Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 20-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
layton
Starter Motor

Default Cold Air Intake

Have just purchased a 2011 Festiva LC. Does anyone know of a cold air intake system? If not will a K&N filter help with improved air intake.

layton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
layton
Starter Motor

Default Re: Cold Air Intake

Opps cannot spell. Its a Fiesta of course !!
Old 20-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
Caydus

There's an old thread here which goes through a few things.

There's heaps of induction kits available for the Fiesta, but if you're in NSW, you're pretty stuffed for choice as you can't have an exposed unsecured pod filter.

Drop in K&N filter is good to start with and extremely easy to do, but difference is minimal. The Fiesta already comes with a CAI stock, albeit a bit restrictive.
Caydus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Get the Pipercross one from Pumaspeed, it's a pretty sweet kit and pretty good value. Just run the car in first before adding any modifications.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #5
REDDYZ

You can try K&N Apollo universal cold air intake kit. Its enclosed and awesome.

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/apollo.htm

I fitted this on my Cougar few days back and there is a huge difference. It has conical shaped k&n pod filter enclosed in shell.

Bought it on ebay for $140 USD shipped from US. Good value for money. Its universal, however just make sure it fits. I had never seen Fiesta's engine bay so, can't say much about it.

cheers
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 01:01 AM   #6
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think the Apollo will fit because it doesn't accommodate the MAF sensor which is part of the airbox lid on the Fiesta.

On the other hand, I second the vote for the Pipercross. I put one in the Mrs' Fiesta, and it makes a noticeable difference in response, especially at freeway speeds and/or WOT.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 01:04 AM   #7
REDDYZ

Fair enough, even I had problems pairing it with MAF sensor and had to use an additional adaptor.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Old 21-01-2012, 02:08 AM   #8
vhcbm

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

J1 who also make an induction make a MAF adaptor but I'm not sure if it will work with any induction kit. Either way it's very expensive anyway.

Old 21-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
layton
Starter Motor

Thanks everyone. I will check out the Pipecross one. First time ever I have owned a Ford and chose the Fiesta after reading all the small car reviews, test driving etc and came to the conclusion within that price bracket it was the best.
Old 21-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually, I was talking about the Pipercross panel filter rather than the intake kit, but the kit does look like a good bit of equipment.

Old 21-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Whatever you choose make sure it's enclosed or you will void your insurance. If you get a kit that removes the OEM filter box, even it's another enclosed one, make sure you tell your insurance company.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
vhcbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Whatever you choose make sure it's enclosed or you will void your insurance. If you get a kit that removes the OEM filter box, even it's another enclosed one, make sure you tell your insurance company.
That's if they even find out ;) I think they would find it hard to find an excuse as to why they voided the warranty.

Old 21-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #13
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhcbm
That's if they even find out ;) I think they would find it hard to find an excuse as to why they voided the warranty.

Depends on who you're with, there are allot of low risk insurers, if you do any type of mod with them they will tell you to go else where.

I was with budget, put in an air intake and they ran scared, RACV don't care, I'm on an agreed value and can do whatever.
Old 22-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #14
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

The only way they won't find out is if you repair the car at your own expense, which defeats the purpose of comprehensive insurance.

If you have an accident and the car needs to be repaired in a workshop they will find out: insurance companies have assessors crawl over cars, especially if you are at fault. Anything remotely illegal or a mod they don't have in writing (not just a phone conversation - it must be in writing) is enough for them to void the warranty and leave you with a huge debt.

For example, if you have a pod filter and hit the back of a BMW then you are at fault in an illegal vehicle (even if you have told the insurance company about your mod - for example as in the case of Just Cars - it must be legal: insurance companies are happy to take annual premiums off customers with cars with illegal mods as they are under no obligation to pay out as they stipulate the mods must be legal: so pod filters, rims to big etc. voids the insurance) and your insurance policy is null and void, and you will be faced with repairing the BMW as well as your own car. Ouch.

Insurance companies that are happy for you to "do whatever" will still stipulate that the mod must be legal. It doesn't mean you can go whacking on 22s on a Focus or pod filters or drop the car to an inch off the ground. Sure, they'll still take your money, but they don't have to pay out.

Remember, insurance companies do not make hundreds of millions in profit each year by sympathetically paying out every claim - they make their coin by wriggling out of every claim they can: modifying your car outside OEM parameters gives them a multiplex of excuses to deny your claim.

That's why for the airbox I just slipped in a K&N filter panel: totally legal, nothing is altered/bypassed/changed and its in writing with the insurance company.

Last edited by Fiesta_Man69; 22-01-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: More information put in
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
REDDYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
The only way they won't find out is if you repair the car at your own expense, which defeats the purpose of comprehensive insurance.

If you have an accident and the car needs to be repaired in a workshop they will find out: insurance companies have assessors crawl over cars, especially if you are at fault. Anything remotely illegal or a mod they don't have in writing (not just a phone conversation - it must be in writing) is enough for them to void the warranty and leave you with a huge debt.

For example, if you have a pod filter and hit the back of a BMW then you are at fault in an illegal vehicle (even if you have told the insurance company about your mod - for example as in the case of Just Cars - it must be legal: insurance companies are happy to take annual premiums off customers with cars with illegal mods as they are under no obligation to pay out as they stipulate the mods must be legal: so pod filters, rims to big etc. voids the insurance) and your insurance policy is null and void, and you will be faced with repairing the BMW as well as your own car. Ouch.

Insurance companies that are happy for you to "do whatever" will still stipulate that the mod must be legal. It doesn't mean you can go whacking on 22s on a Focus or pod filters or drop the car to an inch off the ground. Sure, they'll still take your money, but they don't have to pay out.

Remember, insurance companies do not make hundreds of millions in profit each year by sympathetically paying out every claim - they make their coin by wriggling out of every claim they can: modifying your car outside OEM parameters gives them a multiplex of excuses to deny your claim.

That's why for the airbox I just slipped in a K&N filter panel: totally legal, nothing is altered/bypassed/changed and its in writing with the insurance company.
Thanks for all info. Good call, just rang my insurance company to update the mods. cheers

Old 22-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #16
layton
Starter Motor

Looked up the Pumaspeed website. The Pipecross one is it the one that says for the Mk.7 TI-VCT ? says will fit the 1.6lt. Hate to buy and find wrong one.
Old 22-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #17
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mk7 Fiesta is the Euro equivalent of the WS/WT Fiesta here. The TI-VCT is a number of Ford engines including the Fiesta's 1.6L engine.

The Pumaspeed Pipercross kit here http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/product-P...Ti-Vct_877.jspmentions 1.25, 1.4 & 1.6L engines, but check with the person who has it as to whether this is the right kit.

Last edited by In Focus; 22-01-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 22-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #18
vhcbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
Mk7 Fiesta is the Euro equivalent of the WS/WT Fiesta here. The TI-VCT is a number of Ford engines including the Fiesta's 1.6L engine.

The Pumaspeed Pipercross kit here http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/product-P...Ti-Vct_877.jspmentions 1.25, 1.4 & 1.6L engines, but check with the person who has it as to whether this is the right kit.
Yep that's it.

the Mk7 is basically just saying generation 7.

Old 26-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #19
layton
Starter Motor

Hey vhcbm are you happy with the Pipecross CAI and Chamber? Do you feel it has improved performance and overall engine response?
Old 26-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #20
vhcbm

Yea I'm quite happy with it, the noise is different and Yes it does make it more responsive., wouldn't say it makes it faster though.