Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-04-2005, 01:33 PM   #61
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smciner1
Can be fun to watch. Not my cup of tea. I hardly think it is a comprtitive sport when the winner is judged on style rather than a hard and fast speed or time at the end of the track.
Drifting is judged on something like Speed, Style, Skill or smoke or something. The skills these guys have at the top level is amazing entering a corner at 170k/mh+ going sideways controlling it through the corner then linking it to the next corner is awesome, whilst all this time being just inches from your opponent :sm_headba

I think the problem is that most people percieve drift as getting your auto/single spinner VS commodores *** out a little while going around the corner or leaving a carpark. You really have to see the guys in the D1 championship to see what its all about.

I'll probably get flamed for this last comment but i think all the old timers/tradionalist are so against it because of its massive increase in popularity over the past year. Things such as CH10 havning a 30min show dedicated to it on sunday only indicate its going to get bigger and better as more companies jump on board and the quality of cars and skills of the drivers will increase accordingly, at the moment you must remeber that 80-90% of drift cars in the Australian comps at the moment are mainly personal/street driven cars, not track dedicated machines.

Have a look at this vid, pretty cool not real drift just exhibition
http://www.compfused.com/directlink/622/
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 02:15 PM   #62
MRJUCY
Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
haha yeah and people that love the drags whats that about ? You just go forward in a straight line all the time j/k

I like both and whilst drifiting isn't a sport, its just as easy to describe drifting or quarter mile running really basic.
Drag racing is racing, drifting isn't matter fact to me it's the exact opposite I'd much prefer to see how fast someone can get through a set of bends then how they can dance on them.
Sure it takes some sort of skill but so does syncronised swimming or inseminating cattle but I don't want to watch any of them. Just cause I think I think it's stupid doesn't mean I have anything against anyone else enjoying it tho & I think it would probably be fun to do it's just watching it & the whole competitive aspect that does nothing for me.

Last edited by MRJUCY; 28-04-2005 at 02:20 PM.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 02:48 PM   #63
EFFalcon
Last warning

i think its great to watch..
and more potential for whackin a wall!
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 03:21 PM   #64
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

drifting is bout getting sideways while drag racing is trying to keep it straight lol. both are fast just different and both involve high speed. like i said before some of these drifting cars you can change the setup for drag racing and they are just as fast. id rather be able to do different tyes of motorsport with one car than just one type
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 04:01 PM   #65
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even some falcons are getting into it...

Its also just not silvias and skylines too in Japan they use many 4 door cars e.g. cefiro, laureal, wrx and theres even a rwd toyota startlet turbo going around lol
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 04:30 PM   #66
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its also good cause you can get pretty much any car to drift without neccessarily having a lot of power. yeah you can drag but you wont go very fast lol
Old 28-04-2005, 04:36 PM   #67
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Drag racing is racing, drifting isn't matter fact to me it's the exact opposite I'd much prefer to see how fast someone can get through a set of bends then how they can dance on them.
For sure. Drifting isn't racing at all.

But both have the potential to see accidents and that's what I reckon makes it worthwhile.

Has Fez and XB.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 05:08 PM   #68
Pearly
Lowriding

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the time spent at most functions taking photos free for us 

I think a lot of you need to get into the passenger seat of a drift car and go for a spin. It is mind blowing how much fun you have just being in the passenger side. I couldn't imagine actually doing it.

I think it IS a sport, and it takes just as much skill if not more to drift race as it does to drag race or circuit race. You only have to look at the beginners rounds to see it. Just because one person doesn't cross the finish line before the other, doesn't mean it's not a sport. Different sports have different rules.
The aim of baseball isn't to hit the ball into a hoop with a net, is it? Drifting isn't about finishing over the line before the other bloke either. If all sports where the same, they'd be boring.

If you like getting your car sideways, and there are a lot of you who do, you'll love drifting. Another good thing about it is that just about anyone can do it. You don't need a car with huge HP to win.

It's great to watch (specially beginner rounds) and I can say from being in the passenger seat, that it's great to participate in!

I can't wait to try it myself.
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 05:14 PM   #69
Pearly
Lowriding

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the time spent at most functions taking photos free for us 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDXR6
I'll probably get flamed for this last comment but i think all the old timers/tradionalist are so against it because of its massive increase in popularity over the past year.
I kind of agree with you there, but I think it's more because of the style of cars that where first to hit the scene.
I bet it if was bigger cars sporting big HP v8 it would have been welcomed a bit better.
Old 28-04-2005, 05:19 PM   #70
EFFalcon
Last warning

i don't think anyone was saying its not a sport...
more so its not 'racing'
which i agree with, its deffinately a sport, probably more so then a lot of other forms of motorsport.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 05:26 PM   #71
Pearly
Lowriding

Ah... oops. :

/me slaps John

Oh well. I've said how I feel about it :nutsycuck
Old 28-04-2005, 05:42 PM   #72
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Has anyone here watched the Initial D series? (don't answer this InitialD hahaha!)

Very cool anime series (can be found online) that focuses on downhill drifting. It's interesting because it highlights tricks and methods for drifting around different types of corners (or in the wet), RWD vs FWD vs AWD drifting (yes, you can drift in an FWD and AWD, it's all about brake control so that the back end steps out due to front brake bias).

Meh, my post is getting cut short by the "owner" of this computer lab at uni! I'll either add to this post later, or make a new one further along in this thread...

-Dave-

EDIT: (adding to post)...

In one of the episodes, an older man asks the kids what they think "drifting" is. They all answer with RWD oversteer, except one guy (who is the star of the show) who says it's about entering and exiting a corner as fastly as possible, and by letting all four wheels drift if need be, no matter what kind of car you're in. That kind of drifting is what I'd call "Racing", coz it really is about who can get from point A to point B the quickest, rather than who can pull off the fanciest trick... Tarmac rallying, perhaps?

Oh, the "Star's" car is a 150hp AE86, who takes on 350+HP RX7s, R32s, etc, and beats 'em. Go the underdog!

If anyone here watches the series, think of the character called Itsuki. That's Ghia5L in a nutshell (yes I'm aware that I am kind of insulting myself here!) :

Last edited by mcflux; 28-04-2005 at 06:33 PM.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 06:25 PM   #73
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
Its finally startgin to get some major sponsorship and CHannel10 even featured it on the long weekend. Only a 6min clip, but they got inundated with phone calls about it so the signs are good.

With that, im plannign to debut the first drift falcon ever hehe. Plenty of weight loss needed...
Hey T-Terror, i've got a VCT XR6 falcon and just like you i would love to do some drift racing aswell. How much fun!! I think we would do well on the open sweepers, but struggle with tight stuff. Plenty of smoke i'm sure though. lol.

My mates are interested in the 'sport'. For some it is their favourite 'motorsport' or even sport full stop. Anything that can encourage car control skills in the predominantly young audience is good. I hope Drifting continues to grow.

NB you have got to see the crazyass megadrifters from japan, they are amazing. You HAVE to see it. All credit due, but the Aussie stuff pales in comparison. Within a few short years the gap will be largely bridged. We are an inventive lot.
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 08:31 PM   #74
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

think about all the people (a lot of V8 drivers do it) who kick the back out of their car to get it sideways. they obviously do it cause its fun. now just link a few together and its awesome.
Old 28-04-2005, 09:51 PM   #75
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drifting isn't about having the most horsepower. Having a 1000HP ute for drifting is just stupid, you don't need that horsepower and the lack of weight over the rear nears drifiting can be acheived with less power.

Most pro-drift cars in japan are running between 350hp to 700hp. Alot a drifters go for a low powered car as the skill involved is greatly amplified, A great example is that on drift bible the guy drifts using a S14 without any power mods at all and does so extremely well.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 09:57 PM   #76
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
Drifting isn't about having the most horsepower. Having a 1000HP ute for drifting is just stupid, you don't need that horsepower and the lack of weight over the rear nears drifiting can be acheived with less power.

Most pro-drift cars in japan are running between 350hp to 700hp. Alot a drifters go for a low powered car as the skill involved is greatly amplified, A great example is that on drift bible the guy drifts using a S14 without any power mods at all and does so extremely well.
lol - why dont we all just put 4 bangers in our street car because having more power than you need is just stupid

I can appreciate a 1000hp ute drifting more than a near stock s14 (it did have a hell of a suspension package which made it a lot easier to drift - not that you need it when you have that skill level anyway).

Drifting is not just for drivers, it is also a spectator sport
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 10:06 PM   #77
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

I like it a lot.

Its pure skill. I have some D1 videos which are just mind blowing. Personally I hope it gets so huge that oneday there will be a D1 round in Australia. I read somewhere that in 5 years time there may be an actual world championship of sorts. Different manufacturers from all over the world competing against one another in venues around the world. I gotta say it would be pretty cool to see a FPV Tornado/Pursuit Drift Ute giving it to the Silvias and the rest of the Japanese cars.

But it won't happen... :(
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 10:11 PM   #78
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As has been said before if you're real about drifting get into rally....if you're not then stick to your carparks and pretend your doing something.

Hell I can drift just as bad as the rest in a motorkhana....it is NOT a sport,it is bullshit!!!!!!!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 10:14 PM   #79
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstandard
lol - why dont we all just put 4 bangers in our street car because having more power than you need is just stupid

I can appreciate a 1000hp ute drifting more than a near stock s14 (it did have a hell of a suspension package which made it a lot easier to drift - not that you need it when you have that skill level anyway).

Drifting is not just for drivers, it is also a spectator sport
I didn't say having power was a bad thing. I said having 1000HP was stupid, all it does is allow you go through any corner with massive wheelspin which is a near skillless form of drifting.
Old 28-04-2005, 10:26 PM   #80
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I didn't say having power was a bad thing. I said having 1000HP was stupid, all it does is allow you go through any corner with massive wheelspin which is a near skillless form of drifting.
you said it was 'stupid', so doing stupid things is a good then?

drifting a 1000hp ute might be 'skillless', but I would bet more people from these forums would go to see that instead of drivers skillfully drifting near stock s14's
Old 28-04-2005, 10:32 PM   #81
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, I said it was stupid to have a 1000hp ute and it is. Whats your problem?

In sure people would like to see the ute simply because it has 1000hp, but once there the attention would turn to the S14 very quickly.
Old 28-04-2005, 10:38 PM   #82
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
As has been said before if you're real about drifting get into rally....if you're not then stick to your carparks and pretend your doing something.

Hell I can drift just as bad as the rest in a motorkhana....it is NOT a sport,it is bullshit!!!!!!!
I figure sport is all about some kinda of dynamic competition, which drifting comps are...
I think there's a bit gap between the skills involved in motorkahna and a professional drift series...

-Stu

EDIT: ohh and for the record (before this get's closed!!) i'm a hell of alot more interested in a 1000hp Ute than a stock S14....no matter which ones doing better.

Last edited by dogbreath_48; 28-04-2005 at 10:39 PM.
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 10:40 PM   #83
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, I said it was stupid to have a 1000hp ute and it is. Whats your problem?

In sure people would like to see the ute simply because it has 1000hp, but once there the attention would turn to the S14 very quickly.
LOL - This isnt Tokyo mate
Old 28-04-2005, 10:58 PM   #84
flavze

Quote:
What a twat of a quote, have you actually seen the CAPA drift ute in action?
It use the horsepower to generate amssive amounts of wheelspin an tyresmoke to entertain the crowd which is the whole purpose of any form of sport or entertainmant. It also generaly carries more speed on the track than any other car out there.
I've always liked the concept of drift but in the early days it was pretty gay to watch other than 1 or 2 really good guys, but watching it up at mallala during the Aussie racing series there is some pretty good guys out there now making it great to watch.
Oh an there's a guy here in Adelaide who's been competing in an old VB rally commo who's just got sponsorship to build up a full on drift monaro!

But hey if ya don't like it shut the **** up an stay home!
Cheers...Nath
flavze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 11:02 PM   #85
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

But it's not all about oversteer-on-demand... Pieoter has a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstandard
That's like saying Skaife & Ambrose don't need those uber-powerful V8s in their V8 supercars because they're really skilled...

-Dave-
Old 28-04-2005, 11:04 PM   #86
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

How about we all calm down a little bit ok?
Everyone has a right to an opinion without it getting heated.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 11:08 PM   #87
chippa6
Novice Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavze
But hey if ya don't like it shut the **** up an stay home!
Sums up the whole thread, horses for courses really.
Old 28-04-2005, 11:10 PM   #88
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

I guess it's something you either love or hate.

Personally I love it, but show me a ford of motorsport I don't enjoy to some extent, and you'd simply be introducing me to another form of motorsport to keep me entertained.

I'd love to have a go at it one day, I think a 2L Mk II Escort would be a great car to do it in...

I don't know about calling it a sport, more of a display of skill in my opinion.

I can see the comparison with rallying, after all, I think it takes skill (and either being very brave or stupid) to take a corner sideways at speed, I love watching it, but I doubt I would ever take a corner sideways on a dirt road with trees so close you could almost touch them, whereas I would have a go at drifting on a track - runoff areas are much friendlier then trees.
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 11:12 PM   #89
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
But it's not all about oversteer-on-demand... Pieoter has a point.

That's like saying Skaife & Ambrose don't need those uber-powerful V8s in their V8 supercars because they're really skilled...

-Dave-
I think you miss the point of my post. I say power makes it more fun to watch. Ambrose needs power because it is a race (duh) - you need to go fast. Power is too important in a race.

This is very different to drifting, because it is in no way a race...

Cars can drift with little power. The drivers might get a kick out of it because it takes a lot of skill, but IMO it is boring to watch. Hi power cars are easier to drift and are better to watch.
Old 28-04-2005, 11:31 PM   #90
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Yeah but stick 50 hairpins into a race circuit & see what car goes from start to finish... The car that can enter & exit each corner the fastest. The most powerful car isn't neccesarily the winner here.

If it's uphill, then yes, power does matter!

If it's a flat or downhill course full of corners, then power will do little for you. That's where handling comes into it.

Drifting can be seen as a race, a race between two or more cars (or even one-car time trial) for who can get from point A to point B the quickest. However since there are many different forms of drifting competitions, this doesn't neccesarily apply. Think of NFS Underground, that "drifting" is just for who can pull off the most fishies without leaving the track. I agree with you here that that kind of "drifting" is not a race.

-Dave-

Last edited by mcflux; 28-04-2005 at 11:34 PM.