Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 08-07-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
roxen
Starter Motor

Question Zetec LV 2010 rear rotors / brake pads

Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to driving so has no idea about the car maintenance apart from the scheduled servicing.

My car is Ford Focus Zetec LV 2010 with less than 60K on the clock. During the last service, I was recommended to change rear brake pads and rotors in 2-3K.

The only sound I've got now is when I release brake to go or when the car stops completely. It doesn't appear during slowing down when I'm using brakes.

So, my questions are:
1) Isn't my car still new to have such problems? I read that many drivers never needed to change rotors for the whole life of their car and that brake pads can last much longer.

2) If I'm about to change those, which brands including the model would you recommend me?

It's frustrating that my brakes got bad so quickly considering that I don't drive in the city and do less that 10K a year.

Thanks
Elena
roxen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 
Default Re: Zetec LV 2010 rear rotors / brake pads

1) One of the unfortunate surprises of owning a Focus - the rear pads / rotors wear out quickly. Mine only lasted 30K km (mostly urban driving at the time). Do a search on these forums - there are many examples like yours and mine.

2) The fix is to replace the original rotors and pads with something aftermarket, longer lasting. DBA rotors are a very popular option on these forums.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2015, 11:33 AM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxen View Post
Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to driving so has no idea about the car maintenance apart from the scheduled servicing.

My car is Ford Focus Zetec LV 2010 with less than 60K on the clock. During the last service, I was recommended to change rear brake pads and rotors in 2-3K.

The only sound I've got now is when I release brake to go or when the car stops completely. It doesn't appear during slowing down when I'm using brakes.

So, my questions are:
1) Isn't my car still new to have such problems? I read that many drivers never needed to change rotors for the whole life of their car and that brake pads can last much longer.

2) If I'm about to change those, which brands including the model would you recommend me?

It's frustrating that my brakes got bad so quickly considering that I don't drive in the city and do less that 10K a year.

Thanks
Elena
Who told you they need changing? If it was Ford please seek a 2nd opinion as they can have a habit of suggesting items are replaced well before they are due 'just in case'.

All items wear out over time, including Focus rotors. Yes, the rear pads will need to be replaced before the front ones and 60k km is actually a pretty good distance if they are still your first set.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2015, 12:32 PM   #4
roxen
Starter Motor

Thanks guys for the information. I would be nice to know the exact rotors and pads models you'd recommend. Otherwise, I'll google them.

And yes, I was given the advise to change brakes in Ford service center.

Elena

Last edited by roxen; 09-07-2015 at 12:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-07-2015, 01:26 PM   #5
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

DBA Street Series, and it can be part number 2119 for the Petrol, or 2109 for the Diesel, but check for yourself on the website.

For street use, just choose a reputable pad company, something like Bendix etc. should be fine for normal daily use
This user likes this post:
Old 09-07-2015, 04:03 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm on just over 90,000KM at the moment and still running OEM pads and rotors.

Whats a good suggestion for better stopping? I'm street use but having stronger brakes is always nice, don't want anything I have to warm up though.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2015, 04:58 PM   #7
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DBA or RDA slotted, EBC Green Pads (moderately dusty), which are a street-focus upgrade.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:06 PM   #8
roxen
Starter Motor

Thanks for your replies. I really appreciate that.

I'm in the process of research of "RDA vs DBA" toppic now. We'll see how it goes.