Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
shepv8
V8's for ever

Default Tracking down an old car

Gday all.
Im trying to locate an old car i owned about 12 years ago. I just dug up the chassis engine numbers but i dont know how to use them to find the current owners or have my details passed on to them saying i want to buy it. Has anyone had any success tracking down a car. I know there are freedom of information laws and also privacy laws but if anyone has an idea id love to hear it.
Cheers
Shepi

shepv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
anto
Za Dom spremni

Default Re: Tracking down an old car

I tracked down my old apollo blue XBGT in perth, and actually just paid a deposit on it last night

I knew someone in reg dept that pulled up all the info from the plate number and gave me a name which I used to tracked down the brother of the guy who passed on my info on. Several years later he contacted me but said he was not selling.
Jump ahead a few years I randomly punched in apollo blue xbgt in google and a gumtree ad popped up first on the list and when I opened it i instantly recognized the chassis number, huzzah my old car....talk about timing. It was the brother in law of the guy I sold it to and after chatting a bit, to his credit he really wanted me to have the car back and even accomodated me on the price...there are still some decent blokes around.
Its been a bit of a journey since then but the deal is finaly done.
Funny thing is I knew I would get it back someday, just had that feeling of inevitability. I still had the original engine that I pulled from the car when i fitted a tougher one some 16 yearss ago .

I was kind of lucky in a way as the guy had a unique surname that made it a little easier to find him or someone related...
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
fasty73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I want my old 1977 black trans am back, sold on me without my permission 3 year ago in qld had GB 11 AD NSW plates on it.
fasty73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Registry people will not give it to you, it breaks all the confidentailitly rules, other than that there is no real way to track it down.