Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-09-2005, 05:14 PM   #1
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Default British Soldiers Fleeing Tank

Not sure if anyone saw this on the news last night.

But i felt sick to my stomach wathcing the soldeirs flee the tank, each of them engulfed in flames.

Thoughts go out to all armed forces in Iraq and everyone who signed up to defend their country.

Old 21-09-2005, 05:22 PM   #2
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah saw that in the paper,apparently they were getting stoned as well(rocks thrown at them)

QUOTE What makes you think I'm going to park behind a VE? I don't even attend the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras! QUOTE
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 05:34 PM   #3
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah saw it on the news - not only were they engulfed in flames but then pelted with rocks when they got out.

I would have thought a tank could not be taken down by some civilians weilding nothing more than molitov tails - guess i was wrong.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 06:01 PM   #4
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I saw that in the paper while having lunch. I actually didn't notice there was a person in the fireball, until it was pointed out to me.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 06:16 PM   #5
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I can't say what i think of the situation, it would breach the terms and conditions of this site.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 06:40 PM   #6
Valknutr

about this, that guy in the photo (i think it was him) when he finally got off the tank took off his jacket and squared up against the iraqis and held them off til reinforcements arrived!! Seems he just happened to be a boxing champ in the army.... No bull

Last edited by Valknutr; 21-09-2005 at 08:02 PM. Reason: cant spell IRAQ
Valknutr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 06:47 PM   #7
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
I can't say what i think of the situation, it would breach the terms and conditions of this site.
Ditto.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 07:10 PM   #8
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe

I think the tanks should be fitted with flame throwers. Fight fire with fire I think !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 09:40 PM   #9
Walkinshaw
Two > One

wierd, that tanks 20mm cannon and 115mmcannon must be fake.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 10:05 PM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Yeah saw it on the news - not only were they engulfed in flames but then pelted with rocks when they got out.

I would have thought a tank could not be taken down by some civilians weilding nothing more than molitov tails - guess i was wrong.
Apparently it got so hot inside the tank they had to bail out. The aircon musn't have been working.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 10:26 PM   #11
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think most of the time they drive around with the hatchet open with a bloke sitting out of it. thats why i think they got burnt

QUOTE What makes you think I'm going to park behind a VE? I don't even attend the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras! QUOTE
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 11:31 PM   #12
Falcon Freak
Banned

If the British soilders were not in Iraq then they wouldn't have found themselves in such a situation.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 11:37 PM   #13
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

And if the terrorists weren't in Iraq, the British Soldiers would have been there...

I will bite my tongue at that so I don't get banned.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 01:10 AM   #14
EL_Advanti

last i checked most of the terrorists got into iraq after it was attacked...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 08:16 AM   #15
Falcon Freak
Banned

Thumbs up The Grand Poobah has spoken

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 09:20 AM   #16
Shonky

Regardless, they're still there and we should blow the F*** outa them! Or were you talking about the Pommy Soldiers? lol!

I am aware that the war in Iraq wasn't really anti-terrorism moivated...

Anyhoo... It's all a matter of opinion, and I still wouldn't want to be anywhere near the place let alone being burnt to death in a tank...

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Old 22-09-2005, 11:32 AM   #17
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
If the British soilders were not in Iraq then they wouldn't have found themselves in such a situation.

FF
Surely your beef rests with the Blair Government...

Those men were simply following orders, doing their job. They should be respected for doing so. Im sure your moral opinion gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling inside but I doubt it does very little for soldeirs under a rain of fire.
Old 22-09-2005, 12:01 PM   #18
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_Advanti
last i checked most of the terrorists got into iraq after it was attacked...
Funny I thought gassing your own people, attacking other countries for no good reason etc kind of made you a terrorist and or genocidal maniac. But I'm sure you thought Saddam and his govt. were completely legal, democratic and benevolent :

They are there to try and stop the fighting with superior force, only problem I see is they don't run people over or shoot them just because they fire-bombed them. Show some bloody respect, they could have just mowed the lot of them down and rolled on out. And you know what? No one would have really cared. Instead they risked their lives so those mongrels could live.

Your tax pays soldiers salary and the bullets they use to kill people. Don't like it? Bugger off somewhere else.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 01:41 PM   #19
MYV8
Gota be happy with a Hump
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont99
Funny I thought gassing your own people, attacking other countries for no good reason etc kind of made you a terrorist and or genocidal maniac. But I'm sure you thought Saddam and his govt. were completely legal, democratic and benevolent :

They are there to try and stop the fighting with superior force, only problem I see is they don't run people over or shoot them just because they fire-bombed them. Show some bloody respect, they could have just mowed the lot of them down and rolled on out. And you know what? No one would have really cared. Instead they risked their lives so those mongrels could live.

Your tax pays soldiers salary and the bullets they use to kill people. Don't like it? Bugger off somewhere else.

I agree, right down to the last full-stop.

BluePower Racing Developments ............... Best in the Business
MYV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 02:03 PM   #20
Shonky

Cheers guys, I was starting to think I was alone on this one...

It is true though. They could have flattened them so easily. I didn't really think about why they didn't..

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Old 22-09-2005, 03:26 PM   #21
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont99

What he said x 2....

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 03:58 PM   #22
tbearz

If saddam was there, there would be no fighting, kofi would still be getting his kickbacks for food for oil program, the price of petrol wouldnt be near $80 more like $35 and those blokes wouldnt have been fire bombed cos they would be at home at their barracks. And think about it for one minute, why did they get fire bombed, cos iraq is worse off now than it was pre march 2003. Please even the us senator who did the whole freedom fries thing see's that the whole going into iraq thing was wrong. And those soldiers know that they are getting into to when they signed up to go to iraq as part of the army. I am not saying what happened is good, far from it. But you have to look at it objectively not narrow minded and in a particular view.

/rant
tbearz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 04:11 PM   #23
gozza

none of these people join the damn army just to oil a weapon and shine boots
i for one get sick of people(not reffering to anyone here) saying how howards an idiot for doin this and that with our troops...its what there paid to do...no one makes them join
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 04:12 PM   #24
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was plenty of fighting while Saddam was around as well as brutal oppression of minority groups. You can't pick and chose which parts of Saddam's reign you want to focus on. Petrol prices would still soar (we don't control the weather). This transition period is violent and Iraq isn't exactly a great place to be right now (was it ever?) but saying it's because the soldiers are there is like saying it was the people inside the twin towers that caused the terrorists to crash into them. They are currently a crappy, petty, violent society but we are trying to change that. Where people are ready and willing to kill for the sake of it you have to be ready and willing to defend yourself and those that can't.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
Old 22-09-2005, 04:25 PM   #25
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Then there's always the 'bugger it' option, lets just give in to the hippies show them what their reasoning would get them (you can't say leave Saddam there, apathy is not an option and throwing money and aid into the pits that these kind of leaders create doesn't work). Pull every last troop out, massive power vacuum, whoever arrives with the most guns wins, sounds like that would create a society you would want to live in doesn't it?

Through history armies of civilised nations have been stopped from 'finishing the job' and this has in turn caused more wars fighting the same enemies and ideals over and over. You need to hit the aggressor so hard they don't get back up (in a military sense) ever. The world just doesn't have the stomach for what is required anymore and they reap the rewards of half arsed efforts.