Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-12-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Help - Rattle from AU Premium Brakes

Hey all, my Premium (Tickford) front brakes are rattling their little pins off (not literally though). Anyone know how to make this stop? Is a new pin the answer? Are different pads made by different manufacturers slightly larger/smaller - reason I ask is mine move quite freely in the calliper, and the calliper itself moves back and forth along the disc by about 3 to 5 mm.

Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 12:49 AM   #2
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Just to clarify JC, when you say "along" the disc do you mean parallel with it as in with and against rotation or did you mean across the disc, ie. the thickness of the rotor?

If it's rattling back and forth with the rotation then you have a big problem. The calipers are supposed to be fixed tight. If they're rattling check for loose bolts holding the caliper to the stub.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Have a read through there JC and I will check with Pinky, when and if I
get home and see how he went
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11312803

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if the pads a little loose in the caliper( creating pad knock) you can centre punch around the edge of the pads about 1-5/2 mm from the edge just enough to swell the edge slightly,with a very faint smear of graphite grease.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
T3man
Banned

If you have caliper movement either a pin has fallen out or been left out - did you have to remove the circlips and pins ?? Sometimes you can't get them back on with new pads in unless you remove the pin. If the circlip hasn't been replaced correctly it can pop out leaving the whole caliper body floating. Also the flat washer has to be fitted on the pin correctly. That is to say on the correct "end" of the pin - think it's the outside from memory.

Pads should be a tight fit in the caliper - did they have the spring clips with them or did you re-use the old ones? If you didn't get new ones supplied then maybe the old ones (that you re-used?) are out of shape and not doing their job. If so you'll have to take them back out and spread the clip so it places more pressure on the caliper body - the pads should be quite a tight fit if the clip is "healthy".
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
if the pads a little loose in the caliper( creating pad knock) you can centre punch around the edge of the pads about 1-5/2 mm from the edge just enough to swell the edge slightly,with a very faint smear of graphite grease.
I don't see how "stretching" the pad can help - the pad is not the full dimension of the backing plate and it is the backing plate that is held in the caliper (not the pad).

Also a bit concerned with the idea of grease anywhere near the pads????????
Old 02-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
hendoau99
app diesel mechanic

^^ agreed, i wouldn't put any grease near the pads unless it's a bit of anti squeal grease on the back of the pad when you install them.
hendoau99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
I don't see how "stretching" the pad can help - the pad is not the full dimension of the backing plate and it is the backing plate that is held in the caliper (not the pad).

Also a bit concerned with the idea of grease anywhere near the pads????????
I'd highly doubt he'd be referring to the pad face, but the pad backing instead.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
I'd highly doubt he'd be referring to the pad face, but the pad backing instead.
thats correct, the graphite tiny smear goes on the very edge (edge of the metal part where it slides against the cast houseing) if done correctly won`t be near enough to get anywhere near the friction material, i might add this was a warranty fix for pad knock on xc falcons, sorry perhaps i did`nt explain well, the centre punching is done on the metal part around the metal edge faceing you with pad laying on the work bench, (friction material faceing the roof), you could probably get by without the graphite.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #10
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I think I must have done that way back when i looked after the cabs mik because i knew exactly what you were talking about

Back in the day we used to get people with rattling or squealing pads - some mechanics would suggest everything. Wash your brakes, blow them out with compressed air, reskim the discs, put sticky coating on the back of the pads etc etc etc

The best and easiest solution I ever found was just to get a new set of pads from a decent manufacturer. People do insist on putting on $22 pads then complaining they're squealing. Go pay $80 for a pair of pairs and she'll be all good.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #11
T3man
Banned

$80 for a set of pads ... I WISH!
Old 02-12-2010, 10:05 PM   #12
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Bushbasher - the movement is lateral along the disc. Thanks Whoosha and T3man. The pin does rattle around quite freely, but is definitely engaged properly and has the c clips in place, plus a washer front and back to minimise pin movement. I understand that these are a fully floating calliper too, so there is bound to be some movement (I remember pete, the scooby snacks dude had a lot of trouble with Pad knock off with these brakes), but the ratle can be fairly constant and annoying.

Might get me a new set of pins from Ford (if they still sell them).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 02-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #13
T3man
Banned

I think Cebco are your best bet for replacement pins.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Thanks Jeff.

Just went and checked them again; yeserday's check was with wheel jacked up, off the ground. With the wheel on the ground, there is very little movement in the calliper, but the pin still moves back and forth, which is pretty normal given that's what it's supposed to do.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #15
adrian k
adrian

have you got the pressure clips in, the ones that come on the pads. I find i have to push the pad hard to be able to get the pin thru. I left these out once and the pin was loose and the pad rattled...
T3 TS50 #17 275kW
AU3 XR8 SVP 220kW
adrian k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 01:22 AM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian k
have you got the pressure clips in, the ones that come on the pads. I find i have to push the pad hard to be able to get the pin thru. I left these out once and the pin was loose and the pad rattled...
I'll have to check, but I think yes.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #17
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
(I remember pete, the scooby snacks dude had a lot of trouble with Pad knock off with these brakes)
I thought Pete had problems with the Brembos on the rear of his ute.
Which is the same problem I have with my Brembo ute.

It was due to axle end float - the fix was to throw light springs in the caliper behind the pistons......