Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Is it a stupid idea to have a performance car now days?

I mean honestly us "car enthusiest" have been picked on alot lately, we are now depected as criminals on adds on tv if we even "creep" above the speed limit, even though i have worked at a mojor car company and they say there speedo error is 10% + or - but polices is under 5%.

Anyway the reason i want to debate this is South Australia has now revamped its speeding fines due to community complaints.

now if you going under 10km over the speed limit you only get a $210 fine instead of $310.

But now if your going 40km over a speed limit you get a $900 fine.

On the massive price of these fines unless your mega rich, how can anyone thats not rich afford a sports performance vehicle or infact any vehicle that can speed(which is everything even push bikes,skate boards).

one press of the loud pedal and its $1000 fine, car crushed threats and whatever.

Has society gone too far, or not far enough?

Im questioning my ownership of these sports cars as i fear even driving them as i may get pulled out of my car and branded a criminal on looks of my car alone.

I think these adverts and police crack downs has gone too far, one would need a shrink if i was a kid looking at those adds.

Debate?

Old 01-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Is it a stupid idea to have a performance car now days?

Its the average motorist who speeds.... not just "car enthusiets".

The problem as you say is that advertising and the do-gooders push the hooning agenda continuously that your believing whats being said.

Go for a long distance drive on a highway and spot the speeders...
4WDs.... P plate girls/ boys in their hyundai..... station wagons... sedans... trucks (yea speed limited).....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 01-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Its the average motorist who speeds.... not just "car enthusiets".

The problem as you say is that advertising and the do-gooders push the hooning agenda continuously that your believing whats being said.

Go for a long distance drive on a highway and spot the speeders...
4WDs.... P plate girls/ boys in their hyundai..... station wagons... sedans... trucks (yea speed limited).....
thats what im saying, ive seen old grannies get pulled over and harrassed by cops.

Once they single you out,what you guna do?

I think they have grown depenable on the "Revinue", if they dont grow in money each year they will die off?yet there aim is to lower crime?

I dont know about you, but i havent got a spare 200-$300 if im only doing 5km over.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint
thats what im saying, ive seen old grannies get pulled over and harrassed by cops.

Once they single you out,what you guna do?

I think they have grown depenable on the "Revinue", if they dont grow in money each year they will die off?yet there aim is to lower crime?

I dont know about you, but i havent got a spare 200-$300 if im only doing 5km over.
Vote them out and let them know why.
Then let the new ones know that if they continue with it you will vote them out next time.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is also "police discretion"... depends what you were doing, your attitude towards the cop, how many other people hes pulled over today, did the previous motorist abuse the cop, etc etc....

While Police in QLD say there is "zero tolerance" and no "leeway", I have always driven to a max of 10% of the posted limit....eg..110 in a 100 zone etc... driven past many mobile patrol cars and hand held lasers and not once been pulled over.

Speed camera tolerances are different im told... but that depends on the operator too (so im told lol).

But if your doing 100kmh in a 60zone... then sorry im afraid you deserve to have as many points taken away from you and a massive fine. Suburbia is not a place to go nuts with speed.....

Old 01-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

IT is revenue raising at its finest. The vast majority of the population will not believe or even see that it is revenue raising as they have the mentality that if you're over the limit by 2 or 3 kms that children die, the world is torn asunder and WW3 will break out.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
I mean honestly us "car enthusiest" have been picked on alot lately, we are now depected as criminals on adds on tv if we even "creep" above the speed limit, even though i have worked at a mojor car company and they say there speedo error is 10% + or - but polices is under 5%.
Not withstanding the above, it is the drivers responsibility to ensure compliance with speed restrictions
and statutory regulations enacted by government departments.

That spec has changed, LINK

Quote:
The accuracy of vehicle speedos is covered by Australian Design Rule 18. Until July 2006 this rule specified an accuracy of +/- 10 percent of the vehicle’s true speed when the vehicle was travelling above 40km/h.

That is, at a true vehicle speed of 100km/h the speedo was allowed to indicate between 90km/h and 110km/h.

An odometer accuracy of +/- 4 percent was also a requirement.

From 1 July 2006 newly introduced models of a vehicle available on the market must comply with ADR 18/03. Also, from 1 July 2007 any newly manufactured vehicle (excluding mopeds) must comply with this rule.

This new rule requires that the speedo must not indicate a speed less than the vehicle’s true speed or a speed greater than the vehicle’s true speed by an amount more than 10 percent plus 4 km/h. Significantly, this change means that speedos must always read 'safe', meaning that the vehicle's true speed must not be higher than the speed indicated by the speedo.

That is, at a true vehicle speed of 100km/h the speedo must read between 100km/h and 114km/h. An alternative way to look at it is; at an indicated speed of 100km/h, the vehicle's true speed must be between 86 km/h and 100km/h.

Significantly, this change means that speedos must always read ‘safe’, meaning that they are not permitted to read lower than the actual speed of the vehicle.

Additionally, there is now no requirement to have an odometer, and therefore there is no accuracy requirement.

This change was made to align Australian vehicle rules with those already in place in Europe.

Note that some vehicle manufacturers chose to comply with the new rule before 1 July 2006. This is acceptable.

Last edited by jpd80; 01-09-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Been pulled over once in my car and had 2 fines in my driving career (one fairly hefty, loss of license etc) and copped it sweet.
Recently i was pulled over due to my own doing and was very lucky.

Ill admit sometimes you get the red mist on and before you know it your into suspension territory.
Also i dont IMVHO think that the fines/suspensions fit the crimes. Thing is as Goose said its not just enthusiasts it can be anyone. Unfortunately people that own cars that are of a performance nature will try and 'test' the performance at some stage. For me 90% of my driving is within the limits.

Quote:
My fine 10 years ago for doing 54 over (Yeah i know it was stupid) was another $600 on top of that
Old 01-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If only it was that easy to vote em out.

I mean why even look at a xr6 turbo? the things a missile and will get you into jail in 45 seconds.

I think its a conudrome(spelling?) that they even make speedo's go to 220+, they push adds on tv about perfomace, Hell a gsxr can break the 130kmh NT speed limit in first gear and have 6 gears to go.

there are deeper issues to the whole thing :/
Old 01-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The AS code does not say speedo error can be plus or minus 10%, it says either zero (dead on) to a max of - 10% (read fast)
so that no one can claim OEM speedos caused them to speed.
The standard for speedo error changed in 2006? or there abouts...
prior to that it was plus or minus 10%.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #11
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

But if your doing 100kmh in a 60zone... then sorry im afraid you deserve to have as many points taken away from you and a massive fine. Suburbia is not a place to go nuts with speed.....
Agree on this part but its the 5m over and treated like a criminal(even on adds now) i dont like.

I mean if you hit someone and hurt them(god forbid) and you going to kill yourself because you was .000135 km over the limit?
Old 01-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The standard for speedo error changed in 2006? or there abouts...
prior to that it was plus or minus 10%.
On pre electronic speedos
Old 01-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have a look at the cars they confiscate during hoon crackdowns...the last one they proudly had in the Rocky paper showed the impound yard, and there was a ratty old Camry, a couple of old Falcons and Commodores (No VN's surprisingly enough... ), an older model Hilux, and a couple of other very vanilla cars...no highly modded WRX's, no Skylines, no Silvias or other stereotypically "hoonish" cars.

As for road rules, we need them. Look around you at the average "standard" of a lot of drivers on the road...would you really like them to have more freedom to drive faster with less punishment? I would wager for every one good driver, there are two "OK" drivers out there, and for them, there's probably another two or three "hopeless" drivers.

As a train driver, I have to "resit my licence" completely every couple of years. We often jokingly wonder what the roads would look like if they did the same to car and truck drivers...we don't know, but I bet they'd be a lot emptier...

Back on topic: performance cars.
The vast majority of performance cars are bought now by people who drive them like a Toyota Corolla...a family car for going to the shops, tooling around town, etc. Not many people buy performance cars to use as a performance car. They've become, sorry, a bit pointless.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Vote them out and let them know why.
Then let the new ones know that if they continue with it you will vote them out next time.
Cambell Newman's government has sent a directive that zero tolerance is to be imposed for speeding infringements,
people felt the sting in Bellbowrie this week being pulled over for between 72 and 75 kph in a 70 kph zone.
Sounded an odd directive to me but apparently that's the word...
Old 01-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #15
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Have a look at the cars they confiscate during hoon crackdowns...the last one they proudly had in the Rocky paper showed the impound yard, and there was a ratty old Camry, a couple of old Falcons and Commodores (No VN's surprisingly enough... ), an older model Hilux, and a couple of other very vanilla cars...no highly modded WRX's, no Skylines, no Silvias or other stereotypically "hoonish" cars.

As for road rules, we need them. Look around you at the average "standard" of a lot of drivers on the road...would you really like them to have more freedom to drive faster with less punishment? I would wager for every one good driver, there are two "OK" drivers out there, and for them, there's probably another two or three "hopeless" drivers.

As a train driver, I have to "resit my licence" completely every couple of years. We often jokingly wonder what the roads would look like if they did the same to car and truck drivers...we don't know, but I bet they'd be a lot emptier...

Back on topic: performance cars.
The vast majority of performance cars are bought now by people who drive them like a Toyota Corolla...a family car for going to the shops, tooling around town, etc. Not many people buy performance cars to use as a performance car. They've become, sorry, a bit pointless.
True, but then you see a lot of soccer moms with massive 4WDs who never go offroad... (watch them at shopping center car parks where they do a 10 point car park... in out in out... then wonder why do you own one and cant park it?).

And yes a lot of owners of Performance cars probably never see the open highway much either as they simply get driven to and from work... but people buy them to "look cool"...

And yes as for the cars which Police sell at auction, here in Townsville the last two auctions have just had total ***** boxes, not one i would even call a "performance" car

Old 01-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #16
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
There is also "police discretion"... depends what you were doing, your attitude towards the cop, how many other people hes pulled over today, did the previous motorist abuse the cop, etc etc....

While Police in QLD say there is "zero tolerance" and no "leeway", I have always driven to a max of 10% of the posted limit....eg..110 in a 100 zone etc... driven past many mobile patrol cars and hand held lasers and not once been pulled over.

Speed camera tolerances are different im told... but that depends on the operator too (so im told lol).

I do the same thing and ive not once had a fine for being over and have also driven passed numerous speed vans.

As for my fine a while back, yeah i copped it.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #17
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it makes owning a less powerful car more attractive. I honestly believe if we had the speeding leniency like the rest of the world more Falcons and Commodores would be sold.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #18
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you need to stop worrying about what everyone else thinks of you. If you enjoy what your drive that should be enough.

I think the police will only target you if you are doing something stupid.

I drive my FPV GT had it for a couple years now, and drive it daily and have never been pulled over.

But When I was younger I did have a 1980 Cortina. Used to get pulled over every second day. Now that was not a performance car, it was only a 4 banger, but it was the way I used to drive it that made the difference.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #19
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
I think you need to stop worrying about what everyone else thinks of you. If you enjoy what your drive that should be enough.

I think the police will only target you if you are doing something stupid.

I drive my FPV GT had it for a couple years now, and drive it daily and have never been pulled over.

But When I was younger I did have a 1980 Cortina. Used to get pulled over every second day. Now that was not a performance car, it was only a 4 banger, but it was the way I used to drive it that made the difference.
Exactly. A lot of us can attest to that learning experience..
Old 01-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #20
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funnily enough i have a citroen work van and at 100kph on the clock it is actually doing 92kph. I have taken it back to the dealer and they said it is within tolerance and wont repair it.

We have to other vans ( citroen) and they both read the same discrepancy.

So whats the issue? I am not speeding sure and "driving" slower than the recommended speed but if you have ever sat on the freeway in peak hour doing the correct speed on the clock the abuse you cop is phenomenal.

I set the cruise to 116kph and it sits on 110 on the gps. ( been checked with3 different GPS).

If there is a serious attempt to curb idiots on the road get out on the freeway at peak hour and pull over the gooses that believe tail gating and 130kph is the correct speed limit.

As for performance cars i learnt years ago when i had the latest model WRX that you dont even have to be a DH in it to be pulled over regularly. Whilst never booked for any offences i was pulled over at least 6 times for a range of excuses like reg and license check, tried to defect it 2 weeks after buying it, are you in a hurry mate ( doing the speed limit) etc.

It doesnt pay to have any car that sticks out in a crowd cause you a re just asking for trouble.

At the moment i am doing up an XE 351. I dont want it to be stock but i am hesitant to modify to much cause i dont want the HF's of constantly being pulled over.
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
Old 01-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #21
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Cambell Newman's government has sent a directive that zero tolerance is to be imposed for speeding infringements,
people felt the sting in Bellbowrie this week being pulled over for between 72 and 75 kph in a 70 kph zone.
If this is the case the solution is to make it personal.

While he has a HUGE majority most of the Government are first timers which means if they lose their seat next time they get NOTHING from the gravy train.

Approach your local and let him know that if it continues you will spend as much time, effort and money as you possibly can to make sure the he/she personally is not re-elected. Not the party but them PERSONALLY.

Remember the whole system runs on votes in the parliament and the method of controlling members is by the whip threatening their future.

Fight fire with fire.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #22
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some interesting posts especially those blaiming performance cars for speeding
I believe you can break the speed limit in a scoda or a Ferrari.....there isn't any discrimination

If you speed you are going to get pinged no matter what you drive

If you drive a **** box wear a base ball cap backwards and have the doof doof blairing then you increase your chances of being pulled over

I have an XB coupe which is too low with massive rubber and havent been pulled over in over 20 years except once when a cop wanted to have a look at the car then offered to buy it
Old 01-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #23
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats a performance car?
Old 01-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #24
Mad_Pom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrixhc
Funnily enough i have a citroen work van and at 100kph on the clock it is actually doing 92kph. I have taken it back to the dealer and they said it is within tolerance and wont repair it.

We have to other vans ( citroen) and they both read the same discrepancy.

So whats the issue? I am not speeding sure and "driving" slower than the recommended speed but if you have ever sat on the freeway in peak hour doing the correct speed on the clock the abuse you cop is phenomenal.

I set the cruise to 116kph and it sits on 110 on the gps. ( been checked with3 different GPS).

If there is a serious attempt to curb idiots on the road get out on the freeway at peak hour and pull over the gooses that believe tail gating and 130kph is the correct speed limit.

As for performance cars i learnt years ago when i had the latest model WRX that you dont even have to be a DH in it to be pulled over regularly. Whilst never booked for any offences i was pulled over at least 6 times for a range of excuses like reg and license check, tried to defect it 2 weeks after buying it, are you in a hurry mate ( doing the speed limit) etc.

It doesnt pay to have any car that sticks out in a crowd cause you a re just asking for trouble.

At the moment i am doing up an XE 351. I dont want it to be stock but i am hesitant to modify to much cause i dont want the HF's of constantly being pulled over.
The current ADR 18 states that the speedo can NEVER display a speed less than the vehicle is traveling and can over read by 10%. So at a true speed of 100km/hr (GPS reading) the display can legally be indicating up to 110 km/hr. Most manufacturers will therefore aim for the middle (5-6%)
Old 01-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #25
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
He can issue all the directives he likes about zero tolerance - all it's going to do is clog up the courts when his directive is at odds with the law.
Anyone pulled over and fined for 72-75 in a 70 zone should not pay it.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #26
Belial
Clevo Mafia Muscle Man

Funny how I have lost my licence many times over the years for speeding mainly on freeways (The points add up quick!) yet other then the directional speed I'm am doing with minimal cars around me, I seem to get "caught".

I live in a very ordinary area and almost every night, I can hear knobs dropping burn outs and peaking out their cars as they drive around the local streets very late at night.

So dissapointing that a Police officer is asked to sit on the side of the freeway and "Wait" for someone speeding when they can be patrolling local streets with the window down listening for *******....(And be nearby if a call in to the police is made.)

NB: I, in no way what's so ever have an issue with the Police, they do a great job dealing with the dumb ar$e public

Daily
FPV GS Manual Sedan. (1 of 20)
now 360rwhp thanx to Blue Power Racing
"Global warming..." " I'm doing my part!"

Also a member of the Clevo Mafia.
You hit me, we hit you!
&
Metal Jacket Muscle Car Club
Old 01-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #27
Belial
Clevo Mafia Muscle Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4ME
Whats a performance car?

Either of my cars listed in my signature

Daily
FPV GS Manual Sedan. (1 of 20)
now 360rwhp thanx to Blue Power Racing
"Global warming..." " I'm doing my part!"

Also a member of the Clevo Mafia.
You hit me, we hit you!
&
Metal Jacket Muscle Car Club
Old 01-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #28
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Anyway the reason i want to debate this is South Australia has now revamped its speeding fines due to community complaints.

now if you going under 10km over the speed limit you only get a $210 fine instead of $310.

On the massive price of these fines unless your mega rich, how can anyone thats not rich afford a sports performance vehicle or infact any vehicle that can speed(which is everything even push bikes,skate boards).

one press of the loud pedal and its $1000 fine, car crushed threats and whatever.

Im questioning my ownership of these sports cars as i fear even driving them as i may get pulled out of my car and branded a criminal on looks of my car alone.

I think these adverts and police crack downs has gone too far, one would need a shrink if i was a kid looking at those adds.

Debate?
Just society gone mad or stupid !
Talking to a pommy the other day ranting and raving about his hatred of germans due to WW2 and then he says that all these people speeding should have there cars destroyed ! i said what about if some ****** stole your car and flogged the guts out of it driving it flat out and all ? would that ****** be worse off then some kid who got his own car destroyed ?
No the ****** would be better off by far ! talk about short sighted and narrow minded.

There is a lot of things that the law should come down on but they do not like all the druge's and thieves not to mention conartist around nowdays.

Try going down the the cops and say there kid is on drugs, they don't want to know about it, as i have heard many say as such. and it's the government who support this position. to destroy our kids for f sake.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #29
Agile

Quote:

Debate?
There is a sting in the untold detail here. Revenue raising is THE NO 1 driver ,not road safety. They have lowered speed fines for the least catorgorie but imposed two demerit points. Why? because drivers can loose their license a lot easier and then be caught by the renew license fee as well as the huge fines. And bear in mind that a lot of people now renew for the pro rata, cheapest amount, ten year license fee. Do your license in say five years, for being slightly stupid, loose your license ,loose the remaining five year fee you have paid and pay a fortune to get your license back after a moderate suspension.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #30
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrixhc

Don't agree with this....I own a crappadore that sticks out like dogs you know whats....The only reason I have ever been pulled up in it is because I've been driving and it comes up registered to my misses. (words right out the coppers mouth).

Ths new fine system is interesting, where they have changed the speed vs fine....I really think it comes down to officers descretion. About 2 months ago, I had a copper pull me up for doing 77 in a 60 zone....Turned left from a corner, going down hill, getting into the right hand lane with traffic coming...

I was polite to him, he used commonsense and realised how I got to the speed as quick as I did, so he let me of with a verbal warning....This is why I say, descretion...

The same would apply having a performance car....Use commonsense, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Closed Thread