Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 10-05-2005, 01:05 AM   #1
king_pin

Default Whats the word on...

Falken 225/35ZR18 (87W) ZE512 tyres???

I do not know much about tyres and would like some input.

I have been wheel shopping and think I have found a set of nice 18s that I will be ordering. I have been quoted with the above tyres and would like to know if they are any good.

The wheels I am 95% sure I will be getting are Mille Miglia T12s.

So then this will also mean that I will be looking to off load 16" zetec rims. So anyone interested in them please get back to me.

Last edited by king_pin; 10-05-2005 at 01:29 AM.
king_pin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2005, 02:14 AM   #2
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

man they look sweet!!!! where are you getting those rims from and how much with just the rims?? and how much with tyres??

Tom
chevaps is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2005, 01:48 PM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Those rims look absolutely gorgeous, very tough and sporty looking without being over the top. LOVE them.

Falkens are generally your "Rim shop" tyre, usually because they are cheap and keep the overall prices down. They're not a bad tyre, just not necessarily as good as you'd want to maximise the benefits of having 18's. Do some google searching, reviewing and of course keep watching here to see ppls opinions. FWD's are very tough on tyres and as such you need them to have a very good level of straight line grip but also some serious lateral grip on a car like the Focus. Be prepared to pay a little more. It's like lowering a car, you'll get lower springs, but without the upgraded shocks, you'll only have 2/3 of the performance you want.

Last edited by zetec; 10-05-2005 at 01:50 PM.
zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2005, 02:36 PM   #4
king_pin

I did do a bit of google research on them and they did not really get a bad rap.

So how would they compare to the stock Zetec tyres?

The wheels and tyre quote is expensive enough as it is at the moment. So if they are better than what I currently have then I will stick with them and upgrade tyres to something a lot better later on.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:52 PM   #5
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I have goodyear eagle f1 245x18 at the moment and they are the best tyre I have had by a long shot. My previous tyres were ventus k104 and before that dunlop sp9000. The goodyears are superior in cornering and wet and dry grip by far (don't see the traction control light as much as with the other tyres), down side is they are pricy but wear is on par with the others, if not better.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:26 PM   #6
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you're after cheaper tyres then the Sava Intensa is worth a look. Have got them in 195/50VR15 on the wife's Excel, and for $95 ea fitted they're a very good tyre. Steering response isn't quite as good as the old Dunlop Lemans LM-701's; but they're quieter and ride nicely. Decent amounts of grip in both the wet and dry too.

They're the only cheap tyre I've ever bought and liked. Probably worth a look as an interim tyre if you can't afford some good ones straight away.

Last edited by murcod; 10-05-2005 at 07:27 PM.
murcod is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2005, 09:21 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

GT Radial Tyres are what I have on the Focus now and I love them. Theyre 215/45 17's but i'm reasonably sure they do make an 18" tyre. I paid $180 each for them and they have a great tread and are a very good tyre.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:22 PM   #8
Mick K.

This month's Wheels has a performance tyre test - are they in there??

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2005, 06:33 PM   #9
Resty
Amon of Focus

them be sex
Resty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2005, 06:37 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Pretty sure the Wheels test was only for 235/45 size tyres and possibly 16's as well.I have the issue here, I'll dig it up and have a look tonight.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:41 PM   #11
king_pin

Okay, I bit the bullet and gave the go ahead to order the wheels.

They are not in Australia and I will have a 10 week wait until they arrive from Italy. So I still have plenty of time for a decision on which tyres to go for.

But in the mean time, here is a link of a nice VW Golf with them on.

http://www.autotuning.cz/index.php?p...&clanek_id=318
Old 11-05-2005, 10:53 PM   #12
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Mate your car is going to look absolutely STUNNING in those rims!!! Finally getting rid of the stockers!!!!
Old 13-05-2005, 12:35 AM   #13
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Try some Continentals Conti sport 2s... beaut stuff bit pricey tho
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2005, 02:16 PM   #14
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Why spend heaps on expensive tires unless you're racing the thing.

I bought my current tires as part of a wheels package knowing full well I may have had to replace the tires as they are not a premium tire, but I was suprised. The Nankang S18s are a great directional tire, they just don't let go of the road, in both the wet and dry, and they are not noisy. None of which can be said for my Goodyear Eagle F1s that came with my last set of rims.

The best part is the grand or so I save from not buying Michelin Pilot Precedas, which in my opinion are the best tire out there all round (and yeah, people will disagree with me but I just don't care), is a grand that can go into my fun car that I will be racing.

The bottom line: the top of the range expensive tire cannot do anything more than these Nankangs can in my, and most peoples, applications. I don't race my Focus but when I give it a spirited drive, I know the tires will be there for me. If I have to brake hard in an emergency, they won't slide. They also have a great rap around my work car circles for use with non race vehicles.

Oh, and on the rim topic, those wheels are just spectacular. Well done.

Tim

Last edited by Timmeh; 13-05-2005 at 11:19 PM.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2005, 09:06 PM   #15
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Nankangs from other people too.
Old 17-05-2005, 10:57 PM   #16
lincoln
Blinded

The difference in stopping between a Nankang and a Continental would be something like 1m in the dry and at least a car length in the wet. Every tyre test I've ever seen indicates such large differences between quality rubber and not so high quality rubber. A car length is the difference between hitting a pedestrian or hitting someone and not.

I'm of the opinion that you should spend the most you can on tyres. I just don't compromise on safety.

With an 18" wheelset you're running a much heavier rim and tyre, this puts greater strain on the suspension and reduces the effectiveness of grip and braking in a straight line. Lower sidewalls give you better... and that term is so vague... cornering grip, but can so easily be offset with a lack in compliancy. That is, you might have more grip, but hit a pothole and the car will jump or skip more than it would've with higher profile tyres.

Also, a low profile tyre needs to meet the same load rating as the OEM tyre you replaced. To meet this load rating the tyre has much more reinforcing (steel and kevlar belts) to ensure the tyre can take the same loads over a smaller surface area. This all adds weight.

So when you're running a compromised (and sorry, 18" rims are for show, not performance, IMHO) setup to the original set up, you need more assistance from your rubber to ensure you can maintain the same level of grip and braking performance as you had originally. The OEM tyres aren't anything to write home about, but tyres, combined with wheel weight and suspension, delivered a certain level of performance which you should be aiming for as a bare minimum with your new set up.

I'd be looking at something like Goodyear's Revspec, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, Yoko AVS Sport, Kumho Ecsta MX, Dunlop Direzza DZ101, Michelin Pilot Preceda or Bridgestone Potenza GIII over ZIEX or Nankangs to give you this equal or better level of performance.

I have not read or heard of one credible high opinion of the Falkens or Nankangs. I disagree that you don't feel this performance in anything other than race conditions. We're all have our opinions in the end, I'm just very much on the other side of the fence to much of what has been said thus far in this thread.
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2005, 11:27 PM   #17
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
I'd be looking at something like Goodyear's Revspec, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, Yoko AVS Sport, Kumho Ecsta MX, Dunlop Direzza DZ101, Michelin Pilot Preceda or Bridgestone Potenza GIII over ZIEX or Nankangs to give you this equal or better level of performance.
The Goodyear Revspecs did get a rather good review in the Wheels Tyre test this year however they were 235/45/R17 that they tested, not 18's. I imagine they'd still be pretty good though.
The Michelins are also apparently very good.
Old 17-05-2005, 11:57 PM   #18
king_pin

Yes, the 18s are for show, but I am not trying to build a race car here.

And I certainly will be unable to afford the best set of tyres available.

I mainly was asking how do the Falkens currently offered to me compare to the stock setup that I have currently.

If they are going to be definately less grippy then I will look at changing to something better.
Old 18-05-2005, 12:00 AM   #19
b2tf
not here much anymore

I remember some of the BA owners had Falkens on and said they were terrible in the wet, so that may be something to consider.
Id again recommend the GT Radials as they have a nice strong tread pattern and they are fantastic in the wet. Very reasonably priced too.
Old 18-05-2005, 12:03 AM   #20
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Oh, i have Falken Tyres... but in Ziex 512 - 195/45r16 - 84 V... must admit they are pretty good.... much better then the stocks that come on the Fiesta Zetec.... lower profile and reinforced side walls are great for the handling.... i think they are pretty good value for money, but then again i havent tried other tyres.... But i wouldnt exactly call them the best. The side wall on mine did wear from excessive hard cornering, and hence when i was driving in the wet... it became a little shocking.... but if you drive normal they are good

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2005, 12:36 AM   #21
lincoln
Blinded

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_pin
Yes, the 18s are for show, but I am not trying to build a race car here.

And I certainly will be unable to afford the best set of tyres available.

I mainly was asking how do the Falkens currently offered to me compare to the stock setup that I have currently.

If they are going to be definately less grippy then I will look at changing to something better.
If you were building a race car you wouldn't throw on 18s, simple really. So that's how I've directed my post. If you're going to race you'd be running R compounds, something like a Yoko A032R or Dunlop DJ01, which are street legal track tyres... next step is slicks after this. A ContiSportContact2, for example, is not a race tyre, just a high quality ultra high performance tyre for the road. I haven't suggested the boutique brands which cost a fortune in my list of tyres there. They will all be around $50 more than the ZIEX, a small price to pay for safety, IMO.

If you're tight on funds, I'd look at the Sumitomo HTRZ II. A middle of the road tyre that performs well in all conditions. I've driven a lot of miles on this tyre in a Subaru Liberty and admire them greatly. Top value too. If you're in Sydney, call Don Cornell Tyrepower in Bexley on 9502 4666 for these as they distribute these tyres and have the best price. Actually, make sure you call them for any of the tyres I've listed (except Kumho).
Old 18-05-2005, 12:39 AM   #22
lincoln
Blinded

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
The Goodyear Revspecs did get a rather good review in the Wheels Tyre test this year however they were 235/45/R17 that they tested, not 18's. I imagine they'd still be pretty good though.
The Michelins are also apparently very good.
Not to mention it's on a RWD car that weighs significantly more. It's hard to take too much from such a test. But they are a decent tyre at a decent price. Always have been.

A more relevant tyre test would be the EVO test using the Focus ST170 that I've got on my website: http://www.mymane.net/photos/EVOJuly02
Old 17-06-2005, 11:04 PM   #23
king_pin

I found a some pics of an ST170 with my soon to be rims!!!!!

http://www.ffst170.com/gallery.htm

also check out http://www.ffst170.com/throttle.htm for some before and after dyno with some throttle body, under drive pulley and cam pulley mods.
Old 18-06-2005, 12:46 AM   #24
lincoln
Blinded

Are you looking at doing those mods?
Old 18-06-2005, 12:49 AM   #25
MrQuan
Social Disaster

Not bad not bad. The Mille Miglia T12s look too much like bike spokes for my liking though.

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2005, 06:46 PM   #26
king_pin

I have been thinking about doing them. But I do realise the gains would be very different on a ST170 and a Zetec. And there has already been discussion about the ineffectiveness of a throttle body on a stock Zetec.

But they are the most common general mods that most Euro/US Focus owners perform.