Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Aussie-made cars continue sales slide

http://m.smh.com.au/drive/motor-news...205-1oee4.html

"Sales of locally made family cars slumped by more than a third last month, according to official figures from the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries.

November sales figures show two Japanese small cars on top of the charts, with Toyota selling 3731 Corollas and Mazda managing 3480 sales of its 3 small car in the penultimate month of 2011.

Toyota’s work ute, the HiLux was third ahead of Holden’s Commodore, which sold 2808 units in its slowest month since January – and one of its weakest in the past ten years. Overall, the market was up by 1.5 per cent, largely driven by stronger sales of SUVs.

The result means the Commodore’s 15-year reign as the number one selling car in Australia is looking increasingly shaky: the Mazda3 is now 301 units ahead of the home-grown hero with just one month to go.

Holden’s local operations are increasingly being underpinned by its locally made small car, the Cruze, which continues to sell strongly. Its Korean import, the Barina, also had a solid November.

While the Commodore is struggling, Ford’s Falcon is haemorrhaging, attracting a meagre 1483 sales during the month – a drop of 37 per cent on last year’s figures, despite the introduction of a new LPG version.

The Blue Oval’s Broadmeadows plant is being kept afloat by the company’s Territory soft-roader, which was the country’s best-selling SUV last month with 1776 sales. Ford is also readying a four-cylinder version of the Falcon.

Toyota’s locally made Camry and Aurion models have also dipped dramatically over the course of 2011, down 19 per cent and 22 per cent respectively.

But buyers aren’t abandoning large cars because of concern over petrol prices, with thirsty SUVs continuing to attract plenty of sales.

Luxury SUV sales were up by more than a third month, while compact SUV sales were up 12.6 per cent. Toyota’s ageing RAV4 topped the pack in November with 1577 sales, despite being down by more than 13 per cent for the year so far.

Toyota’s updated Yaris climbed into the top ten models in its first month on sale, easily besting the light (city) car segment with 1764 units sold. Hyundai’s i30, which is currently in run-out ahead of a new model which is due in the first half of 2012, also had a strong month.

The ute segment continues to be dominated by Toyota’s HiLux, despite the recent arrival of new models from Ford and Mazda – though not all variants of both the Ranger and BT-50 are currently available.

Toyota sold 3332 HiLux models in November to claim third position overall, with Nissan’s Navara also recording another steady month with 1653 sales."

Old 06-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Aussie-made cars continue sales slide

ford needs to advertise more, perhaps add a bit more warranty like some of the other brands, the other companies are fighting tooth and nail, ford oz needs to do the same.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What suprises me is the number of people buying Navaras, Tritons and Hiluxes. Yes they are great reliable work utes, but they are slow, uncomfortable, cramped interiors, they don't handle or ride well, poor standard equipment and they cost a fortune.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Slow"...? You driven a new Hilux with the D4D turbo diesel in it lately? Especially an auto? Amazing! The same engine is in the Prados we drive for work out here, and by jeez they get along OK. Gone are the days of fourbies being underpowered slugs.

I think the advertising budgets of both Holden and Ford need a boot up the bum...Toyota in particular seem to infest the airways with ads for various models and special deals.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I think the advertising budgets of both Holden
So now Holden isn't advertising enough??
Old 06-12-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

the problem isn't marketing as such.

The issue is Ford (AU) and Holden have been shoveling the same rubbish for last how many years? While other makes have been moving with the times and delivering products customers want (figures don't lie) the locals have been sitting on their hands, more concerned about a rivarly between the two while having the carpet drawn from underneath by overseas makes.

Really, only Ford with the introduction of the diesel Territory, ecoLPI Falcon and the soon to be released EcoBoost Falcon have done anything to try and arrest the slide in sales. Though some would agree it is many years too late but at least their here, hopefully to stop the slide. They have had brilliant ideas in the past with the XR6T but then rested on their laurels.
Their imported stuff (Focus, Fiesta and Mondeo) are class acts and people are starting to see it. Sales are up.
Once they start the One Ford initative within the development of the Falcon the better it will be, R&D won't be as high and customers won't miss out on technology offered in Ford products from other markets and hopefully quality will begin to pick up.

Holden on the other hand have done little with the Commodore, though having the sportswagon does help. They introduced the Cruze to justify manufacturing here but have done little with the Commodore.

Both of these makes need to realise their not a Commodore company nor the Falcon company, they are not competing with each other any more, they are global companies competing with other global makes. It is time to stand up and deliver.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

People don't want Australian cars.

When the Koreans can make a more solid car at a cheaper price... why would the average person care about a falcon?

Japanese and European are definitely seen in a higher regard than a Falcon or a Commodore.

They should drop the XT completely, make the g6 and the xr6 the new respective base models and offer a big price cut and a promise of less shoddy assembly. Not sure if that would help any unfortunately...

+ I never see any advertising for the Falcon?

Only the Fiesta and the Territory...
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Ford killed the only cars i would have bought, except the Ranger (Wildtrak in orange please mmmm). That though, i cannot afford...yet.

Holden. Yeah only if i had money to burn, V8 6sp Sportshatch thanks.

I have no interest in anything else that either of these manufacturers deliver nowadays. Good luck to them.
Having said that im not going to buy new from another maker. My next few purchases will all be older used cars.

Yes its people like me who dont help not one bit in a makers situation....but if the makers dont produce somthing that ticks the boxes then what can i do?

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #9
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This whole article really ****** me off!!! Dont they have anything better to do?

Aust solds cars

2011: 11401
2010: 11942

They are down, but not by much & the biggest drop actaully come from Toyota. And Toyota just happen to be suffering to strike action!! Ford was close to flat & Holden is up YOY..

These media outlets really need to support local products!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
This whole article really ****** me off!!! Dont they have anything better to do?

Aust solds cars

They are down, but not by much & the biggest drop actaully come from Toyota. And Toyota just happen to be suffering to strike action!! Ford was close to flat & Holden is up YOY..

What's our adult population like, 16-18million people? And out of those, 11401 bought Australian cars. Does that count fleet, hire and taxi buys?

Gosh...
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 11:03 PM   #11
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Aust solds cars
Thats because your missing a few points -
1) Your comparing a bad month, to an even worse month.
2) Last years 11942 consisted mainly of $32000 plus cars. This Years total of 11401 includes Approx. 2400 cruzes. Assign a cruze as 3/5 of a 2010 car, and 2011 November sales end up being Approx. 10440. 11942 to 10440 ends up being a considerable drop over 1 year.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #12
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

You know why localy built cars fail?

Because for the same, or lower price on some imported cars you get lots of fancy little gadgets, that look cool and amaze your friends, but in the long run grow boaring and add to service costs.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 11:44 PM   #13
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
Thats because your missing a few points -
1) Your comparing a bad month, to an even worse month.
2) Last years 11942 consisted mainly of $32000 plus cars. This Years total of 11401 includes Approx. 2400 cruzes. Assign a cruze as 3/5 of a 2010 car, and 2011 November sales end up being Approx. 10440. 11942 to 10440 ends up being a considerable drop over 1 year.
Glass half full or empty?? If also includes alomst double territory in the 50/60K range... making that 32000 car equall double!! Getting back to my point that not much has changed!!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 01:12 AM   #14
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
What suprises me is the number of people buying Navaras, Tritons and Hiluxes. Yes they are great reliable work utes, but they are slow, uncomfortable, cramped interiors, they don't handle or ride well, poor standard equipment and they cost a fortune.

And I would still have one over a EL.

And be just as quick in traffic, and use less fuel.

Horses for courses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
You know why localy built cars fail?

Because for the same, or lower price on some imported cars you get lots of fancy little gadgets, that look cool and amaze your friends, but in the long run grow boaring and add to service costs.
No, because of poor build quality, poor level of standard features, poor aftermarket backup, and poor resale

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 03:32 AM   #15
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

Govco fleets all around the country should be purchasing Australian built cars before overseas ones.. I don't even care if that means it's one of those Holwoo Cruze things that are made in Adelaide, at least it's still helping the 'Aussie built' figures.

I saw a brand new Hyundai i45 the other day with Qld Gov plates and was very annoyed. Gone are the days when you saw Falcons, Commodores and Camry's in the Gov't department car park. I remember years ago when the Laser and Corolla were made here, every dept had them. They also had Camrys, Falcons and Commodores.
But they're a dying breed now. These days, you see vehicles like Hyundai's and Subaru's and even VW's with Gov't plates, as well as the tiny cars like the Varis and the horrible Prius.

I can't believe that the Aussie made car figure has become so small.

I hope it will get better.. I'm sure it will. The cynic inside me tells me otherwise..
BFZ Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Mate of a mate who works for Holden told him they will be having down days next year.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 12:21 AM   #17
SVR73
Mr Polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
My dad bought a Navara ST550 and the things got nearly 600nm of torque, it flies when you want it too and although the seats look flat and crappy, our recent trip to melbourne for the historic sandown return of the thunder meeting was done in absolute comfort.

I won't buy a new car from any car maker for a few reasons
1. the styling of todays cars is so bland, the colour range on many is very limited and finally, the interior is all cheap plastic crap, even the old AU XR has got vinyl

whats next - cardboard
Old 08-12-2011, 01:14 AM   #18
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFZ Wagon
Govco fleets all around the country should be purchasing Australian built cars before overseas ones.. I don't even care if that means it's one of those Holwoo Cruze things that are made in Adelaide, at least it's still helping the 'Aussie built' figures.

I saw a brand new Hyundai i45 the other day with Qld Gov plates and was very annoyed. Gone are the days when you saw Falcons, Commodores and Camry's in the Gov't department car park. I remember years ago when the Laser and Corolla were made here, every dept had them. They also had Camrys, Falcons and Commodores.
But they're a dying breed now. These days, you see vehicles like Hyundai's and Subaru's and even VW's with Gov't plates, as well as the tiny cars like the Varis and the horrible Prius.

I can't believe that the Aussie made car figure has become so small.

I hope it will get better.. I'm sure it will. The cynic inside me tells me otherwise..
Gov fleets (atleast Vic from what I've seen) are still contracted to purchase Australian manufactured vehicles. Some flexibility is provided if these cars don't meet intended purpose. What has changed is the policy around novated leasing for the public servant, they can shop anywhere.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 01:37 AM   #19
F6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVR73
My dad bought a Navara ST550 and the things got nearly 600nm of torque
being a ST550 I would be betting it has 550 nm ? Having owned a D40 STX TDi I would agree that the build quality (Spanish) and reliability is exceptional...

....the writing is on the wall for our brave local car makers, unfortunately they will most likely disappear within our lifetimes ?

current rides.....
F6E - Cooler, Cat, CAI, Flash, 20's, SSL's - 317 rwkw : 9/10
BFII - Workhorse yoot : 6/10

past bitches of note.....
E60 M5 - V10 excess, the pinacle : 11/10
VE SSV - 102000 trouble free Kms : 9/10
VZ Cross8 - V8 AWD, great allrounder. : 8/10
BA XR8 - Fat & Slow : 3/10
XH XR6 - 8/10
XG S - 7.5/10
F6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 03:34 AM   #20
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
No, because of poor build quality, poor level of standard features, poor aftermarket backup, and poor resale
Poor resale? Second hand Commies and Falcons are a fierce market... that's why new sales slump.

And for your information. The FG Falcon is quite a well put together unit. The interior of my mates VE sportwagon is Lego in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinijosh
People don't want Australian cars.

When the Koreans can make a more solid car at a cheaper price... why would the average person care about a falcon?

Japanese and European are definitely seen in a higher regard than a Falcon or a Commodore.

They should drop the XT completely, make the g6 and the xr6 the new respective base models and offer a big price cut and a promise of less shoddy assembly. Not sure if that would help any unfortunately...

+ I never see any advertising for the Falcon?

Only the Fiesta and the Territory...
The Territory proves you wrong there. Aussies still like to support Australian cars... but people's tastes have changed to SUV's over sedans. Falcon is lucky that Territory is based of it's bones. And how many Australian SUV's are there................ oh yeah. Just that one. And it's the best selling SUV.

You're right about lack of advertising to Falcon. Add's used to boast about their cars, and tell people why theirs was better. Now they just show Falcon towing something, and early thirty something couples listening to music and eyeing each other. Why don't they tell people about their unique double wishbone suspension? Or the engine they've been honing and refining here for fifty years. Quality ZF transmission and suspension parts. Or just to keep reminding people.... that it's designed here, by people who live here, and built here.... by people who live here.

They let people know Territory is "the only Australian built SUV".
Old 08-12-2011, 11:33 PM   #21
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Poor resale? Second hand Commies and Falcons are a fierce market... that's why new sales slump.

And for your information. The FG Falcon is quite a well put together unit. The interior of my mates VE sportwagon is Lego in comparison.

Only if you are comparing them to a Great Wall.

Compared to anything out of JP or EU, they are positively 'slapped' together.

-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
Old 08-12-2011, 11:37 PM   #22
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yes I tend to agree with this as well. Locally built Holdens and Fords are the worst built cars on the new car market aside from Chinese and Indian imports. Even Kias have better built quality these days. Had a good look at a new Territory a while back with the cream leather interior, the dashboard looked like it was made of soap.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #23
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:

Perhaps you need to go do some recent comparo's and visit a few different car yards.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #24
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Perhaps you need to go do some recent comparo's and visit a few different car yards.

I have the 'privilege' of driving/passenger-ing in lots of VE's and FG's during my day-to-day work duties.

Even the people who have bought said cars are all of the same opinion, build quality and reliability is not a word in the vocabulary of either Geelong/Broady OR Elizabeth/Fishermans Bend.

On rough numbers, 75% have vowed never to darken the door of either brand.

-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
Old 13-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #25
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
I have the 'privilege' of driving/passenger-ing in lots of VE's and FG's during my day-to-day work duties.

Even the people who have bought said cars are all of the same opinion, build quality and reliability is not a word in the vocabulary of either Geelong/Broady OR Elizabeth/Fishermans Bend.

.....Wow.
Old 13-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #26
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinijosh
What's our adult population like, 16-18million people? And out of those, 11401 bought Australian cars. Does that count fleet, hire and taxi buys?

Gosh...
No but in a month where 80,000 vehicles were soled across a whole lot of segments,
11,401 or around 13% of all vehicles bought were manufactured here, it's a free market
with a lot of diversity, that our car makers chose segements that give high transaction prices
versus the segments where lower prices and competition strip profits bare.
Don't believe me?
Then why don't the Australian branches of Mazda, Hyundai and Honda release their profits?
Because profits remain in the country of production and just a little sugar for the dealerships..

Territory-Falcon-Ute with a combined sale price of well over $40,000 is far and away
a more profitable endeavor rhan trying to sell 4,000 $24,000 vehicles each month.

So rather than concentrate on Falcon sales, we should be watching the sales of:
Fiesta, Focus, mondeo, Kuga, Ecosport, Figo, Ranger....spread the load and get more sales.

Last edited by jpd80; 13-12-2011 at 10:51 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #27
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What I am trying to understand myself is why many, many people are buying these small cars. Yes they are more fuel efficent, but slow ( or at least semi slow) to reach the magic ton. Having the straight six is more than powerful enough but many are happy to sacrifice this for a small car full of gadgets and be underpowered (Hyundai i35 / 45 for example). Obviously times are changing and I am behind the times then but I cant buy a car if pushing the accelerator to the floor doesn't provide me with enough forward thurst.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #28
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am going to say the glass is half full in this case.

At least you still see 2012/2013 FG's getting around.

hopefully a new series will reignite the consumer craving for a Front Engine RWD aussie built monster.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #29
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:

Really? Must go have a look at the FG again and try and work out the bad bits ..... Everyone is of the same opinion? I've had a crap load of cars and even euros but keep buying Fords for some reason

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 11:33 PM   #30
Chopped
as in chopped

It's all a bit sad really.