Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 28-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
somers181

Default Fuel Plug for WT Fiesta's

Good News, the plugs arrived today, much earlier than expeceted.........
Bad News, they dont fit my WT Fiesta Sedan........

I have sent a message to the US Fiesta Forum to see whether their Fiesta's are made in Thailand or US as i assumed when reading the forum and reading the descriptions they were the same build as far as fuel filler outlet is concerned, they look similar in pictures but who knows?!?!?!

At this stage i've got 4 genuine US Ford plugs, model number is 8U5Z-9C268-B
that i will list back on ebay to sell cheap to the US if they are no good here... sorry guys.....

Any of the Ford guys on here provide any light on this matter as Ford Australia dont supply a plug.

You can open the flap by bumping up against it, stick your finger in to hold the flap open and pour sugar/sand/dirt in with ease............

Old 29-04-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
Caydus

Default Re: Fuel Plug for WT Fiesta's

owch :(

im guessing most likely the hatch and sedan are the same, so quite possibly no good at all in aus?

Also, not sure if it's just the gearbox, but i have a feeling the US fiestas are made in mexico
Caydus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Fiestaman

Yeah - US Fiestas are made in Mexico. Their capless system appears to be a bit different to ours made in Thailand.
For a picture of their setup see http://www.flickr.com/photos/mooncri...ms/4566647888/

Should you worry about tampering or siphoning of fuel? Not according to Ford who quote:

"What about customers' fear that vandals might tamper with the fuel tank?
We can assure our valued customers that the Fiesta's capless fuel system is perfectly safe and secure. Ford engineers are not so clueless as to fail to take this into the design consideration. We invite everyone to personally inspect the Fiesta at any of our dealerships. Tampering with its capless fuel system is just as difficult as tampering with a regular locked fuel lid."
Fiestaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
Caydus

the seemingly impenetrable fuel cap can be penetrated by the little PVC black funnel provided in the temporary mobility kit, then a couple litres of sugar/water/****/vomit passed through into your fuel.

fun times ensue
Old 29-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
JClarke
Deaf Driver

but, caydus - the funnel is stored inside and the person who tampers needs to hassle to get it out of the car first.......that'll stall them, before the owner discovers it - at the time the alarm goes off.
Old 29-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
Caydus

The point i'm trying to make is that it's a pretty standard funnel.

It's only straight black PVC tube with a roughly 1/2" OD. You can find stuff like that anywhere.
Old 29-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
somers181

You can push your little finger in to open the fuel flap, there is virtually no pressure on it at all as i used a McDonalds Straw to hold it open, with that or a toothpick/stick you can put what you like down the pipe......... no one is worried about siphoning fuel, although at $1.50/litre they might start..... its the guys ****ing into the tank or putting who knows what down there i want to stop..........
Old 29-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I've been reading this thread for a while and thought I'd chip in my 2c after owning a Mondeo with capless refuelling.

Nobody is going to carry a PVC pipe around with them in the hope they might find a Fiesta with capless refuelling to then try to siphon fuel or inject something into your fuel tank. It's so unlikely as to be not really worth your time investigating surely! The Capless setup has a built in lock that needs all the tabs pressed at the same time to open the flap from memory.

Besides that, if I was a criminal stealing fuel, I wouldn't be targeting 30L tanks in Fiestas, I'd be looking for something bigger to get more fuel to make it worth my while. Just in my honest opinion the combination of the built in lock on the capless mechanism, the size of the tank and the fact that there aren't nearly as many Fiestas around as other cars, it'd be one of the last cars in the world anyone would ever target.

If they steal the funnel out of your boot, then they've already smashed a window/boot/busted a door lock. Not questioning your right to buy a locking cap, but I'm just not so sure it's a massive concern.

If in doubt, check www.european-parts.net to see if they offer something, otherwise do a Google search for one of the Ford UK Dealers and drop them an email to see if they might know someone over there who does one if the US ones don't fit.

As a thought, if there a locking pin built into the fuel-door arm then perhaps a Euro-spec Titanium might have this in-built like a Falcon has here? Get one of the UK guys to check their catalogue?

Hope it helps.