Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 22-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile What time could I run? At a guess...video attached. TR7 V8

I had a go at the Geelong Speed Trials a few weeks back, was struggling for grip!

This is a video of me starting in 2nd gear. I did a one wheel burnout for near 100 metres!
Still did 14.2

If I had grip, big tyres, and an LSD, what do you think it would do? I am not sure on the speed at the end either. Seems pretty good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5SiVJZwY7s

EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What time could I run? At a guess...video attached. TR7 V8

14.2? of what, that was around the bend and up the road. Have you had it on a drag strip and got a time and numbers yet or are you asking for an opinion on what it might do if you did?
first gear change seemed late by the vid, big tyres in which way radius or width, grip is dependent on a lot of things and a lsd might help, but not a given. 13's arent out of the range in my opinion, hope that helps
JG33RD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2012, 11:50 PM   #3
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its 14.2 for a quarter mile drag strip with a bend (Its an official timed strip at Geelong). i started in 2nd and smoked it up until gear change into 3rd, as first is impossible to get any grip at the moment in 1st. I am thinking it should do 12's. I would think I have wasted at least a second in a launch like that.

Just after opinion on people that have done some drags..

Also my gearing at the moment has 6500revs 3rd gear at 154kmh, and 6500 in 4th at 196kmh. I am guessing as didnt look at revs or speed that I would be revving at well somewhere around 5500+ in 4th giving me somewhere around 165-70ish at the end of the quarter with that TERRIBLE start.

Yep just after an idea on if I run it with the right tyres, diff etc at a grippy drag strip what do you think it would do?

Thanks

Last edited by EDManual; 24-12-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 24-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is a link to a calc site, it should help you work out what you have now and what you might need to change.

keep in mind the main purpose of the car ie if it's a streeter you don't won't to make changes that will comprimise driveabaility.
what size tyres are on it now 28"? A set of drag radials may help and depending on suspension setup you can make changes here as well. Try a short shift and pedal it a bit if your having major traction probs, wierd drag srtip you have there in Geelong but at least you have something to race on, do they hand out timeslips.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm
This user likes this post:
Old 24-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
mex351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MPH or KPH would give you a indication what you should be doing over a qrt.However that said car is no where near set up for drags.Single legger plus V8 torque ='s wheelspin.
mex351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It has 23 inch total tyres, 205/50-15s. at the moment.

Using those calculators, setup right should do a low 12 high 11! Id be happy to just get into a 12. so that seems pretty doable.

I am setting it up as a track/club car not drag car.

I have an LSD to use and will have 225/50-16s eventually. Diff will be a 4.11 with supra 5 speed, revving to 6500 in 5th at just 240kmh. (setup for tracks like winton/calder etc)
Old 26-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just doing some video comparisons using the same camera in mates cars at the same track, and for the last about 200m, I timed (starting and stopping when car next to same spot) my car against my mates turbo fg with 290rwkw which was doing mid 13's (the heat was affecting him though as he doesnt have a different intercooler yet) and mine seems to be a bit quicker! So going by that low 13s or 12s should be doable with right setup!
Old 26-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
XT302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon get it to Calder or Heathcote as is and see what it does, that will give you a fair indication...
Old 27-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'd like to see it on a regular strip with a timeslip as well. Not sure what's going on with Calder and it might cost a bit but if you can get to heathcote that would be a big plus for you.