Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Default Are we really what we are?

Check this out: http://www.washington.edu/news/2012/...can-be-tested/

I love stuff like this it's very interesting.

Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Are we really what we are?

I walked to a wall and called out 'Computer, end program' but nothing happened?

Interesting theory none the less.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
creative
I am Batman

Released a few years after the first Matrix film...... someone wanted an easy grad paper! Lol
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Since I started to think for myself, I have always believed that Hollywood (generically speaking) in an unwitting spokesperson for an Underground Government. Or in this case a set of computer protocols if you want to think about it as a computer program.

Good Lord I'm gunna have nightmares tonight for sure.

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Vincenzo; 01-05-2013 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Add a Smiley
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The entire premise is a fail. They argue that the simulation shortcuts we would take to run such a simulation would be evident in a future simulation.

If you can simulate a human to the point of self-awareness, and everything they interact with, you can simulate the universe without the need for assumptions.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we are all just ants in an alien ant farm..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
we are all just ants in an alien ant farm..
ANNIE ARE YOU OK? ARE YOU OK ANNIE?

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #8
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

C'mom guys you know at the end its going to equal 42
Old 01-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Use the Force Luke and subdue the Paradox.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #10
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

His hypothesis is flawed.
For there to be a simulation, then one of two circumstances exist: Either I (and maybe others) are part of the simulation or, we are not. I would break the latter possibility down further into two sub possibilities: that we exist in the corporeal form we perceive, living in a simulated environment, or we exist in some other form but perceive this simulated reality due to some stricture placed upon us. (I never really followed it, but I believe that was the concept of the original Matrix? That humans “lived” in pods, and experienced some virtual reality?)

If, as the author posits, we are part of a simulation being run by the descendants of humanity, then the point is moot. If I am simply a computer program (and if so my programmer should get the sack) then this is reality for me. I am programmed to interpret my reality in a specific way, but since my perception of that interpretation (or the interpretation of the perception) is also programed, it is not in any way false.

If we are in fact real corporeal beings, living in a simulated environment, is it not as “real” as we perceive it to be? I suppose it is possible that the laws of physics in the real world are different to what we know, and in fact allow sufficient manipulation of energy and matter to create an artificial environment in which only a subset of those laws is apparent.
Perhaps that would explain all the odd socks and missing underpants?
Although personally I believe the existence of “underpants gnomes” to be a more plausible explanation.

The final idea, that we exist somewhere and in some form, and the world we know is a virtual reality, is perhaps the most intriguing.
eg that we are actually “living” in pods, and/or aren’t even “human,” or perhaps exists in a completely different (eg non-corporeal) form.
For that to work, our ability to perceive our “true reality” must be completely extinguished. In which case I would again ague that our perceived reality is as good as it gets. Even a person content to live their whole life in one town is aware that other towns and countries exist. If I have no knowledge of an “outside world” beyond this universe, and no way to obtain such knowledge, is my perception of reality truly false?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:55 AM   #11
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Absolutely no relavance to to this but Onya Pottery lol , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDl9ZMfj6aE
Old 02-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thankfully this is, after all a car forum, and religion is verboten. But this is what I love about my FF.com.au
I don't do Facebook and etc. I visit a couple of HiFi and Astronomy sites which have 'general' forums, but they are generally more constrained. In other words, this is my FB and maybe it is what FB is meant to be.
And unlike FB, there are a huge number of experienced, deep thinkers here and I enjoy these amazing threads and learn so much from reading them. Stuff that makes me think, makes me smile or frown. Mostly chuckle (in a good way).
President Obama has just announced a 'new' frontier, basically, the understanding of the mind.
Watch out!
Just as the decoding of the human genome (started in the 1980's) was completed years ahead of time (at least the essential 'ingredients'), this new project, with the availability of greater computing power, might happen within the decade.
My opinion of the human brain (limited) is that it is a link. In other words, I am talking about Soul Theory. That is to say, there is a bit of you, that exists in a realm outside of your present frame of reference.
I read an article (darn, didn't save it) where researchers were actually able to monitor individual nerve cells in a 'test tube', in fact, not just the cells, but the organelles (the 'organs' that make up a cell - mitochondria, nucleus etc). We are talking about things of an extremely small nature. They measured that at this scale, quantum physics holds sway. Using the description of a simple switch, the switch can be either on, or off, or both on and off at the same time. In other words, the firing of the nerve cell is produced not solely by external stimulation but by events that are at a quanta (sub atomic) level.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
Use the Force Luke and subdue the Paradox.
Use the force, Harry.
- Gandalf

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661 View Post
ANNIE ARE YOU OK? ARE YOU OK ANNIE?

Gotcha man = huge
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Old 02-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #15
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hell, here is a typical FB post...
The garbos just picked up my rubbish.

Dead set, it's exactly 12:00 my WAST time.

I'm gonna monitor him

Cheers. I gotta go to bed, just finished NS, but I love awake, same as some people love asleep.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #16
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

"BUT THEN WHO CREATED THE PROGRAMMER?, DID A PROGRAMMER PROGRAM THE PROGRAMMER?? AND THE PROGRAMMERS PROGRAMMER PROGRAMMED THE PROGRAMMER???"

My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #17
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_F6 View Post
"BUT THEN WHO CREATED THE PROGRAMMER?, DID A PROGRAMMER PROGRAM THE PROGRAMMER?? AND THE PROGRAMMERS PROGRAMMER PROGRAMMED THE PROGRAMMER???"

Infinite regress.....
technically your denying your own existance...
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #18
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im not !

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #19
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
Since I started to think for myself, I have always believed that Hollywood (generically speaking) in an unwitting spokesperson for an Underground Government. Or in this case a set of computer protocols if you want to think about it as a computer program.

Good Lord I'm gunna have nightmares tonight for sure.

Cheers Vincenzo

What like the illuminati?
The secret Hollywood underworld that tries to brain wash us with movies, tv and songs.
Apparently some celebrities sell their souls to the Illuminati, then they are killed when they try to escape like 2pac & MJ

It's amazing what some people come up with. Youtube it. It's a funny and entertaining conspiracy theory.
It's about as likely as we are living in a computer simulation.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2015, 10:10 PM   #20
Trump
bitch lasagne

Moderate thread mine in progress...

http://www.space.com/30124-is-our-universe-a-fake.html

Another article about the simulation hypothesis.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post