Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-02-2008, 12:48 AM   #1
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy Shaking In Steering Wheel

I just got new tyres put on on the weekend and had a wheel balance done aswel, but since then i have noticed this kinda shaking in the steering wheel when im driving on the highway and im not sure what it would be?

BFD83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2008, 01:02 AM   #2
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

Warped rotors can cause this but if its only started when you put the wheels it probably wouldn't be that. Where the wheels aligned or just balanced?
Old 27-02-2008, 01:03 AM   #3
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

out of round rotors
transmission mount
intermediate steering shaft
but.......

if it has only happened with the tyres, I'd be rotating them to see if that fixes it

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2008, 01:15 AM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they might have stuffed up the balancing, what Tibbo said swap the tyres around or borrow some wheels from a buddy and see what happens.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #5
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukey
Warped rotors can cause this but if its only started when you put the wheels it probably wouldn't be that. Where the wheels aligned or just balanced?
I know the rotors atm are pretty crap so thats more then likely the reason why its doin it then. nah i only had them aligned my mechanic said i didn't need them balanced.
Old 27-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New tyres should generally mean a balance. Something that any tyre place worth their salt does as a 'free' courtesy when you buy tyres. Hell, my local second hand place even does this.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2008, 10:22 AM   #7
whiskers
gone fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent83
i only had them aligned my mechanic said i didn't need them balanced.
mate you need to get the tyres balanced, just because they are new does not mean that they are perfectly round. go back to where you bought them from and get them to do it.
whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers
mate you need to get the tyres balanced, just because they are new does not mean that they are perfectly round. go back to where you bought them from and get them to do it.
Whiskers and the others are on the money. The tyres need to be balanced and if the problem persists, get the discs skimmed and if they're really low, replace them with some rda slotted items. Replace the pads at the same time.

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
nah i only had them aligned my mechanic said i didn't need them balanced.
was he wearing a striped ( butchers) apron? i'd get a new mechanic if i was you . any mechanic who makes such a stupid statement shouldn't be fixing rollerskates let alone a car
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2008, 09:22 PM   #10
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mechanic is actually really good mate, when i got the alignment done they said there i didnt really need a balance there either so i dunno?
Old 27-02-2008, 09:36 PM   #11
fordman_01
DUB

yeh mines got the same problem when travelling past 70kms or when gunning it down the highway. it just starts shaking. i think i need a wheel alignment now
fordman_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #12
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

I may be wrong here but I got the same thing when I had hub adapters which caused vibrations in the steering wheel. So maybe a quick one to just check your wheel nuts are tight. I know with new wheels you should tighten them up after a few days you put them on anyway.
Old 27-02-2008, 10:24 PM   #13
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate your mechanic is a joke. Your problem will be you need to get them balanced
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #14
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My mechanic is actually really good mate, when i got the alignment done they said there i didnt really need a balance there either so i dunno?
he has you bluffed any mechanic ( and i use the term loosly here) who says you don't need a balance when tyres are fitted should retire. there is no such thing as a tyre that is perfectly balanced ALL tyres must be balanced . time to find a new mechanic if you value you car and you safety
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2008, 11:58 PM   #15
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I posted a thread where i was looking for answers for a similar problem. I found it was the tyres themselves, even after being balanced 4 times within the month by different companies! They were Kumho's, and boy I am glad they took them off!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #16
ebayholic

I have the same problem too...It only happened when i put tyre pressure to 36psi on a cold day on all 4 tyres of my EB
Then massive shaking problems on the freeway.
So i went back to 30 PSI on all 4 tyres and i think it might have slightly helped? But was still having the same problem so maybe the tyres are stuffed now and need a change? They still passed inspection when i gave it in for service...but they are no name brand tyres which say "max 140 kmhr" on em and 2 years ago Pedders told me they are "slightly out of round"
ebayholic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #17
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Wheel alignments have nothing to do with shaking what so ever. So that suggestion can be thrown over the shoulder. Unless of course it's that far out of wack, you'd screw the tyres within 20 K.

A tyre might have a heavy spot, as well as a rim. So when you pair the 2 up, you need weight on the rim to balance it out, so it doesn't shake. That simple. Very rarely you can put the 2 together and not need any weight on them.

Yes rotors sometimes cause a vibration while driving, without being on the brakes. Very rare these days. However if you do suspect these, have the rim/tyre assembly balanced on the car, providing it's not front wheel drive/4 wheel drive/all wheel drive.

Another shake problem maybe an out of round tyre. If that's the case and they are new, take them back and get replacements. They are covered by warranty, unless they're el-cheapo garbage.

The mechanic that said they don't need balancing. All I can say is if he's a good mate, I'd hate to hear what he'd say if he was an enemy.

Hope this helps .
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #18
ebayholic

The 2 tyres I bought were back in 2006 and the other 2 came with the car when i bought it in 2006

The whole 'out of round' problem can come about to bad car suspension aye? I know the bloke who had the car before me never took care of it and I had to spend a lot on suspension but perhaps too late to save my tyres from getting out of round?
Old 29-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #19
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
if anything, it should have been the other way round.......get them balance, and you may not have needed an alignment....
Old 29-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #20
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
if anything, it should have been the other way round.......get them balance, and you may not have needed an alignment....
thats my general understanding too. alignment isn't based so much on tyres as a balance is.
Old 29-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #21
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebayholic
The 2 tyres I bought were back in 2006 and the other 2 came with the car when i bought it in 2006

The whole 'out of round' problem can come about to bad car suspension aye? I know the bloke who had the car before me never took care of it and I had to spend a lot on suspension but perhaps too late to save my tyres from getting out of round?
Tyres go out of round due to the way the tyre is made, not anything to do with suspension. You may get a bulge in a tyre if you hit a pothole hard, but that is damage not so much out of roundness.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 02:15 PM   #22
Bolly
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Balance your Tyres,,Rotors have nothing to do with steering Shimmy except when braking..
Bolly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #23
dreadly
Banned

how can you buy new tyres and not have em balanced? That's your problem, your tyres have got the wobbles lol.... get em balanced that'll fix it ;)
dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #24
WoodysXR6
Wanting a sprint!

Quote:
My mechanic is actually really good mate,
That's the problem Brent. He's a Cowboy!
WoodysXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #25
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Tyres go out of round due to the way the tyre is made, not anything to do with suspension. You may get a bulge in a tyre if you hit a pothole hard, but that is damage not so much out of roundness.

Sorry mate, but suspensions can make the tyre go out of round. We'll use a stuffed shock as a good example there. Also edge wear on a tyre can cause a balance issue, even after they're balanced. Saw tooth edges are a good example there mate.

BOLLY, sorry but rotors can cause a wobble at speed too, with out braking. The problem isn't that common these days, but it still exists.

DAVE 93761. I don't understand your quoting there mate. Alignments are necessary to stop tyre wear. As just explained, saw tooth effect.

So in short, it's the whole package, not just one particular thing. It'll be a process of elimination
Old 29-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #26
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Sorry mate, but suspensions can make the tyre go out of round. We'll use a stuffed shock as a good example there. Also edge wear on a tyre can cause a balance issue, even after they're balanced. Saw tooth edges are a good example there mate.

BOLLY, sorry but rotors can cause a wobble at speed too, with out braking. The problem isn't that common these days, but it still exists.

DAVE 93761. I don't understand your quoting there mate. Alignments are necessary to stop tyre wear. As just explained, saw tooth effect.

So in short, it's the whole package, not just one particular thing. It'll be a process of elimination
I think you're talking of different things here. When I talk about out of round I mean the tyre has a flat spot, or a bulge at one point, or goes from circular shape to ovaloid. This is usually caused by the components of the tyre separating.

What you are talking about is uneven wear - I would call that wear and tear, not going out of round.

So I think we are covering all bases for this guy's issues, but we are calling the issues different things.

Long story short - get a balance and alignment, and if the problem persists, get new tyres (tyres more than 24 months old should be replaced anyway).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 29-03-2009, 10:52 PM   #27
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I think you're talking of different things here. When I talk about out of round I mean the tyre has a flat spot, or a bulge at one point, or goes from circular shape to ovaloid. This is usually caused by the components of the tyre separating.

What you are talking about is uneven wear - I would call that wear and tear, not going out of round.

So I think we are covering all bases for this guy's issues, but we are calling the issues different things.

Long story short - get a balance and alignment, and if the problem persists, get new tyres (tyres more than 24 months old should be replaced anyway).

No, I think you're missing it. Tyres can have a manufacturing defect, that can cause out of roundness. Suspension components can cause the tyre to go out of round too. eg stuffed shocker, or on a front wheel car, lack of rotation. Noting to do with a tyre seperation. That's another issue to do with balance.

Tyres over 24 months old being replaced???? Lost me there. Tyres over 5 years old, yes. That's unless you're going to go racing with it. But normal street driving, if they have legal tread, keep them on, unless you're feeling wealthy

Alignment can cause an imbalance problem, only due to irregular wear patterns on the edges of the tyre. Getting an alignment alone won't solve a balance problem, nor will balancing a tyre with irregular wear patterns on it.

Alignments are there to stop a tyre wearing. Yes, there's more to tyre wear issues, but in this case, it's not going to solve the problem.

All I can say is, it's going to be a process of elimination. Try an off car balance first. If that doesn't work, have it balanced on the car. If that fails, ask for replacement tyres, if they are still new, as you have every right as a customer to demand that.
Old 30-03-2009, 12:12 AM   #28
ebayholic

i know pedders do alignment but do they do balancing as well?
Old 30-03-2009, 12:45 AM   #29
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
No, I think you're missing it. Tyres can have a manufacturing defect, that can cause out of roundness. Suspension components can cause the tyre to go out of round too. eg stuffed shocker, or on a front wheel car, lack of rotation. Noting to do with a tyre seperation. That's another issue to do with balance.

Tyres over 24 months old being replaced???? Lost me there. Tyres over 5 years old, yes. That's unless you're going to go racing with it. But normal street driving, if they have legal tread, keep them on, unless you're feeling wealthy

Alignment can cause an imbalance problem, only due to irregular wear patterns on the edges of the tyre. Getting an alignment alone won't solve a balance problem, nor will balancing a tyre with irregular wear patterns on it.

Alignments are there to stop a tyre wearing. Yes, there's more to tyre wear issues, but in this case, it's not going to solve the problem.

All I can say is, it's going to be a process of elimination. Try an off car balance first. If that doesn't work, have it balanced on the car. If that fails, ask for replacement tyres, if they are still new, as you have every right as a customer to demand that.
The thing is, I'm not missing anything; it's you who is missing the point here. There is a difference between bad wear patterns and out of roundness, and suspension issues (such as poor alignment, including camber and castor) will not make a tyre go out of round. To use your example, acrubbed tyres don't make the tyre go out of round. Can they result in steering shake? Yes, but this is because of the pressure being applied to the road correctly; the tyres are generally still round - just worn badly in places. Ok, once they shred, then you may have a point about them being out of round.

ebayholic - no pedders do not generally do tyre balancing; they are a suspension shop. You need to take the tyres to a tyre shop for balancing (funny about that).

Old 30-03-2009, 12:53 AM   #30
ebayholic

JC - thanks for letting me know. Is balancing one of those things that only need to be done for new tyres? Or does it have to be done every now and then like wheel alignment?