Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-07-2022, 02:16 PM   #1051
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: New Ranger teaser vidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
I don't agree it would be a turn off. Many other manufacturers have gone this way. It really cleans up the console area.

Getting used to it takes about 3 drives. It's a non issue.
Customer clinics said otherwise. Most didn't like it. Hence why it got binned.

Isn't that what you want manufacturers to do, to actually listen to what the customers want?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2022, 02:38 PM   #1052
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Thought the same, then I realised while it's 50% bigger (3L vs 2L) it's only 16% more powerful and 20% more torque...personally I think it has a lot more to give with some mods (say 200+kW/650-700Nm)....and if anything it probably shows how good the 2L is, being a newer design.

Mind you, I'll take that smoothness and more relaxed feel anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini
The difference is 500NM vs 600NM - both lots - and delivered through the same 10 speed

1.5 sec is a fair bit though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Maybe if we can get a side by side drag it will be easier to see the actual distance difference.
Guess I expected more for a V6. It wouldn't be all that noticable. Heck, if we go back, our Falcon LPG utes were faster (not including the EcoLPi which is much faster!).

Sure, in a drag race, you'd notice it but I honestly thought we'd be in the 6's with the V6. Wonder what the Raptor will reel off. Sure, they're utes and 4x4 but 8.5+ seconds and probably slower still in the heavier Everest isn't going to make the drive very exciting at all.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-07-2022, 02:46 PM   #1053
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Customer clinics said otherwise. Most didn't like it. Hence why it got binned.

Isn't that what you want manufacturers to do, to actually listen to what the customers want?
Not always. Change is often not accepted straight away. There are many instances in history where advancement is not accepted at first but then nobody wants to go back once it becomes the norm.

Otherwise you end up building dinosaurs like falcon and commodore to an ever shrinking market.
Old 20-07-2022, 03:11 PM   #1054
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Not always. Change is often not accepted straight away. There are many instances in history where advancement is not accepted at first but then nobody wants to go back once it becomes the norm.

Otherwise you end up building dinosaurs like falcon and commodore to an ever shrinking market.
Exactly! By that logic, I'm surprised Ford offered Sync 4 at all and didn't just provide a screen like the old BA days and have buttons for everything. Everyone says they want more and more buttons in cars.
Old 20-07-2022, 03:30 PM   #1055
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you will notice the extra 30kw and 100nm. Even with the extra 100kgs of mass.

In 2021 when Prados were upgraded by 13kw and 50nm I noticed the first time I drove one of the upgraded models. I didn’t even know they were upgraded, but after a 10 minute drive it felt like it was struggling less than usual so I looked it up and found out it had the higher engine output.

The Everest is quite heavy. That might hide the extra power and torque.
Although the Everest seems like it has put on little weight since the last generation so the new ones will probably feel more peppy.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2022, 03:40 PM   #1056
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Maybe if we can get a side by side drag it will be easier to see the actual distance difference.
That would be the way, i'm sure there's a math equation, who can be arsed but 1.5 secs would be quite a few car lengths
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2022, 03:48 PM   #1057
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Guess I expected more for a V6. It wouldn't be all that noticable. Heck, if we go back, our Falcon LPG utes were faster (not including the EcoLPi which is much faster!).

Sure, in a drag race, you'd notice it but I honestly thought we'd be in the 6's with the V6. Wonder what the Raptor will reel off. Sure, they're utes and 4x4 but 8.5+ seconds and probably slower still in the heavier Everest isn't going to make the drive very exciting at all.
6's? high expectations much?

I can assure you these things will be leaving everyone at the Traffic lights (they already do with the tradies)
Old 20-07-2022, 03:55 PM   #1058
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
6's? high expectations much?

I can assure you these things will be leaving everyone at the Traffic lights (they already do with the tradies)
I guess. Given the F150/Silverado and similar are pulling 5's these days, I figured the smaller Ranger size utes would target high 6's with a V6. Like I said, the EcoLpi utes of years gone by were in the 6's/low 7's a decade ago.

Guess the market has changed and 8.5 seconds 0-100 and a 60-110 time in the 6's is also within expectations.

They only leave people at the lights that didn't think they'd even try to leave anyone behind. They are SO SLOW! We were driving back from a car meet and one guy tried to race a mate of mine in his EVO. We just laughed so hard that the Ranger guy thought it was a race!
Old 20-07-2022, 04:01 PM   #1059
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

5's?
The quickest dual-cab you can buy
Powered by a 6.2-litre naturally-aspirated EcoTec V8, the 1500 sends 313kW and 624Nm to all four wheels. the Silverado cracked 100km/h from a standstill in 6.4 seconds.
https://www.whichcar.com.au/features...ormance-tested

much bigger car yes but thats a much bigger engine much bigger fuel bill and a whole lot more noise & fuss in doing it

how American...
Old 20-07-2022, 04:12 PM   #1060
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
5's?
Powered by a 6.2-litre naturally-aspirated EcoTec V8, the 1500 sends 313kW and 624Nm to all four wheels. the Silverado cracked 100km/h from a standstill in 6.4 seconds.

much bigger car yes but thats a much bigger engine much bigger fuel bill and a whole lot more noise & fuss in doing it

how American...
Could swear I read the Silverado stuff to be in the 5's.

Found it:

https://www.exhaustnotes.com.au/2020...71-car-review/

"Despite its size and weight, it can accelerate from 0-100km/h in a very respectable time of around 5.5 seconds."

I love American. Thats why I have a Mustang.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2022, 04:21 PM   #1061
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
5's?

how American...
Again with the complaints about fuel costs, if you're buying a ute that costs circa $150,000 with an unleaded 6.2L V8 under the bonnet, you can afford what ever fuel it uses regardless how much fuel is worth.

There's no doubt about it, Americans know how to make utes, hands down the best utes money can buy, you can fit 5 Franco's in it comfortably and it still hauls ***
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2022, 04:31 PM   #1062
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

Yeah the rotary dial is just such a huge advancement in technology

If most of the potential buyers hate it, then just forcing it through is a sure way to lose sales. There is simply nothing to gain by using it. A slight increase of space around the console? Who cares, that area is wasted space anyway.

If you truly wanted to increase the space, you'd go even further back in time and use a column shifter. I wonder how well that would go down. Maybe wheel out the Chrysler push button gear shift buttons on the dash
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2022, 05:04 PM   #1063
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Again with the complaints about fuel costs, if you're buying a ute that costs circa $150,000 with an unleaded 6.2L V8 under the bonnet, you can afford what ever fuel it uses regardless how much fuel is worth.

There's no doubt about it, Americans know how to make utes, hands down the best utes money can buy, you can fit 5 Franco's in it comfortably and it still hauls ***
100% just fueling my American comment humor
Old 20-07-2022, 05:26 PM   #1064
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The V6 will be better for towing than the 2l. Less stress on the engine.
Old 20-07-2022, 05:57 PM   #1065
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:

I think the biggest difference between the 2.0 and 3.0 will be refinement. We have a Bi-Turbo Ranger at the moment, it's good engine but you certainly know it's working hard. If it's anything like the 2.7 V6 in the Territory, the 3.0's refinement will be worth it even if it's not all that quicker.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2022, 06:00 PM   #1066
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Have to say, the rotary dial in our XE has been really nice to use. Compared to a E-Shifter, at least the rotary dial has a defined position for each selection.

Having said that, just like we got accustomed to the rotary shifter, I'm sure the same will happen with the E-Shifter.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2022, 06:18 PM   #1067
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
After driving cars with both I think dial shifter is the way to go. I hate stick shifters that always return to the middle. First time I used one I put it into park while trying to do a 3 point turn.
Wifey's Sorento has the rotary dial shifter (N in the Middle, D to the right, R to the left, P as a button in the centre of the dial) and I love it.. Didnt know if I liked it when it was delivered, but it works great in practice....

Looking forward to sussing out the Wiltracks one when I finally get my drive.. Fingers crossed I like it... Its not enough to make not want to buy the car, but would make my life easier if it where very user friendly....

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2022, 06:20 PM   #1068
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Looks like they only offer the 2.0L single turbo engine with the 4x2 single cab - how does the 125KW/405NM compare to the 2.2L that the PX had?

EDIT: Seems 4x4 single cab cab chassis has 2.0L bi-turbo option.

DFB - one of these on the shopping list?
I'm annoyed that they have apparently deleted the low ride 4X2 Single Cab Chassis. NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO LOOK LIKE BOB THE BUILDER FORD!

Ok, with that off my chest, reading the specs is interesting.

PX MK II XL C/C 4x2 2.2 -

118 kW @ 3200rpm
385 Nm @ 1600rpm
Kerb Weight: 1666 kg

New Gen XL C/C 4x2 2.0 -

125 kW @ 3500rpm
405 Nm @ 1750rpm
Kerb Weight: 1789kg

New Gen XL C/C 4x4 2.0TT -
154 kW @ 3750rpm
500 Nm @ 1750rpm
Kerb Weight: 1903kg

So while power and torque are up, it's only compensating for the new model being a fat bastard. And that's before adding a tray.

If I'm forced to have the high ride suspension, then I think I would just go for the 4x4 so that I can get the 2.0TT engine and 10-speed. But then I'm faced with the prospect of a $50,000 single cab work car. Not a spend I can really justify on a car that is meant to earn me money, not cost me money. And people wonder why Toyota sell so many 4x2 Hilux's each month.

Sorry, I really like the new Ranger, its the best in class as it has been for a long time now. I know Ford have access to the things I'm asking for, they just choose to ignore the little guy.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2022, 06:40 PM   #1069
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I'm annoyed that they have apparently deleted the low ride 4X2 Single Cab Chassis. NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO LOOK LIKE BOB THE BUILDER FORD!

Ok, with that off my chest, reading the specs is interesting.

PX MK II XL C/C 4x2 2.2 -

118 kW @ 3200rpm
385 Nm @ 1600rpm
Kerb Weight: 1666 kg

New Gen XL C/C 4x2 2.0 -

125 kW @ 3500rpm
405 Nm @ 1750rpm
Kerb Weight: 1789kg

New Gen XL C/C 4x4 2.0TT -
154 kW @ 3750rpm
500 Nm @ 1750rpm
Kerb Weight: 1903kg

So while power and torque are up, it's only compensating for the new model being a fat bastard. And that's before adding a tray.

If I'm forced to have the high ride suspension, then I think I would just go for the 4x4 so that I can get the 2.0TT engine and 10-speed. But then I'm faced with the prospect of a $50,000 single cab work car. Not a spend I can really justify on a car that is meant to earn me money, not cost me money. And people wonder why Toyota sell so many 4x2 Hilux's each month.

Sorry, I really like the new Ranger, its the best in class as it has been for a long time now. I know Ford have access to the things I'm asking for, they just choose to ignore the little guy.
The devils in the details - Ranger joins the fat bastard club, I've been a member for a long time

Have you looked at other options on the market, like our Chinese friends, LDV T60 cab chassis or Deliver 9 cab chassis? Or gonna be a case of stretch the PX out a bit longer until someone else steps up their game in the segment at a reasonable price?
Old 20-07-2022, 07:16 PM   #1070
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

rotary dial is so last year
Genesis orb is where it's at nowadays

I think we past the point of engineering "A to B" as a primary consumer need decades ago...

383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2022, 07:17 PM   #1071
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
The devils in the details - Ranger joins the fat bastard club, I've been a member for a long time

Have you looked at other options on the market, like our Chinese friends, LDV T60 cab chassis or Deliver 9 cab chassis? Or gonna be a case of stretch the PX out a bit longer until someone else steps up their game in the segment at a reasonable price?
I'm not in a hurry to replace my current workhorse, while its 6 years old, it only has just on 31,000 km on the clock.

I would not be caught dead in a no-name Chinese vehicle, I'd rather pay the $50,000 for a Ranger. I pride myself in being professional in how I work and how my business is presented. A Ute is a tool of trade just as much as the actual tools I put in it. Turning up at a job in a cheap and nasty LDV is not how I want to look. It would be like a builder turning up to do work with a Rockwell cordless drill in one hand and a Craftright hammer in the other. Do you take that person seriously and have confidence in their ability? Or do you respect a tradesman who values the quality tools he chooses for his profession?

I guess that leads me back to my conundrum. The Ranger is the Milwaukee or Makita of Utes at the moment. I guess going by my words above, the Ranger is my only choice, in which case, I would rather wait another 12months and see what the situation is then.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2022, 07:20 PM   #1072
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I'm not in a hurry to replace my current workhorse, while its 6 years old, it only has just on 31,000 km on the clock.

I would not be caught dead in a no-name Chinese vehicle, I'd rather pay the $50,000 for a Ranger. I pride myself in being professional in how I work and how my business is presented. A Ute is a tool of trade just as much as the actual tools I put in it. Turning up at a job in a cheap and nasty LDV is not how I want to look. It would be like a builder turning up to do work with a Rockwell cordless drill in one hand and a Craftright hammer in the other. Do you take that person seriously and have confidence in their ability? Or do you respect a tradesman who values the quality tools he chooses for his profession?

I guess that leads me back to my conundrum. The Ranger is the Milwaukee or Makita of Utes at the moment. I guess going by my words above, the Ranger is my only choice, in which case, I would rather wait another 12months and see what the situation is then.
The irony is like last week we had a tradie rock up in an LDV T60 and thats the first thing I thought, but he does very good quality work

I know what you mean though, thats why I never had company insignia on any of my ****box fleet, so I didn't give off the wrong impression and I could still drive like a knob without my work phone number getting calls for upsetting people
2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2022, 07:41 PM   #1073
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Yeah the rotary dial is just such a huge advancement in technology

If most of the potential buyers hate it, then just forcing it through is a sure way to lose sales. There is simply nothing to gain by using it. A slight increase of space around the console? Who cares, that area is wasted space anyway.

If you truly wanted to increase the space, you'd go even further back in time and use a column shifter. I wonder how well that would go down. Maybe wheel out the Chrysler push button gear shift buttons on the dash
The rotary shifters not that bad however when Ford decided to drop the paddle shifters on the Escape last year meaning you had no way of manually changing gears then it is a rubbish method...
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2022, 07:54 PM   #1074
jgmdat

Quote:

New Ranger is the Hilti of Utes.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2022, 09:03 PM   #1075
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
I think the biggest difference between the 2.0 and 3.0 will be refinement. We have a Bi-Turbo Ranger at the moment, it's good engine but you certainly know it's working hard. If it's anything like the 2.7 V6 in the Territory, the 3.0's refinement will be worth it even if it's not all that quicker.
I guess we'll know more once more tests come out there.
Old 20-07-2022, 09:08 PM   #1076
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
I guess. Given the F150/Silverado and similar are pulling 5's these days, I figured the smaller Ranger size utes would target high 6's with a V6. Like I said, the EcoLpi utes of years gone by were in the 6's/low 7's a decade ago.

Guess the market has changed and 8.5 seconds 0-100 and a 60-110 time in the 6's is also within expectations.

They only leave people at the lights that didn't think they'd even try to leave anyone behind. They are SO SLOW! We were driving back from a car meet and one guy tried to race a mate of mine in his EVO. We just laughed so hard that the Ranger guy thought it was a race!
How fast is the Ecolpi with half a tonne in the back? The Ranger is up around 2.2T when empty. What was the Falcon? 1.7-1.8T?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2022, 09:17 PM   #1077
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

EcoLPI also has 400nm+ torque and just under 200KW so it wasn't like it was a slouch either given a tray back Falcon ute probably only weighs 1700kg assuming alloy tray, also rides and steers a hell of a lot better than the Thailand specials to boot.

Makes you wonder if they had the 2.7L Territory diesel in the Falcon ute if it would have sold better towards the end.
4 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2022, 10:19 PM   #1078
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
EcoLPI also has 400nm+ torque and just under 200KW so it wasn't like it was a slouch either given a tray back Falcon ute probably only weighs 1700kg assuming alloy tray, also rides and steers a hell of a lot better than the Thailand specials to boot.

Makes you wonder if they had the 2.7L Territory diesel in the Falcon ute if it would have sold better towards the end.
Yes, this is a position I have wondered about, dividing between Eco LPI (too long),
2.0 Ecoboost (against Mondeo?) and 2.7 V6 diesel which transformed Territory…

Imagine V6 diesel in Ute and Stationwagon right when diesel Utes were taking off…
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2022, 10:28 PM   #1079
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Makes you wonder given the box is now electronically controlled why they just didn't use a rotary dial shifter like the SA Focus has.
the very first protos we built had exactly this - it was quickly determined it was ****, and replaced with the fore/aft one you see today
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2022, 10:48 PM   #1080
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well, this is very disappointing. 0-100 between the V6 and the bi-turbo 4 is less than 1.5 seconds difference and 60-110 is about half a second difference. That's really disappointing from a much bigger engine.

https://youtu.be/ETE-NWnOGKw

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
A lot of people struggle to accept the fact that 2L BiTurbo is good.

The updates made in the Next Gen have made a huge difference to how it drives.
2 users like this post: