Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-04-2006, 11:24 PM   #1
XT221
Blue Blooded

Question Melbourne SE Suburbs ?

G'day All , Just wanted to get some advice from people in the know about where and where not to live Melbourne , as lets just say ive got some nice Trailer Trash Neighbours (& Crappy Neighbourhood)at the moment and don't really want a repeat performance !............we will be renting for 6 to 12 months till we find a another house to buy and I will be working in Oakliegh so dont want to be to far from there maybe 30 to 45 min drive away. Any : will be Appreciated......Thanks Paul

XT221 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 11:49 PM   #2
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know what bad neighbours can be like. When your thinking about buying be sure to visit your prospective neighbours and just ask about the street. Most people are happy to talk and if they're not then its a bad sign so don't buy.

I've got a house for sale in Karingal at the moment. Nice quiet neighbours. My sisters family has been living there for the last three years. The old lady next door lives alone, the other neighbours are never home and when they are they're quiet and polite.

Its a top house with new bathroom, kitchen, and garage. Wish I could live there but I'm living interstate. Its on the market for $227,000. Contact LJ Hooker Frankston if your interested in a peaceful spot to live. PM me if you'd like details and pictures. Its also advertised on realestate.com.au...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 12:26 AM   #3
BJ
Banned

I didnt know we sold property on the forums. You could have pmed him instead sport.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 01:32 AM   #4
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, ok. Point taken...
Old 09-04-2006, 02:30 PM   #5
jcxr
Tribal Elder

THE BAR: GENERAL TOPICS. Cant see any fault here, the guys looking for good accomadation, shouldnt we helping him out instead of having a dig at him. Hope you find a reasonable neighbourhood mate
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 02:42 PM   #6
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Mate

I live in Brighton, only 25m to Oakleigh onlong north road. Any of the sourounding suburbs are good, it realy depends on you rental price range? You may get a bit of a surprise, as its more that Queensland.
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 02:49 PM   #7
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Inner suburb rentals are quite expensive, you could try berwick, narre warren area.
Just stay clear of Dandenong.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 02:50 PM   #8
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Glen Waverly/Wheelers HIll is a good spot (close to big shopping centres, freeway etc) and only 10-15min from oakleigh. Caulfield also only about 10min in the other direction and a fairly good area (closer to city, trams run out there etc).

I guess it really depends on your budget though, the above are nice and probably medium-high prices. Some cheaper places within 20-30min would be dandedong, springvale, noble park etc but they have their fair share of yobbo's, immigrants and dole bludgers.
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 03:20 PM   #9
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can find crappy neighbours anywhere. I used to live in east brighton in some units. some of the neighbours there were great.. the others deserved to be set in concrete and taken for swimming lessons.
I work in the waverley area whihch is quite good and cheapish. The closer you get to town the worse the financial hammering gets.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 04:39 PM   #10
XT221
Blue Blooded

Thanks Guys ive done a fair bit of research on the net and believe it or not Melbourne s/e is Heaps cheaper to rent and or buy than here (sunshine coast)so we can afford a decent place, We will steer clear of Dandenong etc ...thanks
XT221 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 06:08 PM   #11
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

some parts of cranbourne are ok , like my part ;)

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 06:36 PM   #12
Miss_Aly
Queen Bee

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the work on cruises and the money raised for charity. 

I live in Narre Warren South, 5 mins from Fountain Gate Shopping centre. The area is farely new about 5 yrs. Nice spot to live and quiet too.

Here are some sites that you might find interesting?

http://www.vec.vic.gov.au/NarreWarre...ctprofile.html
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...cu=&t=ren&q=Go
http://www.communityguide.com.au/sub...en-south-3805/
Miss_Aly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 07:02 PM   #13
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you're renting, Mt Waverley, Glen Waverley, Clayton would be typical middle class suburbs and not far from Oakleigh. Clayton Sth has high voltage power lines east - west and a tip, so I would be reluctant to rent there. Chadstone, Murrumbeena, Carnegie, Malvern East, Hughesdale and Oakleigh would be a small step up, but the houses there tend to be older - weatherboard instead of brick, but some newer ones are there too.
Mulgrave is getting further out, most are reasonable but sort of isolated in terms of public transport as it is between 2 rail lines. Wheelers Hill has some expensive homes in it.

Noble Park would probably be worse than Dandenong (I live in Dandenong). I pay $160/week for a decent 2 bedroom unit with ducted heating and single garage. Mt Waverley for example would be closer to $200/week for something similar and Chadstone would probably be a little more. 3 bedroom houses with a garage and some comforts like heating/cooling would cost a little more again.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 07:05 PM   #14
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU302
Thanks Guys ive done a fair bit of research on the net and believe it or not Melbourne s/e is Heaps cheaper to rent and or buy than here (sunshine coast)so we can afford a decent place, We will steer clear of Dandenong etc ...thanks
You better do your research again,you will find that the rent in S.E,suburbs will be a lot more expensive than in up good old Qld.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 07:15 PM   #15
EF302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 320
You better do your research again,you will find that the rent in S.E,suburbs will be a lot more expensive than in up good old Qld.
Cheers John
Round here u cant really get a decent house for under $300-350pw in good old qld.
surely they couldn't be more expensive then that?
EF302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 07:19 PM   #16
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about Doveton? That's a good area. Just keep your shoty under the bed and loaded...

Steer clear of Frankston North otherwise known as the pines. I grew up there. It was a crap hole then and is a crap hole now.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:13 PM   #17
XW Boy
Being built not bought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR_AU
some parts of cranbourne are ok , like my part ;)
Cranbourne has many bogans, lol : but some realllllly hot cars around the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourBarrel
What about Doveton? That's a good area. Just keep your shoty under the bed and loaded...

Steer clear of Frankston North otherwise known as the pines. I grew up there. It was a crap hole then and is a crap hole now.
Hahahahah the pines, what a top place, as they say, nothing gets stolen in the pines :hihi:
XW Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 09:13 PM   #18
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourBarrel

Living in Frankston (not north!) I can certainly vouch for that statement. Pretty rough neighbourhood
Old 10-04-2006, 10:38 AM   #19
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

meh i live in a street filled with elderly people so its quiet , but yes granted , there are some F#@!ing tools in cranbourne !!

lol If you want to go somewhere to elude your 'Fines' , Just Head to Frangar North in ' The Pines '

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 10:44 AM   #20
max^power
Formerly au^ute

stay well clear of frankston mate. unless you dont value your belongings, sanity and safety.
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 02:15 PM   #21
Ringo
I see you....

I can't get over the prices that some of these outer suburbs are demanding....its amazing.

I am a resident of Mordialloc but Mrs Ringo grew up in Frangas (aka Frankston) and even did a stint in Frankston North (aka the pines). She USED to know people who still lived in the pines and well lets just say that the police would be interested in their source of income....We don't see them anyone thankfully..The pines has a reputation and it is still valid.

Carrum Downs is OK. Langwarrin is OK but is getting a bit far for an easy commute I think, Cranbourne too. Those 2 suburbs are 40 min at least (Will I be corrected?)

Oakleigh huh? Commuting can be a ИИИИИ. How about Mordialloc, Braeside, Chelsea, Aspendale. Closer to the beach, nice area, some rough people around but few n far b/w. 30 min to Oakleigh in peak hour I think.

Don't buy a house in Aspendale Gardens as it used to be a swamp and a good majority of the house are cracking

There is also Keyborough which is nice can be a little rough as it is on the edge of Dandenong. Mulgrave is OK I think. There is an unknown suburb called Clarinda which borders Oakleigh.

There is also a big tip on Boundary Rd - on a hot day with a wind the smell is quite something and I'm sure it travels. Look it up in the Melways.

Avoid Springvale. Too many reasons why to mention... just do it. Oakleight itself it OK...just look there...perhaps walk to work !

Melbourne SE is wonderful. Well laid out roads mean that everything is 30 min away. Westfield Southland is as big as Sunshine Plaza I think plus I have at least 4 Bunning stores, a Supercheap and Repco within 20 min drive.....I love it
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 03:34 PM   #22
FirstFord
Ding Ding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo
Westfield Southland is as big as Sunshine Plaza I think
Did you mean Highpoint Ringo? Southland would have around 200+ shops more than Sunshine Plaza.
FirstFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 03:40 PM   #23
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Narre Warren, 2 bedroom unit, single remote garage, will be avaliable in about 2 months and its 12 months old, send me a PM if interested.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 04:26 PM   #24
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I lived in Cranbourne until 1997, back then it was a nice spot to live, the last time I was down that way was 2000/01 and it had changed, not the same place I remembered.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:36 PM   #25
AdzT3-146
own the road

Wantirna South is where it's at ;)

It's a pretty decent area, fairly quiet and get along great with neighbours either side of me.
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
AdzT3-146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 06:28 PM   #26
FordFan86
meow

Parts of Carrum Downs and Skye are not bad...
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 06:35 PM   #27
Dezza
Parts bin special

I moved from Clayton to Sth Oakleigh at the end of last year. While I've found Clayton to be a bit of a hole, I reckon Oakleigh is pretty nice.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 06:38 PM   #28
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i live in huntingdale and love it. great place even if i am the only aussie.lol
Old 10-04-2006, 08:03 PM   #29
jaytyn

Yeah Steer clear of Clayton, Clarinda, trust me ;)

Oakleigh is fantastic, I live in Oakleigh South, great suburb.
Huntingdale, glen waverely, east bentleigh are good also.
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 10:40 PM   #30
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF302
Round here u cant really get a decent house for under $300-350pw in good old qld.
surely they couldn't be more expensive then that?
You would be surprised,depending on the suburbs e.g Hawthorn ,Canterbury,Camberwell,Mont Albert then you can go to Toorak,Sth,Yarra,Brighton and most of the bayside suburbs for the big homes i've heard of figures of $1000 plus.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post