Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 23-08-2005, 09:32 AM   #1
losfp

Default Which insurance for my new focus?

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. But I was just interested in seeing what insurance companies owners of new LS Foci are going with, and how much you're paying. I've never had to insure a new car before (amazingly!), so I haven't got a clue what's reasonable and what's not. So far I have gone through the online quoting forms for a few companies - NRMA, GIO, Suncorp, Budget Direct, AAMI... and the cheapest I have found to insure a new LX Focus (full comp) is AAMI at about $800 - the others are 900-1000. For reference, I am male, 27.

Just wanting to double-check that I'm not going to be ripped off when I get it insured

Only a week and a half more to go!

losfp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2005, 10:50 AM   #2
whippet_zetec
Supes

I am with CGU in my Foci Zetec LR, cost is $1,012 on 60% no-claim bonus. Car is 12 months old and I am over 25. (all those things will make a difference), cost is a little higher as my Zetec is a 3 door as thus gets classed as coupe (sports) model :(

Best thing to do is check around on the online sites, NRMA, AAMI etc and see what quotes you get there as they can be good indicators. Once you have found one you think is reasonable call them as sometimes the quote over the phone can differ to the one you get in person.
Old 23-08-2005, 02:05 PM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

$800 for full comp sound sensational.

I pay $1,000 with full no claim bonus (I believe) for owner/driver at 23 y.o. through NRMA. They also insure my springs, my exhaust and my air filter as part of that. Can't complain!!
Old 23-08-2005, 03:00 PM   #4
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

I have a '03 LX and have been with N.R.M.A. for about 20years now (I'm 40) and have recently renewed my policy for $730.00 with a 65% No Claim Bonus and Agreed Value above the Market Value. Interestingly, when I was asked if I had modifications and mentioned my Factory hand-controls and I asked them what they had valued them at, they came back and quoted $3k to have them replaced if they or the car was stolen. After a quick phone call to FORD and confirming the replacement cost at $850.00, that bought the premium price down by about $50.00.

So, I reckon $800 is pretty good.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2005, 03:05 PM   #5
losfp

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I think I can even get the premium down to about $700 if I up the excess to about $1000. I've had one claim in 10 years of driving, so I might take that option.

Interestingly, the online quote builder for AAMI tells me that the premium will be about $30-40 cheaper if I put my fiancée down as the main driver (which she will be anyway, she drives to work each day, I take the train but drive on weekends). You'd think that after 25, the gender difference would level out, but apparently she is still less of a risk than I am. Ah well, cheaper is cheaper!
Old 26-08-2005, 11:36 PM   #6
simonr
Focus Rookie

i pay just over 2 grand...
its a bummer being 18, and drivin a zetec..
nah, its not that bad i guess..
Old 27-08-2005, 01:52 AM   #7
lincoln
Blinded

I've recently switched to GIO and have been very pleased.
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 06:02 PM   #8
Mick K.

I pay $452 per annum with RACQ for about 10kms from Brisbane's CBD . Rating 1, male aged 33 years. Other comapnies such as Suncorp and NRMA quoted about $300 more than this.

I suppose $800 is reasonable for Sydney?
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 07:47 PM   #9
WASP
Whipple Induced

$550 here for a LS Zetec with Alliance. Rating one however.
Old 30-08-2005, 09:32 PM   #10
losfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick K.

I suppose $800 is reasonable for Sydney?
I guess it must be! Like I said, I haven't had to insure a brand newie before... Probably a whole stack of factors.. my age (27), the suburb etc etc.

$670 is the best I've found (AAMI) with my fiancée (27) as the main driver, and a $1000 excess. I can probably live with that, especially as practically all the other insurers' online forms have quoted 900-1100
Old 30-08-2005, 10:06 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

$600 here RACQ Rating 1.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 11:44 PM   #12
whippet_zetec
Supes

different states will have different premium rates so you cant really compare quotes from Adelaide to Melbourne to Brisbane to Sydney.....

on a side point: Sydney is the car theft capital of Australia and some of the stats on which suburbs have the most cars stolen will amaze you....will try and re-find them and post them up for everyone (might put it in the "bar" too)
Old 01-09-2005, 07:35 AM   #13
Stampy

i just got quoted on the st170 ,i have a 1 rating with aami and they still quoted just over 900 so i asked them to up the excess to 2000 (this is there max)that made it only just over 500 ,insured for 29000 ,i dont ever expect to crash so high excsss never worries me , the XR8 only costs me 380
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 04:01 PM   #14
losfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampy
i dont ever expect to crash
Well, that's why they are called "accidents" ;)