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
er um... the coroner blamed the right people.

not following what you mean at all???

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

LOL so most people here would buy a Jet Car and Race it down the 1/4 mile without having it checked out first? - um common sense?

Ok so fair enough but then if it started vibrating at high speeds and its wing started to crack you would then just say lets go for another run but much faster - that makes more sense does it - ok then

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
LOL so most people here would buy a Jet Car and Race it down the 1/4 mile without having it checked out first? - um common sense?

Ok so fair enough but then if it started vibrating at high speeds and its wing started to crack you would then just say lets go for another run but much faster - that makes more sense does it - ok then
The whole point here is we all would have it checked and the coroner is saying exactly the same thing. The guy selling it, the poor unfortunate who bought it and the bloke running the track/helping the poor unfortunate run the car are all to blame because NONE bothered to check it.
Old 17-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd dad
The whole point here is we all would have it checked and the coroner is saying exactly the same thing. The guy selling it, the poor unfortunate who bought it and the bloke running the track/helping the poor unfortunate run the car are all to blame because NONE bothered to check it.
Um.. Mr Kondo had driven the car a few times before he decided to hammer it. He was the one behind the wheel when the accident happened. Surely he would have felt the vibrations and would have noticed something was seriously wrong unless he was deaf and had a numb body? And being on a racetrack, isn't there some kind of disclaimer for liability, given that motor racing has inherent risks?
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #10
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just because you can afford one, doesn't mean you know how to drive one. He should have stopped when he felt the first shudder.

Darwin award in IMO.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Sorted, we know what it is like to race at Heathcote. (well those of us who go to the AFF Drag Days do ) The cars get checked before racing when it is scrutineered, anything after that, is the drivers responsibilty. They do check the cars on the line though if they are leaking fluid etc..

The driver is ultimately responsible to check their car before, and after racing. How can someone else be blamed for a mechanical fault that can only be felt when driving the car??

The car could have been fine on the start line and then break down on the track. I have seen it happen many a time.

This will just give the wowsers another opportunity to say racing, even on a track, is too dangerous a sport and should be stopped.

Cheers
Col

Last edited by Geez Louise; 17-02-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: added more info
Geez Louise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #12
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Just because you can afford one, doesn't mean you know how to drive one. He should have stopped when he felt the first shudder.

Darwin award in IMO.
tough crowd...

i would think more a victim of circumstances...

even notice the little bit that mentioned he was japanese...

possible language barrier issues all over this event....
Old 17-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #13
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

see my reply above......
Old 17-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
naughts
Hmmmmm Mulberry....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd dad
So, who checks the wheel bearings when you buy a new car??? Or a second hand one for that matter.
naughts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #15
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughts
So, who checks the wheel bearings when you buy a new car??? Or a second hand one for that matter.
A street car? Virtually no one.

A jet powered car designed to be run down the dragstrip? Anyone with half a brain would do so...wouldn't you check over every nut and bolt on that bomb on wheels?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #16
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Understand that Coroners can only hand down 'findings', they can't prosecute anyone, they can recomend that the Police lay charges, but it is only a recomendation, that is is all the Coroner can do

I think you are flying off the handle here about what the Coroner said, he can't fine them, charge them, jail them - nothing
Old 17-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #17
ZcAmbo

Before we take my wife's car to heathcote to race i spend the week before just going over things making sure everything is okay. So far never had a issue with breaking down or breaking parts to me just common sense check your vehicle over before you go flat out down a track. When being scrutineered ive never had the wheels jacked up to check wheel bearings. Also dont most cars that run 9's and quicker have to have like a cams book or somthing simular saying the car is up to scratch.
ZcAmbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #18
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
tough crowd...

i would think more a victim of circumstances...

even notice the little bit that mentioned he was japanese...

possible language barrier issues all over this event....
Maybe,

But if you noticed a vibration in your front end at mid track, would you back off, or keep up it?

I wonder if he had the required skill to be driving a jet powered car. Hence my comment.

I wouldn't just jump in to a Top Fueller after only having driven my XR8 down the quarter.
Old 17-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #19
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Maybe,

But if you noticed a vibration in your front end at mid track, would you back off, or keep up it?

I wonder if he had the required skill to be driving a jet powered car. Hence my comment.

I wouldn't just jump in to a Top Fueller after only having driven my XR8 down the quarter.
and youve never bought a car with an un noticed but fairly obvious fault...
Old 17-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #20
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have indeed. I didnt push the car until I had diagnosed and rectified the fault though.

There were faults appearing after his 5th or 6th run. Vibration, Parachute opening, and a cracked rear wing. Instead of doing checks then, he decided to go faster.

Common sense should have said, this isn't right.

When people like this ignore tell tale signs that something is not right, it ultimately affects the rest of us. Its why we are in such a damn nanny state now.
Old 17-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #21
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

commonsense is a wonderfull thing in hindsight.....
Old 17-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #22
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Too true!
Old 17-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #23
Ibo
Force Fed Ford

I feel bad for anyone involved.

But seriously, If i bought a jet powered race car I would go over it with a fine tooth comb before taking it down the strip. And if after a few runs i noticed things not going right, I would stop and go over it again with professional help.
Old 17-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #24
henry351

Quote:
Commonsense ain't that common
henry351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #25
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Motor Racing is dangerous, every now and then accidents happen. Simple oversights can turn into disasters.

If the onwner of the car followed the warnings, he would still be here.

No one else is to blame, not the track, not the officals, just the driver/owner.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #26
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

So at the start of your life you start with a bucket of luck to keep you safe.

As you go through life, you start filling a bucket of common sense, or experience.

The trick is to get one sufficiently full before the other runs empty.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #27
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i cannot see what the problem is. a car that was capable (and expected to do) around 200-300 kph was not given a proper safety inspection. if i am selling my car to someone that is going to give it a caning, i have to make sure the car is safe

for sure the driver is probably mainly at fault, because he was in control of it, but no one is ever 100% innocent or guilty. there is always something, someone could have done better and the coroner is just expressing this

i assume the driver did not tell the court that he was suffering from vibrations and other issues after a few runs, so who told the court that. assuming it was either mr hinkling or mr clarke, why did one of them not stop the car from attempting any more runs????
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #28
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Why didn't he pull the pin when he noticed the car had issues? To not stop and find the problem, ignore it and continue on to go faster is just sheer stupidity, and he paid for it with his life.

Can't just lump the blame on the previous owner or builder.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #29
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
so who told the court that. assuming it was either mr hinkling or mr clarke, why did one of them not stop the car from attempting any more runs????
I think this answers your question, I took this from the first post, likely you didn't read this bit
Quote:
A subsequent examination of the car by Senior Sergeant Le Guier of the mechanical investigation unit showed the car’s wheel bearings were incorrect, the wheel nuts were loose and the hubs damaged
Old 17-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #30
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Why didn't he pull the pin when he noticed the car had issues? To not stop and find the problem, ignore it and continue on to go faster is just sheer stupidity, and he paid for it with his life.

Can't just lump the blame on the previous owner or builder.
no one has lumped the blame on the previous owner. they are laying some blame on them. the driver was most at fault, but others could have done something to stop it from happening

this is intersting though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The organisers should be taking the brunt and the police chief who was supposed to be organising the safety.
when troy critchley drives a drag car with no safety barriers he is hardly to blame for his stupidity. but when a no name wannabee driver performs a similar act of stupidity, it is all his fault
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post