Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-03-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

Location: In the garage - waiting for the car to build itself!!
Default Considering XR5 - Thoughts

Hi guys,

I've posted a thread in the pub a while back about changing my car over for a big v8, luxury cruiser etc. But, with a serious back injury a few weeks ago, seating performance has now very high on my agenda. And, a good friend of mine has an XR5T with the leather recaro's that 'felt' good. I'm considering an LV XR5T, so couple of things:

1. Those of you that are tall (I'm 6'6"), do you fit comfortably in the focus - with or without a sunroof?
2. How good are the seats?
3. Those of you coming out of bigger cars, I have a choice of G6ET of XR5T - what would you do now having owned an XR5.
4. Lastly, I'm currently driving a Liberty GT-B manual - should I just keep it if I compared it to a Focus XR5?

Thanks for your thoughts.

AllCoupedUp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
66 STANG

I'm 6'4" and fit easily in the XR5 seats (standard cloth with no sunroof). You can adjust the seat base up and down heaps, along with the steering wheel in/out and up/down heaps. As it turns out, I think the seat still has 1 or 2 settings to slide back yet. I have around 50 - 60mm clear headroom as I sit in it. The exterior roofline of the Focus is actually higher than my Falcons (BA, EB and XY)
66 STANG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
jjw
powered by Ford

XR5 is a nice car, but (& is not going to be the popular view here) IMHO Liberty GT>XR5 and G6ET > than both put together.
jjw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In our family it's the better half with joint problems and so even though she can sit comfortably in the Focus she just can't get in and out of it. She got herself a Renault Scenic just so she can get in and out unaided. Maybe you should look at a small people mover if the back is really bad.
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11252574

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
KJGH
G6E Driver

1. The seats are comfortable. I'm over 6ft and fit fine in one without a sunroof. The seat is very adjustable.

2. They are good and designed for the job. Like More Revs, I imagine that getting in and out of the seats the only problem with someone who has a back injury but if you had no problems, power to you. Put it this way, I wouldn't get one if I had a back injury.

3. I've gone from Falcon to Focus to Falcon. I quite the like the G6E and have a preference for comfort these days so I sold the XR5 for one. I would get an XR5 again if I wanted a hatchback and would probably go cloth next time.

4. That is up to you. It depends what you want. Are you happy with the Subaru and do you find the seats good for your back?
Old 16-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #7
want-a-XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i find dad's G6E to have the most comfortable seats around!!!!! i'd go the G6E over the xr5
want-a-XY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just ordered an XR5 Turbo and I was really supprised at how roomy it was. I'm 6'8" and I fit in there easily with more headroom than I had in my BA XR6. The seats are really supportive and hold you in place so well. Like KJGH said the seats have heaps of adjustment so you can find your perfect driving position. Your best bet would be to test drive the XR5 and see how you go. After my test drive I knew straight away I wanted one. Now I just cant wait till delivery. :
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCoupedUp
Hi guys,

I've posted a thread in the pub a while back about changing my car over for a big v8, luxury cruiser etc. But, with a serious back injury a few weeks ago, seating performance has now very high on my agenda. And, a good friend of mine has an XR5T with the leather recaro's that 'felt' good. I'm considering an LV XR5T, so couple of things:

1. Those of you that are tall (I'm 6'6"), do you fit comfortably in the focus - with or without a sunroof?
2. How good are the seats?
3. Those of you coming out of bigger cars, I have a choice of G6ET of XR5T - what would you do now having owned an XR5.
4. Lastly, I'm currently driving a Liberty GT-B manual - should I just keep it if I compared it to a Focus XR5?

Thanks for your thoughts.
1. You'll be fine, but I noticed sitting in one that the people in the back will not be once that seat starts to go back (the Mondeo XR5 was a much better car in terms of this).

2. The seats are awesome and the worth buying the car. Best seats for one who wants a sporty car.

3&4. Drive the G6ET and the XR5T and make your choice. But if your there try the Mondeo XR5T it is worth the consideration.
Old 17-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #10
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

Location: In the garage - waiting for the car to build itself!!

Thanks for your thoughts guys - I've been told that the seats are really good for people with the backs, but good point, you've gotta get in first!!! haha!!! I'll have to test drive one to see.

Cheers
AllCoupedUp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #11
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only thing to watch out for are broken seat welds. These things go from time to time and it requires a new seat base. Seats are comfy, but I didn't like them as much as other cars I've had. The Mondeo seats while not as supportive are quite nice.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post