Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-01-2024, 03:48 PM   #5521
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Default Re: Geez! I hate that!

I remember 30 odd years ago going to buy a home stereo, I just walked in grabbed the one I liked that was beside the display one that I liked, I then walked to the salesman at the counter and he took my money and I left with my new stereo ( the old Doug and Barrie's in Freo ).

A few months back I went to the local Good Guys looking for a new Microwave, I found the one I wanted, but then had to wait 25 minutes for a salesman to be free, then he takes my details and tells me to go to the cashier, I stand in a queue for 10 minutes to be served, I pay and get a receipt, same sort of thing with cash and her trying to figure out the change that the till has already figured out for her, she then tells me to go to the back warehouse to pick up my Microwave, then I get there and there are the people I was waiting behind in the first queue, so another 25 minutes later I handed over my docket for the guy to disappear again into the warehouse, after 10 minutes he comes out with it and asks me to sign a form to acknowledge that I had received it.

This is supposed to be better?, I deal with 3 people and waste over an hour for a Microwave that I could of grabbed and paid for while I was inside back in the day, the mind boggles.

Last edited by prktkljokr; 17-01-2024 at 03:59 PM.
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2024, 06:49 PM   #5522
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
I remember 30 odd years ago going to buy a home stereo, I just walked in grabbed the one I liked that was beside the display one that I liked, I then walked to the salesman at the counter and he took my money and I left with my new stereo ( the old Doug and Barrie's in Freo ).

A few months back I went to the local Good Guys looking for a new Microwave, I found the one I wanted, but then had to wait 25 minutes for a salesman to be free, then he takes my details and tells me to go to the cashier, I stand in a queue for 10 minutes to be served, I pay and get a receipt, same sort of thing with cash and her trying to figure out the change that the till has already figured out for her, she then tells me to go to the back warehouse to pick up my Microwave, then I get there and there are the people I was waiting behind in the first queue, so another 25 minutes later I handed over my docket for the guy to disappear again into the warehouse, after 10 minutes he comes out with it and asks me to sign a form to acknowledge that I had received it.

This is supposed to be better?, I deal with 3 people and waste over an hour for a Microwave that I could of grabbed and paid for while I was inside back in the day, the mind boggles.
The Good Guys are probably the worst for that sort of thing.

Crap like is why I shop online now. No standing in cues, dealing with attitude from a cashier or salesman, or waiting to be served. Just click, click, click. Done.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2024, 06:58 PM   #5523
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post

Crap like is why I shop online now. No standing in cues, dealing with attitude from a cashier or salesman, or waiting to be served. Just click, click, click. Done.
You clearly do not have a long driveway....
It used to annoy me when you'd get an aus post notification saying there was no one home when i was. The slip would be in the letterbox, but that was 55m down the driveway of my old house. The slip would always say go to the post office after 4pm the next day so I'd always rock up at 4:30 the next day, wait in line as an old person would be paying their electricity bill in 5c coins, and the package would never be there. It wasnt just aus post, couriers would pull the same trick too. Just, they'd suppliment it with a pic of the letterbox, not the house as its to hard to walk up a driveway.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2024, 07:13 PM   #5524
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
It used to annoy me when you'd get an aus post notification saying there was no one home when i was. The slip would be in the letterbox, but that was 55m down the driveway of my old house. The slip would always say go to the post office after 4pm the next day so I'd always rock up at 4:30 the next day, wait in line as an old person would be paying their electricity bill in 5c coins, and the package would never be there. It wasnt just aus post, couriers would pull the same trick too. Just, they'd suppliment it with a pic of the letterbox, not the house as its to hard to walk up a driveway.
Yeah, there are downsides to having stuff delivered. For me, the above does happen, usually from a certain nationality who always seem to be running late so look to economize where possible. I would say that one in 20 or 25 deliveries ends up with me lining up at the post office. Good enough odds for me not bother shopping in stores.
Mustang GT

Old 17-01-2024, 07:14 PM   #5525
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I watched a Star Track pull up at my front gate 25 mtrs away,Driver got out and put a card in the mailbox.When I walked all the way to the mailbox the card said quite clearly,no-one at address.please pick up at Post office after 12.am
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2024, 07:25 PM   #5526
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:

The only problem to buying stuff online here in old wait awhile is that it will take 3 weeks or more to turn up, plus sometimes I am undecided to which one I like and pictures do nothing to solve it, so the shop and touch and feel is the best way.
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2024, 08:10 PM   #5527
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my daughter got so ****ed at The good gays one time.
Was in shopping for microwave, waited 20 minutes for service. went to sales counter and when marketing associate walked up she was finilising the sale and delivery on line. Then email for conversation with sales person? to head office
Old 17-01-2024, 08:15 PM   #5528
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
The only problem to buying stuff online here in old wait awhile is that it will take 3 weeks or more to turn up, plus sometimes I am undecided to which one I like and pictures do nothing to solve it, so the shop and touch and feel is the best way.
Trust me, I get that. Once you move out of the larger capital cities, the delivery time frames blow out considerably. Put it this way, I've had stuff delivered to me in rural Victoria from the USA quicker than Australia Post can do it.

I'm probably using your microwave situation wrongly, because for the most part, I would be buying that in a bricks and mortar store as well.

For me, the biggest change in my buying habits and methods changed with Covid. I actually liked going into to stores, the thrill of the chase finding that particular thing I would be looking for. I even liked grocery shopping! But once it became a health hazard (diabetic/autoimmune compromised), then not possible (multiple lockdowns), my buying habits changed and have not gone back as the things eased.

At my fingertips, I have thousands of stores to shop from, be that in Australia or all over the world. No one in town stocks my preferred detailing supplies. I just bought a new audio system, again, no one bothers to stock the premium stuff I was looking for.

I also order my groceries instead of enduring the visit to the supermarket, spending an hour walking the isles, standing in line with screaming children, cranky old people who pay their bill in $2.00 coins, the usual druggies loitering at the entrance.................its far more convenient for me to just sit in the comfort of my home and click, click, click.

Now, I should point out that while I have said all that, I actually work in a bricks and mortar retail environment. What's been drummed into me over the years is the customer is who pays your wage, and as such, we need to make their shopping experience the best it can be. Naturally, you wont please everyone, but the key is to make things relaxing and simple. We even bring your purchase to your car and load it up for you............does Bunning's do that?

Now, compare that to the Good Guys (and Harvey Norman if I'm being fair), where a simple purchase turns into a 3-stage process is not good enough. And did the Good Guys bring the product to your car rather than make you drive out back, ring the doorbell, stand like a lune for 15 minutes, then have the box dumped at your feet and told good luck. And yes, that happened to me a few times.

Again, as a bricks and mortar retailer, you just can't do that these days. You have to provide customers with a reason to stay in their business, not be driven to an online competitor by poor customer experience.

And I say all of that as someone who hates dealing with customers. But I know that in the same situation, I would want to be looked after, so I try to do the same despite not entirely enjoying it. As I said, the customer is paying my way.

Anyway, just some observations as a customer and a customer service provider.
Mustang GT

5 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2024, 09:08 PM   #5529
Itsme
Experienced Member

I'm old school and I prefer to purchase from stores and pay cash if the option is available, note, it is very hard to get scammed or hacked with this method, and you are assured of getting the goods.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2024, 07:54 AM   #5530
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I also order my groceries instead of enduring the visit to the supermarket, spending an hour walking the isles, standing in line with screaming children, cranky old people who pay their bill in $2.00 coins,

I am old.
I like to buy small items and pay with an assortment of coins of the exact cost amount.
The look of confusion on the face of the school leaver checkout Chick / Chuck, when confronted with coins and the task of counting them and calculating the total, gives me great enjoyment and amusement in my waning years.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2024, 10:29 AM   #5531
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It’s a far better approach than the people who haven’t even contemplated payment before the total is rang up.

Then, there’s the fumble for a purse or wallet, the slow and uncertain counting of money - or worse, repeated unsuccessful attempts at card or phone payment… Are they hoping to be told “Oh, everything is free today. Have a lovely afternoon.”?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2024, 11:12 AM   #5532
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
I am old.
I like to buy small items and pay with an assortment of coins of the exact cost amount.
The look of confusion on the face of the school leaver checkout Chick / Chuck, when confronted with coins and the task of counting them and calculating the total, gives me great enjoyment and amusement in my waning years.
Coins? What the heck are they? Only thing they're good for is for a scratchie or opening the back of the garage door remote. Hence, I only ever have one of them in my household these days.

I don't even have notes. Maybe a couple at the max in my note account for the rare occasion where eftpos is not accepted.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-01-2024, 03:08 PM   #5533
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have 2 containers in the house for emptying my pockets of cash.
Without coins it would take too long to fill, count and splurge.

If you haven't or don't do it, I recommend it - that shrapnel turns into 4 figures.
ford71V8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2024, 05:26 PM   #5534
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post

If you haven't or don't do it, I recommend it - that shrapnel turns into 4 figures.
Many years ago(after $1 but before $2 coins I had one of the big beer can money box things,over 3-4 years of dropping the change out of the pockets there was well,over $1000 in the can.A few years later I cut a slot in the top f a 200g coffee tin.Wouldvyou believe a 200 g tin holds $1500 of $2 coins
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2024, 05:28 PM   #5535
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:

Went thru similar with a 65” TV at the Good Guys at Highpoint West.
However in my case after finalising the deal I had to pick up the TV from their warehouse in Ravenhall… Bit of a hike, but I’m retired so who cares.
What amused me was I went to reception area at this massive warehouse and was asked “ pickup for Goodguys or JBHifi”?
I had no idea they are one and the same business!
Was also informed by the guy that opened the warehouse rollerdoor and wheeled the TV out on his trusty trolley that he wasn’t allowed to assist me in any way loading the TV into my vehicle… And to top it off, he also kindly informed me that TV warranty was void if I laid the box flat in my SUV (Ford Escape).
It wouldn’t fit vertically so only options were leaning at 45degrees or laying flat.
Thought stuff it.. Flat it is!
He then stamped my receipt “laid flat void”
Stuff you good guys!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2024, 06:34 PM   #5536
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Went thru similar with a 65” TV at the Good Guys at Highpoint West.
However in my case after finalising the deal I had to pick up the TV from their warehouse in Ravenhall… Bit of a hike, but I’m retired so who cares.
What amused me was I went to reception area at this massive warehouse and was asked “ pickup for Goodguys or JBHifi”?
I had no idea they are one and the same business!
Was also informed by the guy that opened the warehouse rollerdoor and wheeled the TV out on his trusty trolley that he wasn’t allowed to assist me in any way loading the TV into my vehicle… And to top it off, he also kindly informed me that TV warranty was void if I laid the box flat in my SUV (Ford Escape).
It wouldn’t fit vertically so only options were leaning at 45degrees or laying flat.
Thought stuff it.. Flat it is!
He then stamped my receipt “laid flat void”
Stuff you good guys!
That's a cue for paying them $200 for delivery.

The old man recently bought a new TV from Harvey Norman, they even loaded into his Ranger. Attempting to remove said TV for him, they had torn up the rubber door seals in the process. Not happy!
Mustang GT

Old 18-01-2024, 06:37 PM   #5537
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
It’s a far better approach than the people who haven’t even contemplated payment before the total is rang up.

Then, there’s the fumble for a purse or wallet, the slow and uncertain counting of money - or worse, repeated unsuccessful attempts at card or phone payment… Are they hoping to be told “Oh, everything is free today. Have a lovely afternoon.”?
OMG, how observant. Always gets me, that you can stand in line for 5 minutes and not think about the next step, as in payment. I'm hate wasting time, so I would have my card ready before the first item is scanned, I WANT OUT of there ASAP.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2024, 07:05 PM   #5538
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Yer nah no online shopping for me But for detailing products waxit etc that’s it nothing else.
I still like to touch feel and cross shop - shopping for me is a mission I know what I’m after and where, suss the items go to another shop and decide in moments pay and go job done.
See enough probs watching the countless online shopping from my 3 kids, oh that’s the same item, oh that looks wrong, oh that wrong size etcetc go through the hassles of sending back and sent the right item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2024, 12:15 AM   #5539
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
OMG, how observant. Always gets me, that you can stand in line for 5 minutes and not think about the next step, as in payment. I'm hate wasting time, so I would have my card ready before the first item is scanned, I WANT OUT of there ASAP.
Same as the people not ready for when the red light finally turns green.
Not too much to prepare for really is it.
ford71V8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2024, 10:54 AM   #5540
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:

Retailers tend not to give you change when you pay for the item in electrons to begin with

No need for a container in my place. It'd be emptier than a pauper's purse.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2024, 11:57 AM   #5541
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Same as the people not ready for when the red light finally turns green.
Not too much to prepare for really is it.
Depends on how deep into their phone they are....
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2024, 02:54 PM   #5542
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Same when you're in the q waiting to pay for petrol on cheap Tuesday.
Do you have a rewards card?
Oh yes, thanks, just got to find it.

Then you've fuelled up, paid, sitting in your car for the one in front to move.
Out she comes with about 5 items, have to put it on the back seat, got to put the handbag down, then rummage around for the keys, put the seat belt on as slow as possible,finally start the car, then look for the gear selector, find D check your mirrors and finally move.

Who's that rude bastard behind me honking his horn?
Me.
5 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2024, 07:11 PM   #5543
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

Geez I hate coming home from a few days away, only to discover a letter from the revenue collection service in the mailbox for an indiscretion last year.

The QLD Government must be short of a quid for the '32 Olympics because the base level fine for speedery has gone up in leaps and bounds since last time I was sprung many years ago.
Less than 11km/h over: 1 demerit pt & $309.

I get that it's a voluntary tax and that I am a reckless hoon, incapable of human emotions or the simple brain functions associated with living in modern society. But Jesus wept, talk about executing the cow that laid the golden cash....

Cheers, Tony
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2024, 07:39 PM   #5544
Kicking back

Nrma is way cheaper then uber. Well, $120 per year membership anyways.

Anyhows, seen the temp guage go a tad over half and smelt it so i called it in. Got a free ride in a tow truck. It was just the top rad hose and i had a spare so once the thing cooled off after the ride back i just swapped it out and bled the thing which was no dramas. On test driving i went past the mechanic who did my rad a few weeks ago, not to have a go but just for a laugh. He was a bit surprised when i showed him the split hose, he said he checked the hoses and they all looked pretty new. They are/were. Dunno if gates dont make rad hoses like they used to, but this is the 3rd top rad hose ive done in not a huge legnth of time and each failed in a different manor. Yes the cooling system has been preasure tested and such. The car runs at just about ⅓ on the guage all day long on hot days.
Old 19-01-2024, 10:23 PM   #5545
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To follow up on my downlight flooding. I got the evap guy out to confirm nothing wrong with that as suspected but even he checked everything out and nothing looks wrong with the roof.

Gutters clean, no cracked or chipped tiles, the bedding and pointing have been done on that side so on face value that only leaves gutter overflow.

But that doesn't make any sense since the other side of the house which has ****ed water inside with much less water but not a drop this time and that bedroom has no pergola over it.

****en hate it because it makes no logical sense

I'm getting the roof people out anyway because I have leak near the front door but the pointing and bedding is shit there so that makes some sort of sense!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2024, 12:04 AM   #5546
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
To follow up on my downlight flooding. I got the evap guy out to confirm nothing wrong with that as suspected but even he checked everything out and nothing looks wrong with the roof.

Gutters clean, no cracked or chipped tiles, the bedding and pointing have been done on that side so on face value that only leaves gutter overflow.

But that doesn't make any sense since the other side of the house which has ****ed water inside with much less water but not a drop this time and that bedroom has no pergola over it.

****en hate it because it makes no logical sense

I'm getting the roof people out anyway because I have leak near the front door but the pointing and bedding is shit there so that makes some sort of sense!
Water travels. If theres a drip in one place, that does not mean it was coming from above that. Water can run along, absorb or do other water things. It can be somewhat difficult to work out. So that dripping downlight, im going to say the ingress was not above that.

One commercial building i worked in, it was only 6 storeys. It was a heritage thing. There was a roof leak on a weekend. Level 5 (ground is a level) had about 1m² of water damage. Level 4, about 4m² water damage. So ground floor was absolutely decimated in 1 area. Water travels more then a sex tourist.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2024, 12:36 PM   #5547
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=.:4:.;6868161]Water travels. If theres a drip in one place, that does not mean it was coming from above that. Water can run along, absorb or do other water things. It can be somewhat difficult to work out. So that dripping downlight, im going to say the ingress was not above that.

People tend to over simplify water, ceiling damage THERE, water must be leaking THERE.
Reminds me of a customer sprinkler system, a pop up had a slow leak leaving a boggy patch in the lawn. Tell them they have a weeping solenoid valve that needs replacing. They were adamant that only the sprinkler was leaking, so that needed replacing :/

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 20-01-2024, 01:17 PM   #5548
roKWiz
Cabover nut

If you ever lived on a boat, you soon learn about leaks both from above and below.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2024, 10:25 PM   #5549
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil
They were adamant that only the sprinkler was leaking, so that needed replacing :/
Like my plumber mate who took a call from a Subcontinental gentleman. He’d backed over his water meter (actually, he might have even thrown his wife or daughter under the bus). But anyway, mate asks “Is it leaking at the meter inlet or outlet side?”…

Gentleman affirms, the outlet side. Righto, that’s a plumber’s job. Over he drives. Gets there and water is gushing from the meter inlet. “You need to call Sydney Water, mate. It’s the inlet side.”

Subcontinental Gentleman exclaims, what do you mean? It has to be the outlet; water is gushing out everywhere!
Old 22-01-2024, 12:22 AM   #5550
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Went to put the ute away late tonight after mowing my front lawn (well, part of it - too hot for the whole lot) and no parkers, taillights, main beams or dash lights. Guess I know one of my jobs for tomorrow…
4 users like this post: