Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
XR037
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Petrol/Fuel

I was just wondering if someone could explain the differences with the fuel available. I fill mine with 91 unleaded and thats amount all I really understand...

Can I use 95? 98? Are they interchangeable or do I have to stick to one?

Are there differences between Brands and if so which would you all recommend?

Also, how is Unleaded E10 different? Can this be used if I was just running normal 91 unleaded?

Thanks for the explanations

XR037 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Petrol/Fuel

Start here with a quick skim and then go back in depth...LINK

I'm sure others will add plenty on 91-95-98 ULP as well as E10 but if you have a standard NA car,
you'll get the best economy with around 95 as it has slightly more bang for bucks but you pay a little more for it.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR037
I was just wondering if someone could explain the differences with the fuel available. I fill mine with 91 unleaded and thats amount all I really understand...

Can I use 95? 98? Are they interchangeable or do I have to stick to one?

Are there differences between Brands and if so which would you all recommend?

Also, how is Unleaded E10 different? Can this be used if I was just running normal 91 unleaded?

Thanks for the explanations
For the BA I found that Shell 91 octane gave just as good performance and economy as 95 or 98 octane, so I used that all the time in the BA1 Ghia, with the Coles vouchers which made it cheaper again.

The FG is quite different, there is a noticeable performance improvement when using 98 octane (I only use BP Ultimate) compared to 95, I've never used 91 octane in it.

I would never use E10.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
XR037
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh I've heard that BP Ultimate seems to be the best. So I can have a combination of the 3 in my tank?...as in if i had 91 in there now, there would obviously be some fuel left when I went to re-fill and I put in 98 instead. Theres no harm switching between them?

What about Caltex/Woolworths?
Old 04-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah mixing unleaded petrol is fine. Most people recommend BP 95 or 98.
Jack960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #6
mytoolsupplies
Starter Motor

E10 is a mix of petrol and ethanol ,normaly at a ratio of 10% ethanol ,I personaly would not use it
mytoolsupplies is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR037
Theres no harm switching between them?
from what i've heard, mixing them is a good idea if you regularly use low end fuels as the higher octane fuel will clean out the system after using a tank of 91 or e10.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
XR037
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytoolsupplies
E10 is a mix of petrol and ethanol ,normaly at a ratio of 10% ethanol ,I personaly would not use it
But how is this different to 91, as in how does the 10% ethanol affect the car?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
XR037
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
from what i've heard, mixing them is a good idea if you regularly use low end fuels as the higher octane fuel will clean out the system after using a tank of 91 or e10.
Cool thanks mate. Just wanted to make sure coz i think i might change to 95 or 98 if its better (just had no idea what they were before lol)
Old 06-03-2012, 03:50 AM   #10
rjr

The best way to clean out your fuel system is to use a few tanks of Caltex Vortex as the Vortex component is a cleaning agent.

Quote:
Vortex Premium Fuels

Designed to Clean.

It's no secret that the wrong choice of fuel may damage your vehicle. A build up of carbon deposits adversely affects injector spray patterns. The result: the ability to deliver fuel during the combustion cycle is hampered - causing loss of power.

Dirty intake valves may further reduce the efficiency of the fuel-air flow and an engine's performance. Your car will feel sluggish and fuel efficiency will be reduced. That's why vehicle manufacturers often recommend premium fuels.

Caltex Vortex Premium Fuels have been specifically formulated with special detergents to clean your car's fuel system while you drive - breaking down and removing deposits that build up in critical areas of the fuel delivery system.

Used regularly, Vortex Premium Fuels will ensure your engine continues to run at its best.
http://www.caltex.com.au/ProductsAnd...miumFuels.aspx
rjr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post