Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #1
Kapn_Kiwi
It is hard...

Default Orbiter

Has anyone here played this?
It's a spaceflight sim, a fairly unforgiving one, because it's a physics simulator (of sorts. I've managed FTL travel) as opposed to a traditional game, but it's still fun. It's taught me a few more things about physics appropriate to space travel.
It has also taught me that Brian Eno is a great accompaniment to space travel, as is Eric Clapton.
I was just reminded because of the thread on Google Earth. You can look around the solar system in much the same way as GE.

Pick it up here. (Free)
Look around for the Orbitersound module somewhere as well. It adds in ship sounds and the ability to listen to mp3s in-game. Without sounds and tunes, spending 20+ minutes achieving orbit's a bit monotonous.

Old 27-07-2006, 10:57 PM   #2
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Its realism is unbelievable. I have played it a bit and bash the keyboard with frustration at times. Another cool progam in a similar vein (sort of) is Celestia http://www.shatters.net/celestia/. More of a virtual universe but breathtaking scenery.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post