Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
FRD888XR8

Default I feel like a noob againg .... !

Hey all,

haven't been posting on here for some time.

Joined the forum a wile back when I got my BA XR8 as to part of the community / cult .

But also I am a bike customiser / enthusiast so the past 3 yeas, I have been extremely busy with work and every spare time I had I was trying to balance between time with the missus , modding / painting & riding my bike and the odd house improvements work that never end.

as far as the bike goes I think I have reached my limits. not everyone may like it, but pleases me, it is ALL my work and have done every single bit on that bike, as far a modding it and it gives me a great sense of accomplishment.

here is how she looks now and with tears in my eyes I am letting it go as I feel it is time to start my long awaited super motard build

ImageShack.us

On the down side, back to my XR8, I feel I ( as in my mechanic) have only done the maintenance required with no mods or upgrades, and 50k extra k's since I got it , what the hell of a reliable car, just keeps on going.

Mind you, it hand plenty of upgrades when I got it, cold air intake, K&N filters, extractors, twin 2.5 inch pipes, so it goes pretty good

thought about trading it a couple of times but ups and down on cash-flow kept me grounded like a plane on heavy fog ... but now I am thinking on keeping it a little longer.

Only issue I have, is the damn alloys are buckled to ****, so I am riding on the Terri's steels rims, I know shame on me, but they are true, round and strong as hell and by the photos above, you can tell where all my money was going ;-)
but every now and ageing I find myself shopping for rims, and IMO, no rims will look better than the stock ones, 17's .... I am serious , no offence if you think otherwise.

Now the question is, would you repair yours or would you rather buy a good second hand one ?

also looking a tackling the diff bushes as they have started knocking so IRS needs to come out and may look at all the bushes that may require replacing.
anyone done it before ? any tips and suggestions, as I am down there what else should I look for ?

thanks for now and sorry for writing a bible on here.

cheers

FRD888XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 
Default Re: I feel like a noob againg .... !

One of the guys in the B-Series section did a pictorial on removing the whole diff cradle. A lot easier to replace bushes when it's all out.

Nice bike too.
Old 27-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
FRD888XR8

OK, got a report from pedders to repair the lot,

1.5k drive in drive out, parts & labor

few ball joints & swaybar bushes on front end + rear controll arm bushes + some ball joints as well and as I knew it, the rear diff bush is gone

do you think 1.5k is too much ? I am off to the centrelink to see how much I can get for the repair " JOKIN !!!!!!!!!! " Lol

seriously is it too much ? I think my tax return should cover it
Old 27-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pedders are con artists. If you drive a brand new car in there and get them to look over the suspension, they will find "worn" bushes.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
05_ENFORCER

Nice example of a naked, clean easy graphics and as nice loud pipe by the looks of it.

If you are mechanically minded, of which you look to be, and have access to a hoist, it will be more satisfying to remove the rear cradle and DIY.

If you have a press, even better.

I did my Territory on the garage floor with a floor jack when my patience was at an all time high.

A rear bush set (complete) is about $800.00 , just the diff bush kit is around $200.00

Good luck in what you decide

Old 27-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they are going to do front and rear bushes, ball joints etc and that $1500 is going to cover all the parts and labour, GST etc. Then I think it is a good price.

The Diff bushj alone, I have been priced at $1200 for my BA GT.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Yeah that's an amazingly low price really. I'd get it in writing I think before you accept.

I got quotes up in the $3000s for the rear cradle to be dropped and diff bushes and arm bushes to be replaced.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got my diff bushes changed at nizpro for only $599 incl parts and labour, the job was finished in less than 2 hours. I was extremely happy with them and their service. Any suspension shop that knows what they are doing should be able to do it in under 4 hours.
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
FRD888XR8

this is pretty much it, I am thinking in tackling the fron end issues myself as this is the easy part and let him do the back end as I can not afford to keep that car off the road.

I am sure I can handle the craddle & diff bushes but it would take me a lot of my time, wife preggo & in the middle of a house reno ... I doubt it is goin to happen.

this is the quote I have

Also thenks for the compliments on the bike, It is my pride and joy.

this is not the site for it but id yall want I can post phots of the gsxr1100 project from start to end ;-)

Cheers all
Old 28-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
FRD888XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas2 View Post
I got my diff bushes changed at nizpro for only $599 incl parts and labour, the job was finished in less than 2 hours. I was extremely happy with them and their service. Any suspension shop that knows what they are doing should be able to do it in under 4 hours.
damn it, nizpro are not is NSW ....
Old 28-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
FRD888XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_ENFORCER View Post
Nice example of a naked, clean easy graphics and as nice loud pipe by the looks of it.

Thanks mate, although the pipe looks short and loud, I devised a little baffle insert to keep the back pressure on the bike and quiet it down a little.

I have good neighbours and mutual respect and courtesy are a must on my books, not to mention shitting other road users for no reason.

I had a few runs on the track (EC) no baffle insert in it.... and yes, it is disrespectfully loud when you go full noise at the end of the straight !
Old 28-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #12
05_ENFORCER

OT, start a thread and post some pics in the two wheels section, I'm sure there will be a few more around here that would love to see more of it.

Old 21-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
FRD888XR8

Suspension done, Pedders did an excellent job, Zero noise on the road, apart from bits & pieces loose on my centre console or glove box ... dang need to clean my car

Next week tackle the saggy roof lining
Old 19-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #14
FRD888XR8

Roof lining was pushed asside as I got myself a set of alloys from a FG falcon, yes they are only 17's but I dont like the functionality of anything bigger than 18's unles the car was made with it, also my 17 tyres were about 90% good so .... 320 bucks later and here it is