Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Reduced Speed Tolerance Nets $8M windfall for QPS

Taken from the Courier Mail:

Quote:
GIVING motorists less leeway for speeding on Queensland roads has delivered an immediate windfall for police of close to $8 million.

In the first two weeks after police lowered the tolerance margin for speeding offences for the second time this year, detections soared 30 per cent compared with the same period last year.

The tolerance margin is the number of kilometres motorists are allowed to exceed the speed limit before being fined.

Police will not reveal what the margin is, but it is widely believed to be about 10 per cent above the speed limit.

When the margin was lowered by just 1km an hour in 60km/h zones in July, detections increased more than 20 per cent the next month.

Police then announced a "second adjustment" of tolerance margins would occur from September 20 to encourage people to obey the speed limit.

In the two weeks that followed, 53,816 motorists were caught - or 3844 a day.

That compared with the 41,383 speeding fines issued in the same period last year - or 2955 a day.

Based on the minimum speeding fine of $146 for travelling up to 13km/h over the limit, the two-week period generated at least $7.857 million for police, compared with $6.04 million at the same time last year.

Inspector Peter Flanders, from the Road Policing Command, said the lowering of tolerance margins would have played some part in the increase but the result could mostly be attributed to greater enforcement by police.

"There has been a very strong focus on traffic, probably significantly more than in the past," Insp Flanders said.

Despite the extra efforts of police, the number of fatalities recorded in the two-week period was one higher than the previous year - at 17 lives lost, up from 16.

Other offences detected by police also increased - with the number of people caught not wearing a seatbelt soaring 52 per cent to 862.

Drink-driving offences were up 5 per cent, from 1181 to 1242, drug-driving up 15 per cent (67 to 77) and mobile phone offences rose 32 per cent (841 to 1111).

However, Insp Flanders said police were "not about writing tickets but stopping crashes".

"What we want to change is the attitude to speed limits," he said.
"If the speed limit says 60 or 100 and you look down and your speedo is even 1km over that, then you're speeding."

Queensland's road toll stands at 229 lives, two more than at the same time last year.
So it's NOT working... right??

If it is it's clear who's the main beneficiary.

My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Reduced Speed Tolerance Nets $8M windfall for QPS

deaths is a part of it

what's the rate of crashes though?

up or down or the same?

also does Queensland Police get the money from fines?
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

oh so its working then? lol
soon to be rolled out nation wide in a country near you!
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would be expecting the tolerance to go down again very soon........... $$$$$$$$
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well i was driving my Aurion around SEQLD school holidays i was constantly overtaken by people doing at least 10 km h more that i was doing and faster and i had cruise set right on the limit.
Now maybe my speedo is out, it has the original tyres on it still and only 20000 km.
I seen a speed sign that lights up your speed i was dead on 78 in a 80 and the reading it gave me back was 72 km h. now are them radar signs correct ? i don't think so.
And i don't think any radar is spot on all the time and with such small margins over it's insane and just revenue the low life gov are after.
Every k over and Speed kills is the biggest load of political correct hog wash out.
It's stupidity that is the real killer.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think if the gov is caught up with the tolerance it should do something about it, like have radar lit speed signs everywhere so we can see if our speedo is out and all.
Them speed vans should show you your speed or what's the point if you have just passed over the limit and are still doing as such, did you know how dangerous speed is, you could be killed as every k over is a killer, you must understand that. so why don't they ?
The whole point is to slow you down is it not, for the safety concern, or why would the gov put the van there in the first place surely not to try to hide and just make money and in a place where there is no danger.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

it it was about safety, then the cameras and vans would be dayglow yellow and signed, not hidden in the bushes
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I don't care if they have the cameras, but stop saying they're for ANYTHING other than revenue raising...

I put it to them that it's more dangerous to travel 5km/h under than 1km/h over.
- Traffic congestion
- Frustrated motorists trying to do the limit
- Speedo out so could be closer to 10km/h under the limit etc.

A common-sense approach in my mind would be enforce the Keep Left rule, enforce a revised speed limit based on modern day vehicles and attitudes. By all mean still have the speed cameras but have an acceptable tolerance that is in line with international standards (10%-ish or whatever it may be) and STOP the BS KNEE-JERK REACTIONS that only serve the purpose of VOTES and REVENUE RAISING.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
westy73

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_F6 View Post
I don't care if they have the cameras, but stop saying they're for ANYTHING other than revenue raising...

I put it to them that it's more dangerous to travel 5km/h under than 1km/h over.
- Traffic congestion
- Frustrated motorists trying to do the limit
- Speedo out so could be closer to 10km/h under the limit etc.

A common-sense approach in my mind would be enforce the Keep Left rule, enforce a revised speed limit based on modern day vehicles and attitudes. By all mean still have the speed cameras but have an acceptable tolerance that is in line with international standards (10%-ish or whatever it may be) and STOP the BS KNEE-JERK REACTIONS that only serve the purpose of VOTES and REVENUE RAISING.

I will add to your list and maybe say

- Paying attention to the speedo constantly to make sure you are on the limit is more dangerous than actually doing a few clicks over and seeing your surroundings so you can avoid a potential hazard.
westy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Shame the heading wasnt :

"GIVING motorists less leeway for speeding on Queensland roads has delivered an immediate effect with a 20% decrease in incidents."

I don't think I have ever seen a headline that states this as a fact. Just on how much more money goes into the coffers.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2013, 05:31 AM   #11
hedgehobb

Same story, different day.

Firstly, to those who talk about speed calibration devices. Get a Satnav. They are like $100 and are accurate.

And secondly, this will never end. This portrait of wanting motorists to: "If the speed limit says 60 or 100 and you look down and your speedo is even 1km over that, then you're speeding."

Just stinks. The pions on the road grim to themselves as they drive slow purposefully in the right lane thinking to themselves: "I am saving your life by doing this you ingrates!"

The way I see it, it is going to be black boxes for every car. I mean, think about it. What is the bottom line? It's the road toll. And since technology is getting to a point where you can fit a GPS in a watch, why wouldn't it be mandatory for every car in Aus to have Big Brother tech just itching to send you a fine for rolling down a hill at 61km/h.

Maybe, just maybe, if the road toll is zero for at least 3 to 4 decades, just maybe they might raise the speed limit, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
hedgehobb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehobb View Post
Same story, different day.

Firstly, to those who talk about speed calibration devices. Get a Satnav. They are like $100 and are accurate.

I dunno about that advice mate...

I have several brands of GPS from TomTom to manufacturer supplied in dash systems.

All have issues from time to time, and some models just display the last acquisition speed until they get signal strength back....so if you were doing 80km/h 30 seconds ago and are now doing 100 it still shows 80.

I suggest you be wary of it and only use it as a guide.

A more apt approach would be to know your car and the rpm of the engine in relation to road speed.

Also the americans introduce deliberate errors into the GPS sattellite system to foil enemy guidance systems, or when they bomb someone.

Last edited by zilo; 26-10-2013 at 12:07 PM.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why not take that further and have black boxes fitted to new cars that detect the speed limit from gps. Then it could limit speed of car. No speeding fines and no killer k's over the limit.
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #14
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xauterus View Post
Why not take that further and have black boxes fitted to new cars that detect the speed limit from gps. Then it could limit speed of car. No speeding fines and no killer k's over the limit.
And no revenue for govco.
Guess they would then find some other BS way to reem us.
Old 26-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

They'd probably have a printer in the dash of new cars and a GPS black box, every time you go over the speed limit it'll show 777 and flash and make all sorts of noises and spit out speeding fines like coins out of a pokies machine.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #16
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Welcome to the Victorian style of the nanny state. Very easy money for Govco to be made from those menaces to society..... oops, I meant motorist.

Doing 63k's in a 60 zone really is the crime of the century and must be punished accordingly.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #17
1TUFFUTE
Banned

I got pulled over for apparently speeding last night. It was a 40klm work zone and i passed the police bike doing 55. Totally thought it was a 60 zone as the roadworks had been paused for months and where actually nowhere near the road. I actually got off because i spun him the story I'd turned from a side street and didnt pass any signs saying 40. obviously he didnt actually know if I'd actually passed any signs......so he breathalized me aswell. ******. He says.....'all right get out of here'.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #18
EvilChief
Boost Addict

8 million dollars in the pocket of our government, not in the hands of the citizens of this country. 8 million dollars less for Australians to feed their families, 8 million less for Australian to buy products in local supermarkets to encourage economics and support local businesses, 8 million dollars less out of the pension of the retired, 8 million less out of the pocket to service and repair their vehicles for safer Australian roads.

Decrease tolerance in terms of speed detection and you decrease the attention paid to the road. By the numbers the article itself portraits it is black and white that the campaign did not encourage safer driving on Australian roads, as obviously the number of fatalities did not drop equal to the percentage of extra revenue raised, did it?

On a personal note, in my line of work I get monitored by IVMS (In-Vehicle Monitoring System), that monitors my speed, harsh braking, acceleration, sharp turning, traction, 4wd engagement, journey times, etc, and our guidelines are a LOT stricter than the ones stipulated by police enforcement. However ever since the introduction of these systems I have found myself to be watching anything but the road more, speedo, signs on the road, the way i accelerate and stop, etc. In some terms it has improved my driving behavior, such as predictive driving, slowing down early and gradually, leaving more distance to vehicle in front etc, however it has also caused me to pay less attention to the road and more to the speedo and signs. I generally feel more exhausted these days after a drive as it takes a lot more concentration to not do the "wrong" thing. Did the very same trip with a vehicle and cruise control and I felt 10 times better after that trip.
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #19
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xauterus View Post
And the death toll will pretty much stay exactly the same as what it would be anyway.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #20
The FOMOCO

Why don't they just come clean and say the Gov told us to get more Revenue from the motorists do some good brain washing campains commercials on TV lower the tolerance on cameras get some green uniforms for the bushes So were just doing our job stop blaming us blame the Gov
Old 26-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #21
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Be very careful 1 kilometre over costs you$146 in Queensland . Not my fine its from Facebook.

Last edited by paule11; 22-04-2015 at 11:11 PM.
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Dear miscreant driver,

Your vehicle's speed through roadworks at three locations on the Logan motorway has been recorded at 22 kph over the 80 kph limit.

In accordance with current Transport department giudelines, you as the registered owner are liable for all penalties and demerit points
which at current stands at $1500 and 27 points, should you continue to drive after the below date of notification, you will receive a further
fine of $2,500 and mandatory confiscation of your vehicle for three months.

If you wish to challenge this ruling, your submission must be received within seven days of the issue date of this notice,
failure to do so is an admission of guilt and that you will bear full court costs for non-atendance for the hearing
held in your absence two days ago.

Regards,

A pr1ck, Qld Transport

Date, (two weeksago land)
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #23
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
Well i was driving my Aurion around SEQLD school holidays i was constantly overtaken by people doing at least 10 km h more that i was doing and faster and i had cruise set right on the limit.
Now maybe my speedo is out, it has the original tyres on it still and only 20000 km.
Castellan,

I found that the Aurions we have at work displayed probably the most inaccurate speedo readings of the bunch. All the work cars are fitted with a calibrated digital speedo and the Aurions regularly show 8-9 kph error, i.e: speedo reading 100kph and actual vehicle speed is 91-92kph. Other makes seem to be much closer to actual speeds but bare in mind that they all read slightly faster than actual speed. Most seem to read about 3-4kph high at 100kph.

Russ.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #24
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule11 View Post
Be very careful 1 kilometre over costs you$146 in Queensland . Not my fine its from Facebook.
That is utterly ridiculous. No way I'd accept it if it was mine.
Old 26-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #25
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
That is utterly ridiculous. No way I'd accept it if it was mine.
Out of CONTROL! How come the cops are allowed to roar off up the road to chase everyone but if we go 1k over we are apparently killing people?????
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #26
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could it be possible the officer has just written the wrong speed on the fine. If so then it could be fought.
Old 26-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #27
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
Could it be possible the officer has just written the wrong speed on the fine. If so then it could be fought.
You are quite within your legal rights to dispute any infringement notice or to defend the matter in a Court in due course.

Having regard to the information I can see written on that notice, I can only reiterate my earlier comment - 'no way I'd accept it if it were mine.'

Unfortunately due to professional reasons I'll have to refrain from making any further comment on this one so please don't think I've taken my bat and ball and gone home sulking!

Paule11 do you know the person to whom this was issued? If so it would be interesting to hear the outcome. Quite frankly I think Humphrey B Bear could successfully defend this one.

Russ.
Old 26-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #28
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I posted about how many motorists were caught speeding in first 24hours of Christmas holiday period, and got several " here we go again another thread about speed cameras" and got locked next day. It seems that speed cameras are a taboo subject on FF.
I have nothing against speed cameras ,only how they are used. If used as intended, in known black spots etc..FF members should be able to discuss speed cameras.
Its not as simple as "don't speed, won't be fined" There are lots of variable factors involved. Getting a ticket in the mail, two weeks later achieves nothing but revenue raising. You can go through a speed camera, get flashed and have an accident up the road. What has that achieved ??????? Didn't stop you from speeding. Did it??
Old 26-12-2013, 11:56 PM   #29
Spurious

Don't kid yourselves, it is about revenue. The government is addicted to the money & we as a society are stupid enough not to learn from our mistakes, & the gov' knows it!

Just look at the way the gov' goes about it. As stated before if it was about safety there would be cameras EVERYWHERE & they would be fluoro' yellow to stamp speed out for good. That's not the case though is it.

First they introduce cameras but we adjust our ways & compensate, thus the revenue slows. They start using mobile camera vans to add to the police presence to regain what revenue is lost, then we learn their habits & locations to compensate. Now they simply lower the limit to regain the revenue because they know as well as you or I that we ALL sit either on the limit or just above it.

All this done under the guise of "safety", it's the perfect crime & you/me/we CANNOT argue with that. As if that's not enough proof, if the pen pushers don't get the results they want, hell, they can just change the legislation!

So in future, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Do the limit or just under, if some knob wants to round you up & flip you the bird let them go. Right into the arms of the camera man!

I'd be interested to hear what would happen if absolutely no-one got booked & the gov' lost millions in potential revenue.
That's a headline I want to read!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2013, 02:21 AM   #30
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
I posted about how many motorists were caught speeding in first 24hours of Christmas holiday period, and got several " here we go again another thread about speed cameras" and got locked next day. It seems that speed cameras are a taboo subject on FF.
I have nothing against speed cameras ,only how they are used. If used as intended, in known black spots etc..FF members should be able to discuss speed cameras.
Its not as simple as "don't speed, won't be fined" There are lots of variable factors involved. Getting a ticket in the mail, two weeks later achieves nothing but revenue raising. You can go through a speed camera, get flashed and have an accident up the road. What has that achieved ??????? Didn't stop you from speeding. Did it??
I remember driving on European highways, and seeing signs that read "Speed camera in operation in this area". Only to be passed by a police car doing 60-70km/h over the limit, whilst everyone else did 40-50km/h over. Nobody died btw.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: