Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-08-2020, 12:14 AM   #1
nstg8a

Default Re: Used car prices

My first offer is almost always quite a bit lower than I’m prepared to pay.

The same as a sellers asking price is usually much higher than what they will,actually expect.

I’ve looked at cars that would have been reasonably priced if they were as advertised, but many (way too many) sellers know sweet frick all about cars, and when you look deeper you find faults that can and will take thousands of the cars value.

Territorys are a perfect example.
The owner thinks it’s all good, just needs a ball,joint or a bush in the front end.

Decent look over reveals it needs everything.... ball joints bushes diff bushes etc etc. that territory almost halved in value.

If I look at a 20k car that needs 5k in repairs, then I’m gonna want it for less than 15k or I might as well just buy one for 20k with the work already done and save myself the runaround.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2020, 02:06 AM   #2
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post

The same as a sellers asking price is usually much higher than what they will,actually expect.
That's fair but to say you have (way less) cash, take it or leave it is just trying it on and probably wasting the sellers time. They will feel that the buyer thinks they're desperate, when it's the buyer that's desperate (to take advantage and get a bargain).

Negotiation is expected and if neither party feels that way then it's in bad faith so just move on. "Doesn't hurt to ask" is said by the same people that get annoyed when they realise they are not considered a serious buyer so their chances are 'hurt'.

Easier to try such a thing with housing due to larger costs that are ongoing, but it's not the same with a car. Hopefully the car in a private sale is not under finance and it's not like they're paying a mortgage they can't afford, rates are due, they are moving for work, going overseas etc. Not much chance of a desperate cars sale due to that these days!
It's the opposite, people are staying put, might be secure with jobkeeper, double dole or in what worked out to be a safe industry and they aren;t desperate to sell.

Last edited by oldel; 12-08-2020 at 02:18 AM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2020, 07:03 AM   #3
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post

I’ve looked at cars that would have been reasonably priced if they were as advertised, but many (way too many) sellers know sweet frick all about cars, and when you look deeper you find faults that can and will take thousands of the cars value.

Territorys are a perfect example.
The owner thinks it’s all good, just needs a ball,joint or a bush in the front end.

Decent look over reveals it needs everything.... ball joints bushes diff bushes etc etc. that territory almost halved in value.

If I look at a 20k car that needs 5k in repairs, then I’m gonna want it for less than 15k or I might as well just buy one for 20k with the work already done and save myself the runaround.
If the car is reasonably priced BEFORE essential repairs, and the seller wont budge on price, theyre being unreasonable and clearly dont want to sell yet.

Case in point, many years back looking at an xh ute needing brakework. An offer of the sellers price less estimated cost of work (by a mechanic) was flatly refused, so i walked.

Imho, the op is being ambitious, and if the car is newly listed, has buckleys chance.

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2021, 11:18 AM   #4
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji View Post
Beautiful post.. I wish I could tattoo this on buyers heads. People will buy the cheaper car thinking they did good, but it almost always results on more money spent and still a worse car if they bought the low km version to start with and pay a bit more.
Just because a car has low kilometres doesn’t mean it’s good.

Very poor advice.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2021, 04:42 PM   #5
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
Just because a car has low kilometres doesn’t mean it’s good.

Very poor advice.
Agree.

A higher mileage car with an excellent history and owner type is a far better prospect than a lower Klm car with patchy history or unknown drivers/owners.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-08-2021, 08:14 PM   #6
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji View Post
Beautiful post.. I wish I could tattoo this on buyers heads. People will buy the cheaper car thinking they did good, but it almost always results on more money spent and still a worse car if they bought the low km version to start with and pay a bit more.
Nah low Km doesn't mean good.
I think time kills cars more than kms.

A friend bought an 18 year old car with 55,000kms on it and it was garbage.
Some of my work car had 550,000kms on them and were more reliable than his older, low km ****box.
Having said that our work cars were only 3-4 years old with 550,000km on them
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: