Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 20-09-2021, 03:07 PM   #15091
slowsnake
Banned

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
So, the way I read that graph, 1000 people moved to Queensland from states other than Victoria
That's what I thought!....then realised that 1000 people may have had 1000 babies!
Just a thought, where else would they come from!.....

Not joking...

Cheers Billy
Old 20-09-2021, 03:11 PM   #15092
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
That's what I thought!....then realised that 1000 people may have had 1000 babies!
Just a thought, where else would they come from!.....

Not joking...

Cheers Billy
Yeah but they die in similiar numbers,Probably not 1000 more new ones over the departed number
Old 20-09-2021, 03:21 PM   #15093
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
The CFMEU have got there own problems with there own members.....

Construction workers gather outside the CFMEU office

https://www.news.com.au/national/vic...e84a939b0fbfff
I'm not surprised. Setka has become a lapdog for Andrews. No wonder they have turned on him. I don't blame them.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2021, 03:41 PM   #15094
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Come on CFMEU - shut down the construction industry! This is what we need to combat the tyrants in the Victorian parliament.
Mmmm, a union is only as strong as its weakest rank and file members, and John Setka cannot order the members to down tools unless a meeting/s are organised and a members vote taken!
Well that's how it was in my time, 3 members had to approach the Union delegate on the job and ask to have a meeting, about the same issue, I was a co-delegate on one major construction, but only for my company, we were under the auspices of the AWU, why, because the AMWSU had a moratorium on Uranium mining, and wether folk are aware or not, it is against Commonwealth or Federal law to be a member of 2 unions at the same time!

I took the men out the gate, with management threatening to be there with a chequebook, I told him "don't shoot the messenger" he said I know you and un named person are behind this illegal stopwork meeting, lol, don't you just lurve management.....

It was Friday morning, the men voted to go on strike, those with cars went and had a weekend in Dawin with their families, management closed the wet mess, a meeting was called at 9am Monday, and the boys, well they went fishing, I had to hang around a nice office, on site, till knock off at 5pm, got the AWU organiser to fly in from Darwin, he sorted the nitty gritty, and meeting Monday!

I took 45 men out the gate, the flow on was the site closed down, 2500 men got the weekend off, and I never bought another beer, it was a much needed break from long hot, humid 45°C days, the men needed a break, you go "troppo" otherwise!

We voted on Monday to go back to work, went to an office before the meeting and saw a very big boss slip a brown paper envelope stuffed full of 50's over the table to the main AWU delegate for the whole site!
That was a first for me, and I left a month later, end of 6 month on contract, the delegate later that day gave me a smaller white envelope, we lost one of our members a week earlier, I asked my boss to make sure his wife and kiddies got the money, she did and I resigned from the AMWSU when I got back to Sydney, it was 1981, a very good year indeed!

Cheers Billy
Old 20-09-2021, 03:49 PM   #15095
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Yeah but they die in similiar numbers,Probably not 1000 more new ones over the departed number
If my memory serves me well, when you and your car, caravan or motorcycle are registered in Qld, there is or was no RWC annually, so you could have an address in QLD with a friend or relo, the renewals would be sent there while you were travelling out of state, now that may have some bearing on the extra 1000, its very possible, just blowins but cars registered in Qld, to save doing an RWC every year!....

Cheers Billy

Last edited by slowsnake; 20-09-2021 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Add bit
Old 20-09-2021, 04:11 PM   #15096
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post

New Australians migrate from overseas to the less tropical and humid, larger cities with bigger education hubs of Melbourne and a lesser extent Sydney.

International migrants much prefer Melbourne and due to cost a lesser extent Sydney.

Once the borders reopen this will go straight back to normal.
Good to see someone else thinking along the same lines. The redistribution of population, and evening out density is not all bad news.

We were due for a clean out.

Those not up for rebuilding Vic post pandemic, well, they are welcome to leave IMHO.

On today's protest, whoever kicked the dog (identity seems pretty obvious) is in a lot of strife. Interesting that it has infuriated more people than the protest itself.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2021, 04:27 PM   #15097
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
On today's protest, whoever kicked the dog (identity seems pretty obvious) is in a lot of strife. Interesting that it has infuriated more people than the protest itself.
Old 20-09-2021, 04:29 PM   #15098
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
So, the way I read that graph, 1000 people moved to Queensland from states other than Victoria
Yep, lots have moved here to QLD. Started about 12 months ago, probably just after 2nd lock down. Mate that does ride sharing up there says he is sick of picking up people constantly talking about how much better AFL is compared to Rugby

Would be interesting to know the demographics. I reckon a lot of retirees.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

2 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2021, 04:52 PM   #15099
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

A dark day in the 233 year history of Australia.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Old 20-09-2021, 04:58 PM   #15100
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
A dark day in the 233 year history of Australia.
Not really, it's been quite sunny here recently.
Old 20-09-2021, 06:07 PM   #15101
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Not really, it's been quite sunny here recently.
Were you at the florist this afternoon?

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal...0210920-p58t3f

Rides (past and present)

2 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2021, 06:54 PM   #15102
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well that escalated quickly.... 2 weeks shut down of the construction industry.

Union saying most of the protesters were not members. Should be enough footage around to confirm or deny?

The actions of a few impacting many innocent in the construction industry.

I'm actually confused by it all, what is a shut down going to achieve?

Rides (past and present)

This user likes this post:
Old 20-09-2021, 07:20 PM   #15103
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Were you at the florist this afternoon?

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal...0210920-p58t3f
No but I was on Saturday
Old 20-09-2021, 08:29 PM   #15104
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:

Union saying most of the protesters were not members. Should be enough footage around to confirm or deny?

It actually doesn't really have much to do with the protests last week or today but they did hand the Government the perfect excuse (and more importantly, public opinion) to take the step they have taken - or are about to take.

The reality is that with a third of our current active cases having come from construction sites and those having spread as far as they have it was always going to be the only viable solution made easier by the fact that a percentage of them made it obvious that they were never going to play ball and have continued to travel and congregate in numbers despite the ban on them doing so.

I'm sure we'll see a couple of media beat ups from the Liberal leaning media in the next few days about the hardship Bill the Builder from Geelong is having to undergo with his income taken away so that he can't feed his family despite the fact that thousands of Victorian workers have been in the same boat for a lot of the last 18 months .

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 20-09-2021, 09:54 PM   #15105
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:

Its an attention seeking tool, it puts the real problem or issue away in a far off corner, and they, the political arm of the union, who are in bed with the politicians, can do their dirty secret deals away from the prying eyes and lenses of the media and/or public!

Standard union tactics

Cheers Billy

Last edited by slowsnake; 20-09-2021 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 21-09-2021, 07:11 AM   #15106
tweeked
N/A all the way

We are starting to see now what will happen if the various governments do not provide certainty and then stick to it as far as opening up goes. Too much power under these emergency measures go to people who are basically just a local GP. They make one-dimensional decisions based on their only expertise.

What we saw in Melbourne yesterday will pale as to what will happen. The GENERAL public is starting to say enough is enough. Their part was to get to 80% fully vacc'ed. It makes sense. But if politicians hiding behind a doctors advice tries to keep people out of work, locked up in their homes beyond that point, you will see many average people joining the radicals in the streets.

Now Queensland is talking 90%....... It has to have an end.

7 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2021, 09:18 AM   #15107
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
We are starting to see now what will happen if the various governments do not provide certainty and then stick to it as far as opening up goes. Too much power under these emergency measures go to people who are basically just a local GP. They make one-dimensional decisions based on their only expertise.
Nice example of sweeping generalisations to support an opinion. I can't speak about the other CHO's bust Brett Sutton is far from being just a local GP so go and do some research before stating 'opinion' as fact.
Not only that but the Government takes the advice from a panel of experts including organisation that help them with modelling. As you will have seen from my (simplistic) models, the predictive path can rapidly change with just a few days worth of data and we are learning more globally about this pandemic and particularly the Delta variant as we go so it will always be fluid.

Quote:
I do agree that 90% of even eligible 12+ is almost certainly not achievable and very much a dream vision rather than a real one.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2021, 09:40 AM   #15108
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

On Saturday we saw those locked down protesting to open up.

Yesterday we saw the privileged who were open protesting to close up.

We should not test some people for Covid... Rather we should test them for stupidity and ignorance.
4 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2021, 09:42 AM   #15109
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
It actually doesn't really have much to do with the protests last week or today but they did hand the Government the perfect excuse (and more importantly, public opinion) to take the step they have taken - or are about to take.

The reality is that with a third of our current active cases having come from construction sites and those having spread as far as they have it was always going to be the only viable solution made easier by the fact that a percentage of them made it obvious that they were never going to play ball and have continued to travel and congregate in numbers despite the ban on them doing so.

I'm sure we'll see a couple of media beat ups from the Liberal leaning media in the next few days about the hardship Bill the Builder from Geelong is having to undergo with his income taken away so that he can't feed his family despite the fact that thousands of Victorian workers have been in the same boat for a lot of the last 18 months .
You will see more than media beat ups of this through union demonstrations! anti-vaxxers along with right wing extremists in the rank and file are agitating for a brawl with the government over the rights of not being forced to be vaccinated, this I have seen emerging in my own my workplace and I do believe it is spreading..... interesting times ahead.
3 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2021, 09:45 AM   #15110
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

What we saw in Melbourne yesterday will pale as to what will happen. The GENERAL public is starting to say enough is enough. Their part was to get to 80% fully vacc'ed. It makes sense. But if politicians hiding behind a doctors advice tries to keep people out of work, locked up in their homes beyond that point, you will see many average people joining the radicals in the streets.

Victorians have been given the clearest of roadmaps, more than any other state or territory that I'm aware of. Whether we liked it or not is a different matter. It is in line with the national plan. Uncertainty can't be used as an excuse any longer for Victorians.

90% is a pipe dream. They haven't really lived a lock down to understand how a long one will affect the people, and the political pressure that comes with it. They are probably thinking they can continue to live as they are now until 90%. IF/When? the virus gets in, 90% will be out the window. Of course, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
You will see more than media beat ups of this through union demonstrations! anti-vaxxers along with right wing extremists in the rank and file are agitating for a brawl with the government over the rights of not being forced to be vaccinated, this I have seen emerging in my own my workplace and I do believe it is spreading..... interesting times ahead.
Where is Dutton? Yesterday's footages needs to be sent to ASIO. There are reports that those at the front of the queue protesting were not actually members....who knows. I agree its spreading. As previously mentioned, one of my best mate is in the industry, and recently any conversations I have with him always turns into "communism this" and "communism that", its crazy.

Rides (past and present)

Last edited by T3rminator; 21-09-2021 at 09:51 AM.
Old 21-09-2021, 09:48 AM   #15111
slowsnake
Banned

Just a point of fact, a GP is only as good as his training and hands on experience, my GP, is actually working in the local hospitals ED one day a week, my regional GP before that was based in an office in a major local regional hospital, he also was on call in the ED!

They are like mechanics, one on every corner, but quality varies, some are good at what they do, and really do care about their patients, and some just listen and write a sick note or script!

And then again politics pokes its greasy little hand in and some Doctors think Politics is their calling, not healing, so sad when a medical degree curries favour with the political system!

Cheers Billy

Last edited by slowsnake; 21-09-2021 at 10:12 AM.
Old 21-09-2021, 09:54 AM   #15112
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2021, 10:10 AM   #15113
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Where is Dutton? Yesterday's footages needs to be sent to ASIO. There are reports that those at the front of the queue protesting were not actually members....who knows. I agree its spreading. As previously mentioned, one of my best mate is in the industry, and recently any conversations I have with him always turns into "communism this" and "communism that", its crazy.

We all know that there are lots of low IQ people in this world, they are like sheep, follow the leader, easily influenced, and bribed with a barbecue and free beer!
That's a fact, and am not putting down folk who are not top shelf smart, my own father was a labourer, all his life working at menial jobs, always avoided workplaces where he had to join a union!

I was the opposite, especially on large isolated construction sites, I would seek out the delegate to size him up, usually over a night of drinking, I needed to know my mouthpiece/delegate between the management and members was not a "company man" or a plant,

What's happening in Melbourne with John Setka reeks of politics, its not the rank and file, someone else very powerful is pulling the strings, as for non members, all financial members carry an "OK" card, now this card has a different colour OK emblazoned over it to show you a currently financial!

They are not right wing extremists at these protests, this is bigger than that, and I for one don't like the way it's looking, but making John Setka a prisoner in his own/members office is not by card carrying members!

Cheers Billy
Old 21-09-2021, 11:09 AM   #15114
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Suggest even larger today….
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 21-09-2021, 11:16 AM   #15115
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:

Where is Dutton? Yesterday's footages needs to be sent to ASIO. There are reports that those at the front of the queue protesting were not actually members.....
Sektas bikie crew swinging the majority of punches?

2 lines drawn atm… (happening now)…. Massive police presence
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 21-09-2021, 11:37 AM   #15116
slowsnake
Banned

I can't believe what is happening to my beautiful Australia, my home since December 1968, the land of the free, the land of multicultural optimism!
Where did it go so wrong, and why would good "natured" Australians revolt against their fellow aussies!.......

Whoever is pulling the strings behind the scenes is not a true Australian, they are traitors to the poor defenceless masses, the folk they voted into office to look after their futures are compounding, going up an down on the one spot, instead of leading Australia and its citizens forward they are stuck in a type of invisible sticky mud, the masses who are not tertiary educated depend on those who are, those who can lead them out of this sorry mess!....
Where have all the " good guys " gone, what's going on........

God help us all, I don't know what else to say, I can't express my exact feelings about it, its got me dumbfounded or flummoxed......

Cheers Billy

Last edited by slowsnake; 21-09-2021 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 21-09-2021, 11:57 AM   #15117
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Sektas bikie crew swinging the majority of punches?

2 lines drawn atm… (happening now)…. Massive police presence
Haven't been watching the screens this morning, but I wouldn't be able to tell who is who to be honest. Just turned on sky news, it looks pretty peaceful at the moment? 150k members in the union, even if a couple of thousand turn up, it would not appear to be a representative voice. The mantra advertised on their group pages also sound awfully similar to the ones we saw over in murica.

If it does turn out to be fringe groups inciting this, then Victorians, after 18 months of lock downs, are prime vulnerable targets for recruitment.

Rides (past and present)

Old 21-09-2021, 11:57 AM   #15118
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Nice example of sweeping generalisations to support an opinion. I can't speak about the other CHO's bust Brett Sutton is far from being just a local GP so go and do some research before stating 'opinion' as fact.
Yes I agree, sweeping generalisations about Sutton. But reading his bio, I am underwhelmed. Going off to do humanitarian medicine in Afghanistan plus a few years of public service does not prepare someone to make determinations that affect the financial viability of people, businesses and states. So I actually stand by my opinion. Through luck more than good management!

Old 21-09-2021, 12:09 PM   #15119
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Yes I agree, sweeping generalisations about Sutton. But reading his bio, I am underwhelmed. Going off to do humanitarian medicine in Afghanistan plus a few years of public service does not prepare someone to make determinations that affect the financial viability of people, businesses and states. So I actually stand by my opinion. Through luck more than good management!
Out of interest, tweeked, if you feel that Brett Sutton is, as the Chief Health Officer, not qualified enough to be able to make decisions regarding public health, what qualifications do you think someone in that position should hold?

As a comparison, as a practising engineer, I make cost/benefit decision all the time, yet I have no formal accounting or economic qualifications. I also make risk analysis decisions all the time, and have no formal qualifications in that field, either.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
3 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2021, 12:18 PM   #15120
Stambolova

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
I can't believe what is happening to my beautiful Australia, my home since December 1968, the land of the free, the land of multicultural optimism!
Where did it go so wrong, and why would good "natured" Australians revolt against their fellow aussies!.......

Whoever is pulling the strings behind the scenes is not a true Australian, they are traitors to the poor defenceless masses, the folk they voted into office to look after their futures are compounding, going up an down on the one spot, instead of leading Australia and its citizens forward they are stuck in a type of invisible sticky mud, the masses who are not tertiary educated depend on those who are, those who can lead them out of this sorry mess!....
Where have all the " good guys " gone, what's going on........

God help us all, I don't know what else to say, I can't express my exact feelings about it, its got me dumbfounded or flummoxed......

Cheers Billy

Because government Billy. They caused all of this, and are going in for the kill.

3 users like this post:
Closed Thread