Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 21-08-2005, 12:17 AM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Starting Issues

Twice today I have had to attempt to start the car 3 times. Turn key, hold it, wont start. Turn back to acc, try again, wont start. Turn key right off, try again and it goes.
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Was a cold day but the car was by no means freezing, the plugs and leads are all around 10,000km old (had new ones put in before i picked it up) and there's no other signs of it running like crap etc etc. I'll be taking it back to the dealership but I think this may be one of those niggly little problems that only ever happens when there isnt service personnel around (i.e. when it can be fixed).

Also whil we're sort of on topic has anybody had experience with aftermarket ignition leads for Focus?

Old 21-08-2005, 12:43 AM   #2
whippet_zetec
Supes

I think it is a safety mechanism for the Foci that it wont allow you to go stright from accesrories after a non-start to ignition on again.....

same thing happens to me if my Foci doesnt start first time...have to go all the way back to off position and then return to ignition on.

dont stress about it if its a once off.....start to worry when you have to try turning your Foci over a few times before it starts.
Old 21-08-2005, 12:47 AM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

not good to hear. melbzetec has magnecor ignition leads on his car i believe. They're definitely aftermarket.
Old 21-08-2005, 01:01 AM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yeah, i wouldnt be asking if it was a rare occurence but it has done it twice today and at least 5 times before that.

And when you're parked in the Main St with the bogans going past in their Commos and your shiny clean car isnt starting, its not a good feeling!
Old 21-08-2005, 09:20 AM   #5
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Yeh I have Magnecor silicon ignition leads. Never had a single problem with them. Never missed a beat. I can't say they make any performance difference. It's just a thing I do........I always replace those serviceable items that car companies can save a few bucks on in manufacture, by putting in premium items. eg leads, air filters, spark plugs.etc. I just think it makes everything run that bit sweeter
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 09:41 AM   #6
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Are the keys coded?

Have you tried the spare?
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 11:11 AM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Yeh I have Magnecor silicon ignition leads. Never had a single problem with them. Never missed a beat. I can't say they make any performance difference. It's just a thing I do........I always replace those serviceable items that car companies can save a few bucks on in manufacture, by putting in premium items. eg leads, air filters, spark plugs.etc. I just think it makes everything run that bit sweeter
Thats exactly what I think too.

Gary, Ive never used the spare yet and its hard to make it do it. Will only fail if Im parked in a busy spot with lots of people around, or so it seems.
Old 21-08-2005, 12:33 PM   #8
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

My '03 Foci has just under 25K on the odometer and has the same problem. Including the automatic choke not operating on start up but when you select reverse it operates but only for a very short time. I've had the E.C.U. re-programmed twice now and the same problems with un-even revs whilst you're driving occuring, which makes me think there is a software problem with the electronic throttle. Are there any T.S.B.'s that can fix these problems??
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 07:52 PM   #9
whippet_zetec
Supes

maybe its an auto issue? I have a manual zetec and cant say I find any ignition problems.
Old 21-08-2005, 08:35 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippet_zetec
maybe its an auto issue? I have a manual zetec and cant say I find any ignition problems.
Possibly but I dont quite see how the transmission could affect the starting of the car?
Old 22-08-2005, 12:12 AM   #11
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
My '03 Foci has just under 25K on the odometer and has the same problem. Including the automatic choke not operating on start up but when you select reverse it operates but only for a very short time. I've had the E.C.U. re-programmed twice now and the same problems with un-even revs whilst you're driving occuring, which makes me think there is a software problem with the electronic throttle. Are there any T.S.B.'s that can fix these problems??
Electronic throttle? It's a mechanical cable throttle on the LR Focus. What did you mean? (Hello by the way mate!!! :voldar02: )
Old 22-08-2005, 08:21 AM   #12
KJGH
G6E Driver

Both our manual and auto do it. Seems to occur more when our cars have already been used for the day.
Old 22-08-2005, 09:40 AM   #13
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Possibly but I dont quite see how the transmission could affect the starting of the car?
on that issue, does the car start without the clutch depressed on the manual cars? I know my oldies Hydaggy must have the clutch depressed fully reguardless of the gear postion. Is the Foci the same?

Back onto your trauma, It could be an ecu to inhibitor switch issue?

I have had similiar issues on two of my BA's.. One it turned out as Minge touched on, was an issue with the programmable key, the other was a royal butt muncher, there was a stretched wire in the loom that went to the cluster. It was so tight in the harness that it was beginning to pull the pin out of the loom plug. Very intermittant but the frequency increased but 2 days later and a $600 auto elec bill we isolated the wire causing the problem..

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 10:21 AM   #14
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
on that issue, does the car start without the clutch depressed on the manual cars? I know my oldies Hydaggy must have the clutch depressed fully reguardless of the gear postion. Is the Foci the same?

nope, manual Foci does not require the clutch pedal to be depressed to start (although alot more cars these days are now incorporating such).
Old 22-08-2005, 11:17 AM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJGH
Both our manual and auto do it. Seems to occur more when our cars have already been used for the day.
Same with me, on Saturday it was after a half hours driving then about 1hr parked.
I'll go see what I can find out today, hopefully there'll be a TSB for it if its common.
Old 22-08-2005, 02:31 PM   #16
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Hi Zetec,

Hope all is well.

Oh, a manual cable throttle! Someone's given me a b**-steer.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 07:29 PM   #17
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippet_zetec
nope, manual Foci does not require the clutch pedal to be depressed to start (although alot more cars these days are now incorporating such).
...easily bypassed too!!!!! Pain in the ****, what if your clutch jams, I think it's silly (despite I'm sure some safety reasons or something) to limit your ability and theoretically increase the chance of something going wrong by adding yet another mechanism... :gren:
Old 04-09-2005, 11:56 PM   #18
ja-ja-binks
Starter Motor

i recently bought a 2003 lx sedan 2.0 auto and i have noticed the same problem , (thats how i found this forum) it has happened to me after driving home from work (100km 0 twice now when i try to restart car within about 20min to 1/2 hr. my car was parked on sloping driveway ( uphill) not in flat garage. could that have something to do with it?
ja-ja-binks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 09:40 AM   #19
whippet_zetec
Supes

has anyone actually had a Ford technician look at this problem yet and was there any offical response as to why it occurs?
Old 05-09-2005, 10:57 AM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

There is a TSB available for it - TSB 69/03 is done to fix this problem and it's basically a flash update deivered via WDS. Im yet to have it done but will be in the near future (just have to find the time to drop the car off).

For anybody who is having this problem, quote that TSB number when asking them to fix it, and ask them to see if your car is suitable for it.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:05 PM   #21
WASACL
Phat-Euro

Hey... Yours in auto isnt it... Maybe it is something wrong with the Park selection??? Tried starting it for Neutral?

Russ
Old 05-09-2005, 03:27 PM   #22
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASACL
Hey... Yours in auto isnt it... Maybe it is something wrong with the Park selection??? Tried starting it for Neutral?

Russ
Russ,

yeah its an auto but its not the gear selection etc that does it.