Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-02-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

Default Whining from behind dash

Hi guys,

Now that my girlfriend has got her licence, she has started driving my car a little (for those that dont know, i lost my licence 11 months ago, so the car hasnt had much use since) and i have noticed that it makes a whining noise from behind the dash.

It is only there when the engine is on and it rises and falls in pitch if you rev the engine. It is not the stereo, because it does it if the stereo if on or off. It doesnt seem to be as bad when the car is in R or D and in motion, but that could be because of road noise.

I cant even begin to think what it is. It wasnt there when it was driven frequently, and i dont remember it being there when i started and idled the car every week or so since i have lost my licence. Only recently. I originally thought it must be that the gearbox or TC had no oil at the top or something, but it is still there after a drive, so i dont think it is that. The gearbox was serviced at 100K KMs, which is 11K KMs and about 18 months ago.

Any ideas?? :|

Hers: 2006 BF Super Pursuit in Vixen
kryzak260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it could be the stereo... a bad earthing issue can cause speakers to make a so called whine when on or off.

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon_AU
it could be the stereo... a bad earthing issue can cause speakers to make a so called whine when on or off.
the whining is coming from behind and under the headunit area. It is not coming from the speakers at all.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Just a guess , sounds like maybe 1 of the small coloured heater control hoses has come loose from its connection behind the centre face panel / that would explain the noise coming from around behind the head unit ?? . Might be worth checking. cheers.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2007, 09:53 PM   #5
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree if it is coming from behind the dash it will be a vacuum line - there isn't much else back there that would whine with engine speed
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2007, 10:00 PM   #6
Chippar
The Ancient Warrior

Just a thought. You haven't got your head under the dash and moaning with fear, while your GF is driving the car have you?
Chippar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 02:07 AM   #7
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippitydip
Just a thought. You haven't got your head under the dash and moaning with fear, while your GF is driving the car have you?
lol, maybe the noise is comming from my stomach :|

Nah, i thought it could be my heater or something, but that is all in the passenger footwell. Because i have a fairlane, it has climate control, so it is all digital - no vacuum lines that i have seen with the centre of the dash apart.

Tomorrow, i will pull the centre part of the dash out and stick my head in there to see if i can get a better direction for the noise...

Old 15-12-2007, 03:59 AM   #8
enzosRus
Starter Motor

I am having the same problem with my el xr6. It doesnt seem to be the gearbox or diff, its coming from the front of the car and it happens both when the car is in gear or in neutral. It also goes up and down with the engine revs. Its really bugging me so if anyone knows what it is, any info would be greatly appreciated.

MODS
2.5inch cat-back,
K&N high-flow filter,
SS Induction cold air intake,
Heavy duty button clutch,
Spoiler Removed.

Super Low King Springs purchased and getting installed soon!
enzosRus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 04:13 AM   #9
sly
Sly like a G6

Maybe someone installed a supercharger while you weren't looking...
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 10:34 AM   #10
philg

Mine did the same, but only when I switched to lpg. Disappeared in time. Until I had the gas serviced. Now its back again!
philg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 01:26 AM   #11
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

I solved my issue.

I traded it on a brand new XR6 Turbo about 3 months ago

Old 17-12-2007, 11:25 AM   #12
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The only thing down there, apart from the cig lighter is the seatbelt pretension unit, mounted to the floor....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 11:37 AM   #13
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A whining from behind the dash ? you don't have my ex wife traped behind there do you ?
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 11:42 PM   #14
goXF
Now AU powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by philg
Mine did the same, but only when I switched to lpg. Disappeared in time. Until I had the gas serviced. Now its back again!
I've got that too, on gas, as well as my dad's car and my sisters car - all on gas.

Have been told it's OK, just the converter....although not there all the time.

Current Car: 2002 AU3 Falcon Forte sedan, 51,000Km when purchased - NOW: 81,000Km.
goXF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 12:17 AM   #15
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

if it's more of a whistle type whirring noise I would say it's the alternator. Is it worse with the lights on/electrical load?

Mine has a whistle to it and it is the alternator, has done for years.

Amazing how sounds transmit within a car, hope that helps.
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 01:33 AM   #16
Crash Lander

I get a constant whine in my S1 AU too, but it comes from the passenger seat. I keep telling her to be quiet, but she just won't! :