Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-02-2005, 10:06 PM   #1
au-steve
fully *** turboooo

Question why did you buy an AU?

I love AU's, from TE50's to AU1 Fortes, all series, all models (except wagons, dont like any wagons).

I was just sitting here thinking how a few of my mates and people i meet bag me for having an AU (not jokingly either), even though they know its worked double wishbone front end and bulletproof turboed 4 litre straight 6 would make quick work of there Barina (i love Barina's, seriously, sexy girl in a barina gets me going) or Nissan Exa on any racetrack/street/strip/carpark. I dont understand it really, and thinking about how the poor AU gets shit hung on it for its looks (which i love), i got quite upset. and mixed with not having a car to polish at this moment in time i thought i would share my feelings.

another thing i get alot
"why dont you sell it and buy a BA? theres alot more scope for power on a BA"
some people just dont understand what owning an AU brings to me.

am i wierd?
au-steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 10:13 PM   #2
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes

I bought it cause it was there :P otherwise *shock horror* I would be in a Soarer V8
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 10:14 PM   #3
Cheahman
BOSS 260

I honestly hated the look of the AU when I first saw it and I still do hate the look of a base model. The only AU I think looks good are the XRs and Ts. The front of the car is fine but its just the back where it went all wrong.

I too get crap for owning an AU, but since its an XR its not too bad and the majority of people dont mind them. But I bought mine not based entirely on looks but the fact its one of the best cars Ive ever driven, far better than any commodore etc.

BA XR8
EB XR8
Cheahman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 10:14 PM   #4
au-steve
fully *** turboooo

okay i guess i am wierd then .... ignore me.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:23 PM   #5
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

I dont cop much bagging at all for owning the Au xr8 ute.
But different body style.

Except from the BA guys re the power/acceleration department.

More scope for power in a BA your kidding me right have a look in the states at what the guys do with the Windsors

Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 10:27 PM   #6
au-steve
fully *** turboooo

Quote:
More scope for power in a BA your kidding me right have a look in the states at what the guys do with the Windsors
im refering to I6's. I know Windsors are awsome, my brothers had 2 and he swears by em.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:44 PM   #7
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

i have my au2 ute, because i couldnt get financing for a brand new subaru impreza RS, and i couldnt justify the insurance for a skyline r33.

That being said i love my ute, and im happy with the looks, and it goes quite well now.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 10:45 PM   #8
EFFalcon
Last warning

well... AU's are cheaper then a lot of E-Series atm... LOL
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 10:48 PM   #9
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

hahaha John aint that the truth.. THe series1 AU's are very cheap cars to upgrade to

I own AU's cause I have to and I can purchase 2 AU2's or 3's to one BA XT

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 10:56 PM   #10
Ay-You-Steve

I was originally going to buy an EL Fairmont, then I found a couple of AU Monty's for the same price and less Ks. So I took two for test drives and I was hooked and brought the second one (Dynamic White), I like the 'feel' of the interior and the drive and with a boot spioler they look good, and I like the size, they feel like a big car and drive 'like a pair of slippers' (soft and smooth). Thats why i got an AU (monty). :hihi:
Ay-You-Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 10:58 PM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
well... AU's are cheaper then a lot of E-Series atm... LOL
Yep - there's a T3 TS50 for low $40Ks, and an EL-GT for $40k at gregory's Ford in canberra. I know what I'd rather buy - the T3!

Oh - I have an AU, cos I like fords and it was the most recent model I could afford (all 5 of them). I started with an AU1 XR8 manual, then went to an AU2 V8 auto Forte, then an AU1 XR6 VCT auto, then an AU2 Forte 6 cyl auto wagon and of course the AU1 XR8 auto. Still got the last 2.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 11:01 PM   #12
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I bought mine for the fact it was within the price range. I was also looking at EL XR's but the insurance was about $800+ more expensive than the AU.

I get shit for having a Ford - all my mates and g/f's family are lion lovers - but I love rubbing it in their face and for the fact that it shits my g/f's brothers. I've only ever had one holden and it was the worst ever made - a JB camira. I knew nothing of cars except i chose it over an XD....

The XR styling is liked more so than the base models. If I could get into a T series I would in a heartbeat. Upgrading to a BA looked appealing but the extra weight and lack of performance bits for the n/a 6 makes me want to wait a bit longer til I can go an xr6t or v8.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 11:16 PM   #13
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was looking at buying either a manual EL XR or an AU. But it was Adams Futura that got me hooked. Not only until i was looking at the cars, i realized the better features, such as brakes, steering, power, interior. I'm not that keen on the Series 1 base models. I tried so hard to find a AUII S, or SR with a manual, but ended up going for the AUIII Forte - auto, just because the manuals were so rare to come across.

I cope a bit of flack from guys and mates, because of the AU. But the transformation of my car (the wheels, lowering & exhaust note), has really showed the true colours and the potential of the AU. I get a fair few looks from Holden boys, and i too give them a few looks.

Every time i get in my car, I know i made the right decision.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:16 PM   #14
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Dont have an AU (YET). I like the look of them, and the fact that its the first model available with a LPG only engine makes it ever more appealing.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 11:17 PM   #15
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought mine brand new, as a work vehicle, and used it for that purpose.
I also wanted a good looking car and something that went well, had comfort, handled well etc, and it has served me well, and will serve me for many more years to come.
And because it was a tickford, and i wouldnt swap it for any FPV product, i love it, tis a beast..hehehe.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 11:19 PM   #16
The Mighty Red

I haven't had anyone sh#tcan my XR yet . I get the odd " nice car mate " and that sought of thing ,but get in a car convo at work and no one likes the non XR AU.
When i bought mine i was out checking the yards For A XR EF to AU within a certain price range , Any way saw mine drove it fell in love raced home grabbed the missus said come and check this out and the rest is history. He offered me $1200 for our ED so we sold it private for $2700.IMHO anyone who thinks the AU is ugly should clean the shit out of their eyes, VS commy now theirs an UGLY car
Old 01-02-2005, 11:23 PM   #17
au-steve
fully *** turboooo

hmmmm, i feel wierd for loving my car so much now. surely there has to be someone who likes AUs and didnt just come across one by chance or to save money?
Old 01-02-2005, 11:39 PM   #18
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

Quote:
Originally Posted by au-steve
hmmmm, i feel wierd for loving my car so much now. surely there has to be someone who likes AUs and didnt just come across one by chance or to save money?
I love the AU.
All of them, from base model up to the ghia. A nice set of wheels and a lowering job is all they need. I chose mine over the BA GT, it wasn't a case of saveing money, I just prefered the feel(responsive, lively) of it over the feel(numb, dull) of the BA.
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 11:43 PM   #19
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
I spent more to get the AU over the EL. I also liked the look of it too. The series 2 really had me hooked but I love the AU1 XR nontheless. Its def staying on over upgrading to a newer model.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 11:53 PM   #20
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

The AU wagon is a fine allround car.The boot is bigger than the commodore and it seems roomier inside.It can be used for work,holiday ,family and many other uses .
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2005, 12:04 AM   #21
The Mighty Red

As much as i love my AUXR i would swap it tommorow for a BA mkII XR6T If the missus would let me.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:19 AM   #22
XRQTR
TBA Customs

ye i bought my ute for work as well, i was only sposed to get a XL but thought wtf y not, i still remember the day i picked it up getting dropped off and seeing her sitting their in the dealers driveway, all shiny and new, winter white pursuit spoiler kit, minus the bar (never was a a fan).
made the first payment and off to work as a courier haha :evilsasmo
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2005, 12:30 AM   #23
Kermit

Love the AUXR. When I got mine, I didn't have any particular car in mind. Was looking at everything (except Holdens). My only rule was that it had to be a manual. When I saw my XR in the lot, I couldn't go past it. Had a few k's on it but I didn't care, I wanted it. I love it more each day, and the mods have ensured I don't need to upgrade for a long time.

To be honest, not a big fan of the standard AU front, I think the previous model was better imho.

Tod.

AUIII XR6 VCT - Venom Red

Modified JMM DEV1 VCT:- JMM Race headers, Redback cat back 2.5” exhaust, JMM hi flow cat, Modified airbox with pod filter & XR8 snorkel (JMM VCT Kit)
160rwkw

Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2005, 01:03 AM   #24
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by our_blue_xr6
.... VS commy now theirs an UGLY car
inside? Yes, I agree. it's a bit Gemini-ish. But outside - no way. The VS has the cleanest lines and looks great lowered with a set of rims It's a great looking car.

I defend my choice of car nearly every week - between the rice brigade and the sheep (Holden drivers) at work, Ii get hit from every quarter. But there is one bloike who is an out and out holden fan, who bags fords religiously, yet when I took him for a quick squirt in my XR8, he was very impressed. I don't think he'd ever buy one, but he doesn't bag out the XR any more, and in fact backs me up in arguments (discussions) I have with the ricer mob!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2005, 01:26 AM   #25
The Mighty Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCXR8
inside? Yes, I agree. it's a bit Gemini-ish. But outside - no way. The VS has the cleanest lines and looks great lowered with a set of rims It's a great looking car.

I defend my choice of car nearly every week - between the rice brigade and the sheep (Holden drivers) at work, Ii get hit from every quarter. But there is one bloike who is an out and out holden fan, who bags fords religiously, yet when I took him for a quick squirt in my XR8, he was very impressed. I don't think he'd ever buy one, but he doesn't bag out the XR any more, and in fact backs me up in arguments (discussions) I have with the ricer mob!

I think the back end of VS commy looks pretty ordinary, the tail lights IMO look shithouse. A dark coloured wagon with a nice set of wheels on the vs looks ok.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:34 AM   #26
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheahman
I honestly hated the look of the AU when I first saw it and I still do hate the look of a base model. The only AU I think looks good are the XRs and Ts. The front of the car is fine but its just the back where it went all wrong.

I too get crap for owning an AU, but since its an XR its not too bad and the majority of people dont mind them. But I bought mine not based entirely on looks but the fact its one of the best cars Ive ever driven, far better than any commodore etc.
Agreed. I hate/d the rear of them. Something just didn't look right there and it put me off. To be honest, I had been looking at VX's/VY's for weeks and came very close to buying a VY and then I said well I'll look around one last time and if I don't find something, I'll get the VY. Spent a whole day looking and my other half saw the AU and begged me to look at it. Reluctantly (and to shut him up lol) I went over, glimpsed it and took it for a drive and LOVED IT!!

I copped alot of s**t from our mates for buying the AU but after time they settled a bit. After a few mods/changes they're quite impressed now with it's looks and performance. They should give the AU a chance like I did and I'm sure they'd never look back

With 80,000k's on the clock - all the options I was looking for - a spoiler (which I insisted on to liven up the rear lol) and REGO - the price was within my budget. Actually it was $5000 under budget which was a bonus!
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2005, 04:22 AM   #27
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

I don't like the base model but I always like the XR and the TE's. I wasn't looking for a car but the gf and I walked into the car yard seen this sexy red XR 8 there looked in it under it then I was asked if we wanted to take it for a drive.
I couldn't resist the best part was this car yard was really busy so the guy said we could take it for a drive on our own. After giving it everything it had from the first set of traffic lights I knew I wanted, it needless to say I got it. :
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2005, 07:29 AM   #28
hambo_12

yeah I love my auii xr ute, love the shape, the feel, the lights ( :sm_headba )

Most of all I love how it is individual. Well, there are a few utes going around, but every man with a dog has a BA xr ute or similar. I want to stand out from the crowd so to speak...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2005, 09:45 AM   #29
au-steve
fully *** turboooo

Quote:
backs me up in arguments (discussions) I have with the ricer mob!
i think any self-respecting aussie should back you up! if i see a commie destroying a ricer on the road a wry smile comes across my face, until i hunt him down and beat him, then i just grin like an idiot.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:31 AM   #30
xceler8shun
Ford Fanatic

Towards the end of 2004 I was looking at an AU XR of any type as I just loved the shape and had the itch to upgrade from the 98 AU Forte.

I was about to purchase a 2001 AU1 XR6 Liquid Silver sedan which looked bloody awsome with 17" mags, exhaust, lowered and god knows what else when a 2001 AU2 XR8 Liquid Silver Ute came on the lot.

Well that was it. For an extra $5000, SS exhaust / extractors, 17" alloys, alloy sideskirts and nudge bar for the driving lights (damn kangaroos) and a more practical vehicle (just myself the gf and the dogs) the XR8 ute was the one for me.

I love the shape, the power, the interior, and blowing ricers away at the lights.
xceler8shun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post