Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
whoopwhoop
Starter Motor

Default au horn switch

Can anyone direct me to info replacing horn switch ford au. I can't get search to work..

whoopwhoop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 
Default Re: au horn switch

The horn and airbag is a complete unit. I replaced it myself, but needed a special tool. It is a security / airbag type allen key with a 5 or 6 point head (the non standard number!) which also has an indent / hole in it. There are 2 screws/bolts on either side of the steering column with covers / caps over them.

I bought a second hand complete unit (airbag / horn / centre) from my local Ford wrecker. Cost $50 18mths ago.

A mechanic will know how to do it, should take 15minutes. 5 minutes is the safety precaution of disconnecting battery. Apply brakes to remove any electrical energy stored.

If you do it yourself, just be careful with the cruise control and airbag/horn wires. Airbags are an explosive device!

Reason for replacement was horn coming on randomly. Did it a couple of times. Cause: Due to my AU being parked on the street the heat build up in the car eventually deteriorates the foam insulation between the contact points of the horn button.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
whoopwhoop
Starter Motor

Cheers that is great advice .i am pretty sure it is the switch that is faulty .why does the horn have 2 terminals?
I think I tried to run a wire straight from battery to horn but didn't work. I did use multimeter and had no volts at horn. The Fuse is ok.
whoopwhoop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the horn switch drives a relay the fault could be there there is no power at the horn till the relay switches +12V to it the horn switch actually goes to the BCM first so the way it goes is switch - BCM - relay - horn

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you have an au this is the best place to get advice http://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=241

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post