Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 14-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 
Default Baskerville Tasmania - Street drags 1/8th mile

Hi guys,

for the tassie members, heres some advance warning about this event.

Be great to see some other Fords participate.

While I'm going to have my *** handed to me by most everything else (it aint no 1000m event afterall!), it's still fun to have a crack and heads up race with some other eager beavers

Tire smoke FTW

Limited to 120 entrants, and they're up to around 100 already - get in quick.

Drags, circuit runs, power skids. Not sure about burnouts.

Home page

http://jhanley.customer.netspace.net.au/BVD/

Some of the field

http://jhanley.customer.netspace.net...s/Gallery.html

Texas

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Baskerville Tasmania - Street drags 1/8th mile

Mark Whitla will be the one to beat.
I need to confirm the green slug for the event. Gotta test our the new intercooler.

Ps. There are some strong rumours circulating that the drag track has been, or will soon be bought, and will be back in action soon. The coupe needs a workout!
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....

Last edited by GTP owner; 15-12-2012 at 08:51 AM.
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Good work signing up Jas. and Fred, team Lemon FTW

If that bloody blown Capri thing can compete, I can't see why the blue coupe can't? I trust there will be at least two divisions, street cars AND race cars.

Let's not get into the debate on what constitutes a street car!

Easy answere, but that's for another discussion lol.

Tell you what, it's gunna be something going door to door up that back straight through 2nd and 3rd and then braking for the tip into the corner.... LOL, guarentee someone will mess it up and go off.....

I've asked they approach the POLICE to see if they'll be kind enough to come out with a radar gun and record terminals. Reckon that will make for some interesting comparos....

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 19-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
ianxy351
more cubes please...

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his technical knowledge with members. 

I heard from someone else yesterday that Tarmac may be bought soon and open in Feb 2013. Will be interesting to see how the Basketcase event goes. Would be good to see something develop in the south as well as the north. Competition is always good!
1967 FJ40 Landcruiser 'Rusty'
ianxy351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tarmak dragway has officially been bought and first meet is in feb! woohoo!
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
This user likes this post:
Old 11-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
tex
Broken

Street Drags run and won yesterday, GTP Owner and me, plus a guy in a Typhoon represented the late model Ford street cars. Around 95 participants with a very impressive crowd in attendance, would appear to be better spectator turnout than what the Tarmac drags generally draws.

Jason (GTPOwner) ran his boosted, zorsted and 'cooled turbo BF to get through to the final few rounds of eliminations, but was out smoked (literally) by a 6.6lt Duramax Turbo motivated Nissan Patrol. It is worth noting that this Nissan was no ordinary offroader, obviously the fact it had a v8 diesel fitted is quite impressive, but the widely spoken about output is on another planet. Try 700hp. Rear wheel hp... This thing lifted the passenger front wheel on take off with only a small chirp from the huge rubber, and a black smoke cloud making most prime movers look very lame. And green, as in tree hugger saving baby whales kind of green LOL.

The Typhoon was knocked out very early in eliminations.

Some other tough street cars running;

A handful of fully sic VL turbos with bigger coolers and turbo housings than found on any local speed shop shelf.
V8 Holden utes of various vintages from blown to bolt on n/a
A Maloo with LSX engine, single monster Garret turbo, Mal Wood Magnum, fabricated IRS 9" and enough braided line to make Rocket Industries take notice. Hugely engineered vehicle.
Toranas with 308's, 355's, and a super straight taistfuly done 400 cube example running 6 speed, big brakes and 19" Symonds wheels
Loads of ricer drift specials with locked diffs, and apparently nary a care for stratospheric revs and mechanical sympathy..
A Nissan GTR of 90's vinage that didn't go anywhere near as good as it should.
A few old school X series Fords, sedans and coupes, one of them proving to be simply too much car for a certain BF GT..
And others I don't recall...... or really care about hahahaha

Memorable moments for me were my first race lining up against a Monaro with big brakes, and from the shake rattle and roll a big cam. I was later to discover it also had a Harrop HTV2300 blower. It went down lol.

The next couple of match ups were less threatening, a couple of ricers which must have got the shock of their short pimply lives. A V8 SS ute that may as well not bothered hahaha, damn, I forgot how slow some Holdens actually are.. despite the SS badges..

Then on the last 'practice' before elliminations began, I front up next to the Maloo from hell, and despite the awesome specifiations mentioned already,,,, it got worse! It was fitted with Goodyear drag slicks! Doh! Didn't end well that race for me, and it beat me across the line by a full car length. I felt humbled (but not totally humiliated by the fact that it appeared from my angle that it came down to its launch. It didn't drive away from me in third gear, so there was hope. Just a little...... maybe?

Then eliminations came around. First match up for the Scud? Yep, you guessed it, the bloody Maloo! Dang, this might be a quick exit me thought. Should I just pack up now?

Last yellow, I left the line at 1500rpm, ran with the Maloo into top of second gear, and........ with my 3rd gear fully hooked up, I drove away from him! WTF? I figured he must have broken something to be honest, and later found out when he came over at the end of the day that he grabbed 5th...... that's racing buddy!

Round 2 for me was a Torana with 355 stroker and loud mo fo side dump nearly blasting paint off my door, ...............got him by over a length.

Round 3 was a drivethrough because apparently I needed the practice (or everyone was too scared to run me lol, nah, seriously, I have no idea wtf happened)

Round 4 I went up against the wheel lifting Patrol, and it gave me the scare of my life! It fair nailed the launch, and by the time I grabbed 3rd gear, it was 1/2 a car length in front! My old mate Kenny breathed deep, and by the finish line I had my bonnet in front of his. Insane turbo diesel power and awd, just incredible and something I won't forget quickly.

So I was in the final, yah!! paired off against a 434 cube Windsor powered XY GT, straight as nails, C6 trans, 9", and hot damn, it was running drag slicks! These bloody drag slicks on street cars?

It was over in the first 20m. I watched it squat, launch and bolt. By the time I'd found traction in the carry me home gear (3rd) it was 2 lengths in front, game over. Later chatting with the very humble owner he informed me thecar was just off the dyno a week or two arlier where is recorded 610rwhp. Tough natural power right there. Was great that he made the effort to come and say gday and enquire about the BFGT he ran against, and I was chuffed he said he was very impressed.

So for me it was a good day, met some good folk, talked crap with Jason and learnt many things ranging from surgical procedures, Audi RS6 sedans, parenting techniques and how to beat up bogans should the need arise. (only have to ask Conan ((GTPowner)) for his assistance) and he assure me he will throw them around like the rag dolls draped in tracksuits

Didn't break anything, didn't bash up on the Scud, never once touched the rev limiter (set at around 7000), or missed a gear, or brutalised any synchros, learnt that short shifting at 5800 - 6000 in 1st gear proved to be beneficial on the upchange into second gear and wasn't penalising me in speed. It meant the shock load in upchange wasn't as brutal and gave the MT's a chance to stay hooked. The MT's i was running simply failed to hook in 1st and 2nd gear with anymore than 1/2 throttle in first and maybe 3/4 in second. 3rd gear was my hammer drop gear and tbh, I'd forgotton how good this car felt when given WOT in 3rd. The fact that tire warming burnouts were not permitted was perhaps the biggest contributor to the lack of grip, but everyone was in the same boat so no point whinging.

[IMG][/IMG]

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.

Last edited by tex; 11-03-2013 at 03:31 PM.
7 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
tweeked
N/A all the way

Great work Tex - you have no right to be so humble from now on!!!

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
F6T
Has V8 envy

Great write up as usual mate. It's one thing to have all that power under the right foot but quite another to pedal it down the line for consistently good results that you seem to always come away with.

I dropped the Typhoon off for a service this morning and was speaking with the team that built the Maloo and yes, he was very disappointed that he grabbed 5th and went down down down.

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
F6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
tex
Broken

Hey V, I am under no illusion that the Maloo is more car than mine. It's an absolute thing of beauty to behold and the engineering gone into it is breathtaking.

It's a vehicle that I aspire to building something akin to one day, best of the best kind of deal! A ford equivilant would be something along the lines of Dan's Terminator or Alluminator

I believe, if I recall correctly the owner aspires to very very low 10's, possible a 9.?????????

He's going to need to nail the shifts through the Tremec to get there!

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 13-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was a great day of fun, and everyone had a great time. The old xr6t overcooked the tyres in the hot-laps, which is why i just spun them on every pass afterwards. You did well beating the pootrol. It humiliated me!
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 16-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #11
shrek378

Sorry to take the wind out of your sails bruv but the xw you run in the final was not running slicks it had et street which are a dot tyre.
shrek378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #12
tex
Broken

Well there you go, I could have sworn they had Goodyear written on them, and no tread lines like the ET Streets I run. I must be mistaken, or have my cars mixed up.

Thanks for the clarification.

Which car were you driving?

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 16-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #13
shrek378

Silverfox xw you run in the final m/t et street, your car goes hard it was a good race.
Old 16-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #14
tex
Broken

Gday mate,

like I say, thanks for the correction, my mistake. There's no doubt in my mind that regardless of what tire you run, the silver GT of yours would hand mine it's ***. That car of yours is a dead set rocket, and one of the best examples of it's type Ive ever seen.

Im just glad that a Ford, and better yet, a GT won.

Thanks for a great race

texas

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 16-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #15
tex
Broken

I'd really like to check your XW out up close sometime, maybe one day we could hook up for a beer or something? Better yet, I might even be able to twist your arm to take me for a spin! LOL

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 16-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #16
shrek378

Thanks mate we all had fun on the day that's what it's all about ,while we are on the subject of racing does anyone know the dates for the ford forums all ford nationals at heathcote Vic in June?
Old 16-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #17
shrek378

No worries at all anytime!!
Old 16-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #18
tex
Broken

Check out the sticky mate, 7/8 June

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11390672

You taking the GT?

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 16-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #19
shrek378

Yes mate want to slick it up and run1/4 mile.
Old 16-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #20
shrek378

Drive it over there race it and have fun should be a good event I think.
Old 16-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #21
tex
Broken

I took mine over last year, it is a great event, well run, as much racing as your car can handle, great people and very friendly atmosphere. Some tough cars there as well.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 17-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #22
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Tex, I made the same mistake in regards the XW tyres. They had obviously been used a heap because there was very little tread left on them!. It was a real weapon and sounded great when opened up. The owner has a fair bit of drag experience behind him, as he used to run at the drag strip quite a few years ago.
If you get the chance, check out the XW. It is VERY nice!
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush