Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-09-2016, 06:58 PM   #1
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Holden unveils new range of cars in complete overhaul...

http://www.theage.com.au/business/re...31-gr5lfy.html

The Acadia is interesting, factory RHD build from a US GM plant might point to other cars being built for the Australian market.

As for the Korean trio... shoot them now.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 07:45 PM   #2
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Holden unveils new range of cars in complete overhaul...

Astra, Barina and Trax aren't new are they?
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 07:59 PM   #3
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
Astra, Barina and Trax aren't new are they?
Nope, but Holden has Astra badged as one instead of its native Opel; the other two abortions are the updated versions.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:36 PM   #4
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

I discovered the Acadia many years ago and thought it would be a worthy competitor to the Territory, because the Craptiva never was. Also the Opel based cars should be good things.

I don't think these measures will be enough to loose the bogan supporter base though.

A segment Ford is trying to distant itself from too.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:52 PM   #5
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all , Yep , just where we're headed ..No soul ..they might be good ,even great cars but they do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for me..I'm a stubborn , set in my ways git and looks like my two Falcons will be literally falling apart before I go front wheel drive anything..including Ford..Maybe if we ever get some proper AWD goodies that could be different...Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 09:05 PM   #6
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why can they build an Acadia in RHD but not a Camaro?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 09:06 PM   #7
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

AWD and 210kw, rather unattractive though, or is it just my Ford bias?
http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/160...-for-australia
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 09:07 PM   #8
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Why can they build an Acadia in RHD but not a Camaro?
A bean counter at GM HQ made the decision that the economies of scale favoured the Acadia and not the Camaro...?

This user likes this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 09:41 PM   #9
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I cannot believe something that big and heavy comes a 2.5 NA 4 cylinder
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 09:53 PM   #10
F6RCD

Acadia has same motor as v6 commodore? Wonder if the ls3 would fit?
F6RCD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 09:58 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

That boat anchor 3.6L V6 is a piece of crap, they stretch timing chains all the time.

At least the old 3.8L Ecotec V6 was reliable even if it did sound like a bucket of bolts in a milo tin being shaken up and down.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 11:30 PM   #12
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wheres the v8 powered sports car? lol
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 11:48 PM   #13
Bolly47
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Amid the gloom, Mr Bernhard believes Holden still has a major advantage over its rivals. "It's not just our history and our heritage in this country," he said. "We are keeping our world-class design centre in Melbourne. We are keeping our proving ground at Lang Lang. We will have more than 300 designers and engineers here in Australia. It means the very best cars from GM's global portfolio can be adapted for our conditions."

How long world-class design centre jobs will last for?? I guess maybe two years before they move offshore?? maybe for the last time after every piece of land and building own by GM is sold . So what your opinion ?
Bolly47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 11:52 PM   #14
Bolly47
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: Holden unveils new range of cars in complete overhaul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont View Post
wheres the v8 powered sports car? lol
Don't worried Electric sports cars are coming ??
Bolly47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 11:59 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolly47 View Post
Amid the gloom, Mr Bernhard believes Holden still has a major advantage over its rivals. "It's not just our history and our heritage in this country," he said. "We are keeping our world-class design centre in Melbourne. We are keeping our proving ground at Lang Lang. We will have more than 300 designers and engineers here in Australia. It means the very best cars from GM's global portfolio can be adapted for our conditions."

How long world-class design centre jobs will last for?? I guess maybe two years before they move offshore?? maybe for the last time after every piece of land and building own by GM is sold . So what your opinion ?
The only good car GM sells in Australia is literally the Commodore, which is gone circa 2017.

The V6 has some reliability problems that I get to experience first hand on a regular basis, the V8 though is pretty damn solid, they crap out the odd alternator and starter motor like everything else.

The rest of their range is Daewoo crap, I wouldn't even give the Cruze or Captiva the steam off my crap, they are both horribly built and unreliable, even down to things like the battery they use, is the opposite polarity to most other cars on the road, as such barely anyone has stock of them on the shelf ready to go.

I've had heaps of Captivas all less than 5 years old in my workshop crapping out CMP, AC compressors and instrument panel clusters and a few Cruzes for things like wheel speed sensors and issues with the butterflies inside the intake manifold.

The Colorado is the next best thing Holden has going for it, its not too bad as far as those horrible Thailand special dual cab utes go in the grand scheme of things and even then we've got one customer with an RG Colorado which burns oil like its going out of style between services.

The way I see it, Holden is screwed come end of Commodore, they might run on reputation as being Australia's favourite child but the reality is they are the redheaded step child of the automotive industry once the Commodore goes and people will only be burnt once or twice by their crappy GM Daewoo specials before they give up supporting the brand.

If Holden ran a restaurant it would be located in Lygon Street in Carlton, be in an amazing building and have 5 star reviews on Facebook, but when you attend you order the $200 steak and the waiter brings out crap on burnt toast, you eat it and give a big brown grin, pay the $200 and tip the waiter and give them a 5 star review on Facebook.

If Joeseph Goebbels was still alive today he would tip his hat to the marketing division of Holden.

Their slogan should be

Holden - You cant polish a **** but you can roll it in glitter!

When the Falcon goes at least we still have Mustang, Fiesta ST, Focus ST and Focus RS.

Plus the new MD Mondeo is a nice car.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 02-09-2016 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:14 AM   #16
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Bolly47;5758285]Amid the gloom, Mr Bernhard believes Holden still has a major advantage over its rivals. "It's not just our history and our heritage in this country," he said. "We are keeping our world-class design centre in Melbourne. We are keeping our proving ground at Lang Lang. We will have more than 300 designers and engineers here in Australia. It means the very best cars from GM's global portfolio can be adapted for our conditions."

I love the spin. The designers at Ford Australia are still designing vehicles from scratch.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2016, 12:40 AM   #17
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck to them, hope they sell. bring some Camaro's and OPC stuff from Eueope.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2016, 12:51 AM   #18
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The V6 is different it has 230kW and revs to 7500. Might actually be half decent. Acadia looks awkward, sloppy and wrong for our roads.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2016, 08:51 AM   #19
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
The only good car GM sells in Australia is literally the Commodore, which is gone circa 2017.

The V6 has some reliability problems that I get to experience first hand on a regular basis, the V8 though is pretty damn solid, they crap out the odd alternator and starter motor like everything else.

The rest of their range is Daewoo crap, I wouldn't even give the Cruze or Captiva the steam off my crap, they are both horribly built and unreliable, even down to things like the battery they use, is the opposite polarity to most other cars on the road, as such barely anyone has stock of them on the shelf ready to go.

I've had heaps of Captivas all less than 5 years old in my workshop crapping out CMP, AC compressors and instrument panel clusters and a few Cruzes for things like wheel speed sensors and issues with the butterflies inside the intake manifold.

The Colorado is the next best thing Holden has going for it, its not too bad as far as those horrible Thailand special dual cab utes go in the grand scheme of things and even then we've got one customer with an RG Colorado which burns oil like its going out of style between services.

The way I see it, Holden is screwed come end of Commodore, they might run on reputation as being Australia's favourite child but the reality is they are the redheaded step child of the automotive industry once the Commodore goes and people will only be burnt once or twice by their crappy GM Daewoo specials before they give up supporting the brand.

If Holden ran a restaurant it would be located in Lygon Street in Carlton, be in an amazing building and have 5 star reviews on Facebook, but when you attend you order the $200 steak and the waiter brings out crap on burnt toast, you eat it and give a big brown grin, pay the $200 and tip the waiter and give them a 5 star review on Facebook.

If Joeseph Goebbels was still alive today he would tip his hat to the marketing division of Holden.

Their slogan should be

When the Falcon goes at least we still have Mustang, Fiesta ST, Focus ST and Focus RS.

Market has moved on from solely Ford vs Holden battle years ago. Toyota ,Hyundai ,Mazda ,VW ,Subaru ,Mercedes , BMW and many more will easily cover for anything thats missing from Holden or Ford car range.
I can't see any similarities between Holden marketing and a nazi war criminal.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2016, 08:58 AM   #20
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolly47 View Post

So if he considers these points as an advantage over his rivals what would he he say about a direct rival that has over 1000 people engineering in Australia, retains it's proving ground and is having constant upgrades to it's world class research and development centre and not only is involved in the R&D of it's overseas cousins but is the lead team on several projects....
Dr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #21
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Their slogan should be

Tend to agree.. You look at the whole Holden Range and its only the Commodore and Colorado you'd even consider (maybe the Opel Sourced Astra might be OK??)..

Barina's are horrible, the Cruze's (my old employer had 2 CD Petrols as pool cars) are diabolical and don't get me started on the Captiva.. My brother has one and still maintains its the worst car he has ever owned and is getting rid of it...

Holden has access to some truly great cars from GM company's around the word.... the Camaro would be a good competitor for the Mustang and, if priced right, would sell... Same with the Corvette....

But while they still get their range from old Daewoo's, they are in Trouble...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #22
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A road test between Arcadia and Edge will be interesting....
Old 02-09-2016, 01:07 PM   #23
Carrion

Wink Re: Holden unveils new range of cars in complete overhaul...

Quote:
The unveil was accompanied by a song from Australian producer Flume, called Trust, which will be the theme to a new advertising campaign.
I like Flume.

Where can I download this track.

That's all I can get from this article
Carrion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2016, 04:23 PM   #24
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The rest of their range is Daewoo crap, I wouldn't even give the Cruze or Captiva the steam off my ......
Woah, there's enough steam there to push the flying scotsman!

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2016, 10:00 PM   #25
Falcman0o7
Banned

Holdens cars are the result of inbreeding in nuclear waste.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2016, 10:32 PM   #26
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden are so ****** once the Commodore is gone. Every Ford product is better in every way.
They may win fans with the AWD TTV6 Insignia for size and power but will lose everything else.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2016, 11:08 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Market has moved on from solely Ford vs Holden battle years ago. Toyota ,Hyundai ,Mazda ,VW ,Subaru ,Mercedes , BMW and many more will easily cover for anything thats missing from Holden or Ford car range.
I can't see any similarities between Holden marketing and a nazi war criminal.
I'm aware of that, the world isn't just Holden and Ford, I wish it was, would make my job much easier, but I'm talking about what Holden has to offer once the Commodore is gone, the VF is a ripper car, the rest of their cars leave a tonne to be desired.

Its a joke, Propaganda/Holden marketing, the motoring journos being on Holden's payroll etc.

If you want me to start on another brand, Volkswagen is the German Daewoo
Old 02-09-2016, 11:39 PM   #28
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
If you want me to start on another brand, Volkswagen is the German Daewoo
Are you saying the dsg box is a piece of crap? My apprentice was all on about girly gti golf's. And how there are so many going so cheap wit 100k on the clock. I warned him. He bought it. Still on his Ls his dad has been driving it as its cheaper to run and slower then the cayenne. Now it's got box issues.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2016, 11:24 AM   #29
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
A road test between Arcadia and Edge will be interesting....
Is Arcadia more Explorer sized as they're 7 seaters.
Dr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2016, 11:44 AM   #30
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
New brand ambassador Claudia Karvan says Holdens are good that's good enough for me.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: