Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #31
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Poked evaporator drain tube, now other side of engine is leaking something?

Turns out there wasn't a missing bolt, I just did the diagram wrong. It's all back together... finally.

There is one thing, after I'd been idling the engine about 4-5 mins I noticed some smoke (!) in the engine bay. I switched the engine off immediately. It seems to be coming from the same side of the engine as the plugs I replaced, so either from the plugs or gasket. I think it may be some stray sealant burning off?

There's definitely water in the engine, it's barely warm to the touch, and the temp gauge is below "normal"... so I don't think it's the engine overheating?

Still a bit unsure, it's a little disconcerting to see smoke wafting over your engine!
rowan194 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #32
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Poked evaporator drain tube, now other side of engine is leaking something?

Is it just the new exhaust manifold gasking burning in? It keeps smoking after I kill the engine, and it doesn't smell like exhaust.
Old 16-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #33
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep, it`s normal, after a little while it will burn off, keep an eye on your coolant level , it might take a while to bleed the air through, usually once the engine gets to operating temp the thermostat opens and the level goes down a tad, just keep an eye on the egg crate for a day or two, you should have the heater turned on hot when refilling coolant if you have`nt, if not it may take longer to bleed all the air out.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #34
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smoke stopped once I'd done a couple of careful laps of the block.

There's just tap water in there for now, tomorrow I'll be using a radiator flush product then adding coolant + demineralised water. Maybe an extra fill + flush in the middle.

I have the climate control set on 32C, she cannae go any higher cap'n!