Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #121
Mad_Pom

Default Re: FG Falcon MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Can you even option LSD on the bog stocker ute?? I thought it was for XR6T only??
did you not see post 41? LSD standard on all XR
Old 15-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #122
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
show me a MK2 in recent times that has made major improvements? I'll give you the turbo power increase, but who needs more as a stock level. Easy enough to change, drastically.
Three and half years is a long, long time between drinks for a model update.
Old 15-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #123
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

EDIT: never mind, I've seen it.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 15-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #124
EFFalcon
Last warning

ford could have probably added 5kw accross the range, without doing a thing.
and people would have accepted it, simply because you can't tell
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
Old 15-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #125
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
Three and a half years and we get:-
G series that certainly looks less balanced in the front, G series 1 is much better looking
Gaping lower cooling area for XR series that looks well, just plain unbalanced and ugly
No improvement to the so called premium 150 watt stereo system
No horsepower increase to turbo models ?
No Ford sync, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control
Basically the same shape.

Really I'm quite underwhelmed.
The only good part for those of us who have upgraded recently is theres really not much we have missed out on!

I agree its probably a bit light on but they are only following what Holden did with the VEII... The competition is what dominates the focus, they both like being on par with each other...

All in all I think its been a fair upgrade, however they really should have given G6 / XR owners the option of HID / Xenon's, auto wipers and adaptive cruise control... a 2 year old Mondeo has all that and its a cheaper car.
Old 15-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #126
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Three and half years is a long, long time between drinks for a model update.
yes but so what? The modern consumer is obsessed with things having to change all the time, it's causing so much waste.

If people, especially an enthusiast forum got behind the product as a whole maybe we could change the future of what the Falcaurus may become.

Every time a new product is released, or a revision there's an overwhelming amount of people that just come on to poo-poo it, with whatever reason they can grasp.

Anyway it looks good to me.
Old 15-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #127
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So its a FG MkI with new headlight bulbs (lights look the same apart from that) & a new front bar & grill (which I dont like myself) & a large colour screen as from the pics that is all that looks changed inside.

What happened to the new bonnet pressing like the Territory or even slimmer headlights with new guards etc...

Though is a bit early to really tell but from those pics a waste of time I would rather a FG Mk I :P
Old 15-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #128
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduce XR6
So its a FG MkI with new headlight bulbs (lights look the same apart from that) & a new front bar & grill (which I dont like myself) & a large colour screen as from the pics that is all that looks changed inside.

What happened to the new bonnet pressing like the Territory or even slimmer headlights with new guards etc...

Though is a bit early to really tell but from those pics a waste of time I would rather a FG Mk I :P
yes because the BF MKII XR6 had so many changes.
Old 15-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #129
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

No wonder Ford is trying to adopt the One Ford policy, I've seen nothing of interest in this thread saying the car is great, just *** whinge, whinge, whinge.

I'm gonna say it now, the sooner they can Falcon the sooner I can read some quality posts.
Old 15-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #130
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
The only good part for those of us who have upgraded recently is theres really not much we have missed out on!

I agree its probably a bit light on but they are only following what Holden did with the VEII... The competition is what dominates the focus, they both like being on par with each other...

All in all I think its been a fair upgrade, however they really should have given G6 / XR owners the option of HID / Xenon's, auto wipers and adaptive cruise control... a 2 year old Mondeo has all that and its a cheaper car.
You read my mind. Really this is exactly the effort I expected and what I punted on by buying the SC FG1, (that there wouldn't be anything meaningful to me in the FG2 update).

I agree about your other point and the new Mondeo has heaps of high tech that's missing in this FG2.

This "update" has been done on a very tight budget and quite frankly IMO it shows.

Last edited by Rodge; 15-09-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 15-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #131
djqc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Aerodynamic tunnels on the XR models? Are they talking about Lift reduction or drag reduction?
Good marketing. Probably does nothing for performance.
Old 15-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #132
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yes because the BF MKII XR6 had so many changes.
lol well it actually did have more changes than this & not only cosmetic either, thats right I owned one of them as well

But who cares about comparing what changes the BFII had over the BF as thats all so over & done with, this is here & now & 2 wrongs dont make a right assuming what you said was true (which it aint).
Old 15-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #133
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Some people need to think outside their little square.
the same could apply to you... i wasnt criticising LPG, nor the people that opt to get one. i was criticising the view that LPG will save Ford.

like i already said - you build the product the market wants, you dont tell the market what it should want.
Old 15-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #134
GT-E

I would say this the the last update on the last Australian designed and made car by Ford. They have gone to little effort because they are selling such small numbers of cars. Why bother doing much when no one is buying them. R&D costs money and needs to be recovered on each and every car. We will not pay $'000's more for each car to get all the latest gizmos as they will be lucky to sell 12,000 per year in the coming years. RIP Falcon
Old 15-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #135
djqc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_gt
Features look good, wonder if things like the touch screen could be retro fitted to FG1.
I'm not a fan of the bumpers tbh (right now), but I think most of that is because the pictures are stretched vertically. Because, if you look at the interior shot, the steering wheellooks like an oval.
So just imagine the outside as lower and wider
I would love to retrofit the 8 inch touch screen in the fg1!
Old 15-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #136
BlueOvalPrint

Quote:
No improvement to the so called premium 150 watt stereo system
Maybe they'll change the plug and wire up the premo subwoofer the correct way to improve it!!!
Old 15-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #137
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You read my mind. Really this is exactly the effort I expected and what I punted on by buying the SC FG1, (that there wouldn't be anything meaningful to me in the FG2 update).
But we dont know what FPV will add to FGII. Maybe much more of an improvement over FGI than Ford's effort (not that Ford's effort is terrible imo, just get rid of the ugly grill!!)
Old 15-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #138
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
lol well it actually did have more changes than this & not only cosmetic either, thats right I owned one of them as well

But who cares about comparing to what changes the BFII had over the BF as thats all so over & done with
uhh, the BF MK2 XR had no cosmetic changes aside from seat fabrics available, a different dash facia and late '07 a slightly different kit known as the aggressor. And the only mechanical change as far as i'm aware was going back to non-ventilated rear discs. I also owned a BF. Feel free to send me this miraculous list via PM And you care, you said there was bugger all change, but in comparison to BF-BF2 XR's there is more with FG2.

Just another example of what my second last post referred to.

edit: confused you with someone with a very similar alias - first paragraph still stands

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 15-09-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 15-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #139
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-E
I would say this the the last update on the last Australian designed and made car by Ford. They have gone to little effort because they are selling such small numbers of cars. Why bother doing much when no one is buying them. R&D costs money and needs to be recovered on each and every car. We will not pay $'000's more for each car to get all the latest gizmos as they will be lucky to sell 12,000 per year in the coming years. RIP Falcon
I hope you're wrong but really what is there to grab any FG1 owner by the gonads and tell them you must update ?

Where's for example even the extra cost option of an 8 speed ZF auto, or the extra cost option of "real" premium sound ?
Old 15-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #140
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
the same could apply to you... i wasnt criticising LPG, nor the people that opt to get one. i was criticising the view that LPG will save Ford.

like i already said - you build the product the market wants, you dont tell the market what it should want.
i've considered all fuel types and had 10 different Ford/lane/monts, i always think outside the box with most things. I wasn't directing that comment to you personally it was toward the general notion of LPG being inferior and 'taxi spec'
Old 15-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #141
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XESP351
But we dont know what FPV will add to FGII. Maybe much more of an improvement over FGI than Ford's effort (not that Ford's effort is terrible imo, just get rid of the ugly grill!!)
Mate, their budget is even tighter still. That henious lower cooler area will come in handy for the extra cooling required for the F6's power boost though, opps did I let that slip...
Old 15-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #142
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
show me a MK2 in recent times that has made major improvements?
VE2 got fuel economy improvements across the board, as well as E85 capability. granted, the E85 has probably had no real impact, but you couldnt deny Holden's put more resources into their update.
Old 15-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #143
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:

Nah... Theres another major update due yet... Give this one 18 months which will put us out to 2013... Id say mid to late 2013 we will get an FH which will be the last horrar for the aussie platform...

This car is a more meaningful upgrade then BA to BAII was, its just that the cars 3.5 years old where as it was only 2 years old when BA went to BAII...

Its a sign of the times no doubt but I still think Ford have done okay considering the circumstances..

On another note will FPV even get a new front bumper?? We know it will get the screen and the headlights, but is that where it will end? I hope not!
Old 15-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #144
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

EDIT: nevermind

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 15-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #145
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes but thats a defeatist attitude for them to have, is like oh they wont sell anyway so why waste money on a major overhaul, would it not be better for them to be more like Chrysler or Kia in regards to making huge improvements to for example the Jeep Grand Cherokee (which is now selling far more than any previous version) or almost the entire Kia range which is also selling well compared to previous versions of whatever model so they do sell more?

You wont find the Asians sitting back & saying why bother lol

In Fords defence however they are spending $$$ on drivetrains

And a twin Turbo v6 AWD Taurus sounds ok to me though it will be sad when the day comes that we have no locally designed & built Falcon
Old 15-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #146
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
VE2 got fuel economy improvements across the board, as well as E85 capability. granted, the E85 has probably had no real impact, but you couldnt deny Holden's put more resources into their update.
yes i meant Falcon MK2's though - E85 certainly went well, with Shell withdrawing their support
Old 15-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #147
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Where's for example even the extra cost option of an 8 speed ZF auto, or the extra cost option of "real" premium sound ?
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Thanks for the laugh.

You've gotta be kidding if you even had half a hope that was gonna happen. Be happy there is even a FGII update to speak of.

If I had the means I'd be jumping straight into a FGII XT LPi, but unless Ford wants to give me trade in for the Paj as what I owe on it, it ain't gonna happen.
Old 15-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #148
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes but thats a defeatist attitude for them to have, is like oh they wont sell anyway so why waste money on a major overhaul, would it not be better for them to be more like Chrysler or Kia in regards to making huge improvements to for example the Jeep Grand Cherokee (which is now selling far more than any previous version) or almost the entire Kia range which is also selling well compared to previous versions of whatever model so they do sell more?

You wont find the Asians sitting back & saying why bother lol

In Fords defence however they are spending $$$ on drivetrains

And a twin Turbo v6 AWD Taurus sounds ok to me though it will be sad when the day comes that we have no locally designed & built Falcon
As ive already said they are only focusing on their main competitor, the VE... When compared to the VEII, the FGII is pretty much on par model for model now except for the XR8 / SS loss that Ford still has to deal with... LPG will really help Falcon bounce back.

Holden can still maintain market domination with Commodore and its 2 years older then Falcon, with a poorer drivetrain!
Old 15-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #149
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
uhh, the BF MK2 XR had no cosmetic changes aside from seat fabrics available, a different dash facia and late '07 a slightly different kit known as the aggressor. And the only mechanical change as far as i'm aware was going back to non-ventilated rear discs. I also owned a BF. Feel free to send me this miraculous list via PM And you care, you said there was bugger all change, but in comparison to BF-BF2 XR's there is more with FG2.

Just another example of what my second last post referred to. Have you ever bought new? Wasn't the BF your dads car?
I did have a link back then to the list of improvements but that was back in 2007 or so however the list was larger than you have said & no the BFII XR6 I had was mine & paid for by my own cash & not a business or company lol

Just as the FG XR6 now & the Territory before that, then the 2 lasers before that etc etc all new all paid for by cash :P
Old 15-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #150
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Both Ecoboost and LPi will cost less than VE2 to run.

It cost Ford $232m to equip Falcon and Territory with Diesel, Ecoboost and LPi. How much did it cost Holden for their (inferior) "improvements"?