Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 21-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
oki
Starter Motor

Default DRIVE SHAFT Boot Festiva WF‏

So I bought from Ebay drive shafts to replace old ones which had their outer boots split and clicking.

after putting the driver side , long one with damper, I looked at it and the inner boot near the transmission is stretched and out of shape / deformed

see pictures

I can only think of these cases
1- I got wrong shaft length and joint is being stretched

2-The Boot itself is being stretched , because the genius who assembled it placed the clamps too far , I measured the old boot and the distance between is 7.5 to 8 cm while these are almost 10.5 to 11cm meaning 3 cm more.
not sure if joint stretched causing boot to stretch or boot is stretched because distance between clamps is overdone.

3-last possibility, there is no air inside, vacuum causing this deform of boots.

I am worried about boots will tear / split very quickly if left and car is driven like this

should I remove the clamp the small one and make the distance less and hope that I can put the boot back in shape and let some air in,or????

can you advise me what are your thoughts and what I should do to correct this situation.

thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-IMG_20140417_131213.jpg (48.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg mini-IMG_20140417_131230.jpg (41.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg mini-IMG_20140417_131252.jpg (39.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg mini-IMG_20140418_170037.jpg (62.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg mini-IMG_20140418_170042.jpg (49.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg mini-IMG_20140418_170048.jpg (53.8 KB, 33 views)
oki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
oki
Starter Motor

Default Re: DRIVE SHAFT Boot Festiva WF‏

For the benefit of others who might encounter same problem, I relaxed the small clamp , put screwdriver under the boot and let some air in while pressing on the rubber to bring back the boot into shape, looks like there was no enough air inside , thus vacuum.

one week, and 28 views, not a single suggestion,

hopefully next time I post a question, more helpful views will be rolling in.
oki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post