Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-04-2005, 08:03 PM   #1
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Default Licensing dilemma

Hi, I just got a speeding ticket for going 13 km over the limit (60). I am a P plater in QLD, and that means I only have four points. This ticket has lost me three, and I have another ticket under my belt for another three.

Does this mean that I instantly lose the license, or will I have to go to court to determine what happens?

What are my options regarding a "good behaviour" license?

Will they take into consideration my job which requires a license?

Help appreciated, thanks.

Daniel

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2005, 08:08 PM   #2
MrQuan
Social Disaster

sh!t, not a good situation to be in (><

A mate when I was in highschool went to court when they tried to take his licence (he was on Ps). He was able to show them that he depends on his car in order to do his job, so I think they left him with some kinda good behiour thing - or 1 point or something. Anyways, he kept his licence.

That was in Adelaide, but I'm not sure of things in your location... "Walking down the street to the local milk bar to have a milkshake and possibly a ham cheese sandwich" :P

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!

Last edited by MrQuan; 29-04-2005 at 08:09 PM.
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2005, 08:10 PM   #3
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

It gone..
You will recieve a letter demanding you hand your license in.
You might be lucky if you go to court and plea for a day license but most judges don't give them to P platers. My drivers can't even get a work license and driving is their only source of income. It bites but I don't think there is much you can do. No harm in trying though

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2005, 08:18 PM   #4
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Oh well, thems the breaks.

Oo\===/oO
Old 29-04-2005, 08:46 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah but if you go to court i think you can also get convicted and then have to pay court fees. If you just pay it you cop a suspension and a fine. Im in the same boat. I think Ive been done twice in the last 2 weeks but not sure. If i have then im screwed. What sucks is that i work 6 days a week and have to go to school on the other side of town. It takes me 30-40 mins to drive 25km in peak hour and i can only imagine how long the bus would take. Lets just say im screwed royal if im caught. Ive already had a warning so yeah. But im the only one to blame for it.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2005, 09:27 PM   #6
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Just nominate someone else
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2005, 09:44 PM   #7
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just get used to the line THESE BOOTS WERE MADE FOR WALKING. Good luck
Old 29-04-2005, 10:04 PM   #8
Damo
Banned

if it's any thing like Vic, you'll get 2 options. Cop a 3 month license suspension, or 12 month probation. If you do anything wrong in that 12 month period, ie fail to display P's, you lose licence for a full year.

I was in the same position, also got caught driving on the original 1 month suspension, twice, i took the 12 month probation, stupidly got a speeding fine, mum saved my ****. I dunno what happened there but my license is still good and i havn't been caught for anything. I don't question it.

I think my probation ends soon. Also you may be restricted to carrying one passenger.
Though it's probably different in QLD.

Good luck.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2005, 10:08 PM   #9
MrQuan
Social Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo
if it's any thing like Vic, you'll get 2 options. Cop a 3 month license suspension, or 12 month probation. If you do anything wrong in that 12 month period, ie fail to display P's, you lose licence for a full year.

I was in the same position, also got caught driving on the original 1 month suspension, twice, i took the 12 month probation, stupidly got a speeding fine, mum saved my ****. I dunno what happened there but my license is still good and i havn't been caught for anything. I don't question it.

I think my probation ends soon. Also you may be restricted to carrying one passenger.
Though it's probably different in QLD.

Good luck.
Your Mum probably told the coppers she was driving the car when it was caught speeding. So she would've copped the demerit points - not you. Unless ofcourse you were pulled over and asked to produce you licence...

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2005, 02:41 AM   #10
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Well, in my case, i paid the fine... few weeks later i got a letter with a 1 month advanced warning, that i couldnt drive for 3 months, but can keep my licence....

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2005, 06:29 AM   #11
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Mate, not a good situation.
I think they will send a letter to you asking you to show cause why you should not lose it. Do not respond to that type of thing without correct legal advice. DO NOT listen to anyone here on the NET, anything we give you is only gereal information.

My suggestion to you is at least enquire with a solictior before responding. In Brisbane there is a place called CAXTON leagal service or something like that. They usally need you to make an appointment on a weeknight, listen to your situation and then advise if its worth taking further. Its a free service for the first hour I think, if not some other solictors have whats called a 20/20 service. $20 for 20 minutes original consulation. Use that avenue over asking advice here.

Hows my net advice for an oxy moron then LOL!!!
Old 30-04-2005, 07:55 AM   #12
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

very true yaw, they will send you a option sheet

loose it for 3 months (you keep the physical licance though)
1 point 1 year, occur any more dermit points in that year you will lose it for double the first period with no option for furthur exemptions (ie more dermit points) so u loose it for 6 months with out the right to get another point. if u get what i mean.

been in the situation so i know how it works, if you get caught and you need ur licance for work you can apply for a 'DAY'/'Work' licance if u can show cause that loosing your job because of ur licance will cause hardship.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2005, 12:32 PM   #13
Damo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuan
Your Mum probably told the coppers she was driving the car when it was caught speeding. So she would've copped the demerit points - not you. Unless ofcourse you were pulled over and asked to produce you licence...
Yeah, my car is registered in her name and it was a fixed speed camera. Mum took the points i paid the fine. I guess i'm lucky, mum still loves me. _2:
Old 30-04-2005, 01:09 PM   #14
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

I'm guessing your just going to have to wear it. Its no use complaing about it now and looking for ways to get out of it. If you've been caught twice then you just didnt learn the first time so maybe this will drive the point home so to speak.
I'm certainly no angel when it comes to speeding but when I got caught I made sure I was a good little boy til I got my points back because I realised what your only just realising.... you need a license for work and stuff.
Old 30-04-2005, 01:19 PM   #15
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Do P platers in Vic get 4 or 12?
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2005, 01:59 PM   #16
Damo
Banned

5 points Laminge.
Old 30-04-2005, 04:18 PM   #17
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Yea, unlucky me who was looking for a job at the time in Real Estate, but cant ne more cause you need a car...

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 02-05-2005, 10:51 AM   #18
Trevor 57
is now there

You will get a letter informing you f your loss of licence, this normally comes out pretty soon after the last offence. You will normally loose it 28 days after the infingment date. But if you don't get a letter, it doesn't mean your licence is NOT suspenede, it still could be, but they haven't informed you
Old 03-05-2005, 07:35 PM   #19
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Thanks guys. I am by no means making excuses for what has happened. I was caught fair and square. Might have to give a solicitor a call tomorrow to sort things out.

Oo\===/oO
Old 04-05-2005, 09:09 AM   #20
Trevor 57
is now there

Your State Licensing Authority (RTA, Vicroads, etc) are normally pretty good at telling you what is going on, go and pay them a visit, it will be cheaper.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:19 AM   #21
hqtunna
FNTUF

yeah i dont know the laws in your nexk of the woods but i lost my licence about 3weeks ago for burnouts and i ended up gettin a restricted licence so u could try for that, i got real good conditions. from mon-fri 7.00am-11.00pm and sat 12pm-11pm while no driving to on suday, these are just mainly for school and work purposes but still better then not being able to drive at all, i get my P's back half way through july.
hqtunna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2005, 01:07 PM   #22
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hqtunna
yeah i dont know the laws in your nexk of the woods but i lost my licence about 3weeks ago for burnouts and i ended up gettin a restricted licence so u could try for that, i got real good conditions. from mon-fri 7.00am-11.00pm and sat 12pm-11pm while no driving to on suday, these are just mainly for school and work purposes but still better then not being able to drive at all, i get my P's back half way through july.
Bummer....that is good... In NSW you cant appeal burnouts... so i dunno how you managed that... i should have tried to get my licence back after starting work and uni.... but oh well