Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 12-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
Vines5161

Unhappy Throttle Issue

Friends have just bought an LT Zetec Focus(Auto). It has only done about 2100kms(700 of them done by the dealer trying to find the fault). The problem is that "sometimes" when taking off from the lights, there is no throttle response for 5 seconds or so and then the revs start to build and the car moves off. Once the car is moving there is no issue. They find it very difficult to do a U turn or pull out into traffic. As I said, this fault occurs "sometimes". The dealer has been unable to fault the car. Is this fault a "once of" or have others had this occur to them. Any help will be appreciated.

Vines5161 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like a GB problem - going into limp mode. If so an error code should be logged unless of course it's power related like a loose cable or the like... Fortunately most of us drive the manual version.
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
BlackLS
yum

I had a similar problem where the throttle position sensor/servo was stuffed and there was a flatspot between 50-75% throttle. Ended up with the engine light coming on every trip, and "speed limited" notice coming up on the trip meter... I'm not sure at what speed it was limited to, seemed unlimited at the time.

A new throttle body later and software flash and all was good.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Does it make a difference if you slam the accelerator really hard? Because if it's only light acceleration that it's occurring on, whereby you don't push the accelerator to the floor, it's a long shot, but might be a sticky TB. Where it might take a bit of throttle to get the butterfly valve to open. so if you slam the accelerator it might loosen it up straight away. That's the only thing I can think of. It might be your cars way of telling you that it needs that extra pedal ;)

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Am I the only one that smirked a little after reading the word "limp"?

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj-zetec
Am I the only one that smirked a little after reading the word "limp"?
I wasn't going to admit it, but I chuckled a bit too. All I could think about was those Nasal Delivery ads!!

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 12:20 AM   #7
BlackLS
yum

Now that would be funny to open up a bonnet of a car and seeing their fuel injectors replaced with AMI nasal sprays.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As for the TB you can hear it operate with the engine not running and ignition on. It makes a zip zip noise as you push and relax the throttle pedal. but if it makes a limp noise that spells trouble.
Old 16-10-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
Kariharnett
Lil Henry

i thought the focus and fiesta both had Fly by wire throttle?
Kariharnett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2008, 10:59 AM   #10
Kariharnett
Lil Henry

this is a 07 model throttle pedal and it is fly by wire
Kariharnett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #11
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is indeed so have the engine off and you can hear the stepper motor moving the butterfly thus the zip zip sound.