Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 22-03-2005, 08:59 PM   #1
Rod

Default Allan Dobson Crash @ the Plex

for those that havent heard Allan Dobson had a big one at the 1000' mark on Saturday night 19/3 the "Green Machine" appears to be totaled, for those that want to see it have a look here

Dobson Crash

download the run, its dial-up friendly

Watch as both cars launch cleanly but then need to be pedalled. Dobbo is on to the back wheel and into the wall, while Bailey rides the back wheels past the camera. The throttle gets stuck in the Greene Machine sending Dobbo on a wild ride as a passenger, he hits the right hand wall again at about 1000' before he manages to hit the fuel shut off but the car still spears across into the other lane and impacts with the opposite wall, setting off a huge fireball that reaches into the middle of the track. The car then bounces off the walls in the braking area with fire and debris all around.

Last edited by Rod; 22-03-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 09:09 PM   #2
Rod

here is a couple of shots of the car, both before & after
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01758.jpg (44.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01763.jpg (38.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01764.jpg (30.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01800.jpg (77.8 KB, 92 views)
Old 22-03-2005, 09:12 PM   #3
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

That was a HUGE hit. Is he ok?

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 09:16 PM   #4
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Yep he was on the news last night, bit of a sore head etc but otherwise fine....
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 09:16 PM   #5
Kryton

that was pretty big. good to see the emergency guys STRAIGHT on it too.
what actually caused it? looks like the cars bounced and then all hell broke loose. did it spit something out?
any word at all on what went wrong?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 09:24 PM   #6
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

As rod posted the throttle jammed wide open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 09:31 PM   #7
eb six on boost
NO CARBON TAX

and from that crash the nitro funny car meet at wsid, next month has beeb canned.
Atomic performance engine, powerglide, coan converter, gtx55 turbo, 2000hp plazmaman water to air, 100mm throttle body, twin 50mm gates, side exit exhausts, 18 x 2200cc injectors, ems 8860 and race dash.......
7.83 @ 177 MPH

1100+ rwhp @ 40psi

the first 7 second sohc ! eat it

1993 eb falcon 15.4 @ 90mph (tow car)
eb six on boost is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 09:37 PM   #8
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
As rod posted the throttle jammed wide open.
noticed that AFTER i had posted. that info wasnt there while i loaded the clip, watched it and wrote my post.
at least we know what happened.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 09:58 PM   #9
Rod

Both cars were on a mission with wheel stands past the 60ft timers.
Dobson got off it and appeared to be slowing when he scraped the wall on the right hand side of the car and causeing the body to shift, crushing the headers & jam the throttle wide open the car started to smoke the tyres and pick up speed, it then crossed over into the other lane just in front of Bailey before hitting the wall on the other side big time

whilist this car was totaly out of control after it hit the wall & the throttle jammed wide open Allan had the ability to shut the fuel shutoff

Ashley Bailey & the emergency crew helped Allan from the wreckage & it was with great amazement that Allan was only suffering a headache

the front of the car is a wreck but the engine & drive train appears fine

this is proof that a good chassis builder is worth every cent you pay him & that the Scruteneers at the track are there for OUR safety, next time you get a knock back for something thats not right on your car by a scruteneer just think of the conciquences that could happen if you ignor the simple safety requirements
Old 22-03-2005, 10:08 PM   #10
rodderz

Well worth the download, thanks rod

Reminds me how volatile top fuellers and funny cars are...one of my good mates has been in a pit crew of Russell Simpson and keith Agius, both who have had cars burst into flames. Russell's went on and off the throttle and virtually blew up, while Keith's brand new funny car went into flames at 3/4 track, veering across and hitting his oponent across the finish and both were in flames, both OK. I managed to get that all on camera sitting in the grandstand at calder, but havent seen the tape in over 10 years!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 10:10 PM   #11
rodderz

btw alan dobson is a great bloke too...used to sign the big Castrol posters and have a good yak when we went to the pit area as kids!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 10:24 PM   #12
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Bad luck, very expensive to... at least he walked away from it...i hope the next one gets a better color piant job..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 10:52 PM   #13
Xtreme F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol dobbo used to drive for Greg gower , my old boss, when greg had the Castrol funny car. From looking at the video it looks like he lifted cos the wheels where in the air and then he got back on it again and the wheels came straight back up and thats when the throttle stuck open. Hes a legend of a driver..

Silhouette FG F6 Xtreme Ford Tuning spec, Power so far 1100+RWHP

FG XR8 Ute 3 speed auto and converter and 9 inch XFT built 5.4 SCJ engine 4.0 litre Whipple 9.40 @ 148 mph Fastest Modular blown Falcon in Aus 4180pounds.

FG GS Miami/Coyote Ute Auto. XFT Xtreme 5.0 Coyote package 10.84 stock blower.

XFT F6E Stage III XFT Engine, stage III XFT ZF along with our new XFT Set up precision, quickest FG ZF with a 9.25@150 MPH

Last edited by Xtreme F6; 22-03-2005 at 10:53 PM.
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 11:03 PM   #14
Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-330
lol dobbo used to drive for Greg gower , my old boss, when greg had the Castrol funny car. From looking at the video it looks like he lifted cos the wheels where in the air and then he got back on it again and the wheels came straight back up and thats when the throttle stuck open. Hes a legend of a driver..

yes Simon
thats what i posted up above, but the throttle jamed when the body shifted on the chassis, thank "GOD" for the fuel shutoff otherwise he may have finished up over here in the east

regards
rod
Old 24-03-2005, 05:16 PM   #15
MYV8
Gota be happy with a Hump
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb six on boost
and from that crash the nitro funny car meet at wsid, next month has beeb canned.
Geez, I guess that means it will be fine weather in Sydney that weekend.
MYV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2005, 10:20 AM   #16
strife

duplicate

Last edited by strife; 28-03-2005 at 02:45 PM.
strife is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2005, 07:26 PM   #17
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Rods 1st post has the link also.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2005, 08:47 PM   #18
Magical_ED
FORDISMâ„¢

BUGGER ME, that was huge.
And where the car crossed the track and hit the wall, all the guys in the orange seem to be pulling something away from the wall. Me and my dad were trying to figure out what it was hopefully it wasnt a person that got hurt, just body pieces (from the car not a human lol)
Old 01-04-2005, 08:53 PM   #19
HOON69
Banned

ouch thats a hard hit..
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2005, 04:14 PM   #20
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical_ED
BUGGER ME, that was huge.
And where the car crossed the track and hit the wall, all the guys in the orange seem to be pulling something away from the wall. Me and my dad were trying to figure out what it was hopefully it wasnt a person that got hurt, just body pieces (from the car not a human lol)
That might be a wall that they can remove so emergency vehicles can access the track maybe?

Big hit tho! Glad to hear he is ok, looked pretty nasty..
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2005, 11:46 AM   #21
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Well worth the download, thanks rod

Reminds me how volatile top fuellers and funny cars are...one of my good mates has been in a pit crew of Russell Simpson and keith Agius, both who have had cars burst into flames. Russell's went on and off the throttle and virtually blew up, while Keith's brand new funny car went into flames at 3/4 track, veering across and hitting his oponent across the finish and both were in flames, both OK. I managed to get that all on camera sitting in the grandstand at calder, but havent seen the tape in over 10 years!

Gidday Rodderz... This reminds me, I have a "super 8" tape of the BIG "O"s (Larry Ormsby) Top Fueller in a huge crash at Calder when another Top Fueller (can't remember who it was, but it was black) got crossed up and straight into his path at around 1/2 track. It was absolutely horrific!!..I reckon I took this 25yrs ago! I wonder, can you get super 8 put on DVD?
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2005, 01:21 PM   #22
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYV8
Geez, I guess that means it will be fine weather in Sydney that weekend.
Don't even mention weather to Michael !!! Lol...
He was on a downer for weeks....
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post