Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
blk6t

Default and what about FPV???

Amongst all the doom and gloom of Ford and to the same extent Holden, what is the long term plan for FPV, is it too late for FPV to start investing in other Ford models such as the Focus or Fiesta?

As we all know FPV's core business piggy backs off Ford's Falcon product, come 2016 and if the Falcon is finished, FPV will be in a sticky situation. I am sure FPV have a preliminary plan going forward but.....is that plan to either wind up shop or focus on another brands vehicle.

If FPV produced performance versions of the Fiesta or Focus several years ago, they could possibly continue operations beyond the Falcon platform, but as we know this has not happened.

You could also put HSV in the same basket, however given HSV has a much broarder larger customer base, it would be easier for HSV to adapt and focus on a HSV inspired Cruze for example.

Does anyone know what FPV's reaction has been so recent media stories or have any ideas what FPV could do post Falcon and could the ear marked 2014 Falcon update be FPV's final?

Old 12-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: and what about FPV???

Nothing seems to have come of their $40M engine program. They were spruiking about having followed Ford development and QA practice so that they could sell the engine back into the Ford world. Given that hasn't happened, I too wonder if they aren't hurting more than they let on.

Lukeyson
Old 12-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I can tell you FPV (moreso Prodrive) were just as in the dark as everyone else.

I cant for the life of me explain why the US would take our engine over a local S/C car over there. Unless they wanted something more civilized than their 5.8..Lincoln?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
Strap XR8

how hard would it be to slot a V8 into a AWD Taurus
Strap XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The old hairy chestnut...XR8 ?????
Old 12-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
blk6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strap XR8
That would be a mean machine
Old 12-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strap XR8
Anything is possible with enough money and resources...whether that would be a prudent use of the said money and resources is a different thing again...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
Windsor220
Now Fordless

If the Falcon is stopped here I'm guessing FPV will disappear. They dont seem to have much money as it is.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
RAPID_BA
Banned

What's uncertain to me is if ford or holden (and fpv hsv) pack up and leave, will we have a large car replacement from overseas or none at all like the demise of the mitsubishi 380 (magna). Then we are all jumping into mazda mps or mitsub evos.

I could live with a usa based large car with a boofy V8 in it, ford or chev. But none at all and I'd be dirty.

Remember when holden spooked everyone with the demise of the V8 in mid to late 90s. The next minute when the 5.7 ls1 arrived from overseas everything was forgotten.

Have we ever considered that any replacement from overseas dare I say might actually be better?
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
What's uncertain to me is if ford or holden (and fpv hsv) pack up and leave, will we have a large car replacement from overseas or none at all like the demise of the mitsubishi 380 (magna). Then we are all jumping into mazda mps or mitsub evos.

I could live with a usa based large car with a boofy V8 in it, ford or chev. But none at all and I'd be dirty.

Remember when holden spooked everyone with the demise of the V8 in mid to late 90s. The next minute when the 5.7 ls1 arrived from overseas everything was forgotten.

Have we ever considered that any replacement from overseas dare I say might actually be better?
Well isnt the word on the street that Ford want to make the Mustang a world car? We will probably drop the Falcon, have Mondeo as the largest family car in the stable and Mustang available for the enthusiasts.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:

The amazing thing with progression and technology is - that generally we embrace it and move on...

If something is no longer available, but is still in demand (ie: large rear wheel drive sedan) then we will find the closest alternative??

The thing with the speculation of the rumor of 'the death of the aussie built large car) be it Commodore or Falcon or both that end up discontinued is, FORD and HOLDEN still need to make cars and sell them - because that is what they do?

In the real world - what can an inline 6cyl rwd falcon sedan do that a v6 awd taurus sedan can't?

If that is of course what Ford are proposing replace the Falcon - If it does end up being discontinued?
Old 12-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I dont really see the value in these threads to be honest, we know its good for the next 4 years so we should be enjoying that and not thinking of negatives that mightnt even come to fruition. Its all the doom-talk that doesnt do anyone any good, plus really positive news was only just announced.

In the short term Prodrive are looking at a parts business which might or might not involve just local product.

I even know of supplier for Ford and Holden who have diversified greatly over the past few years. If the local gusy continue then great, if not then they need backup plans too.

New slogan, "Buy a new Falcon, it would be unaustralian not too".
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 12-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #13
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

And I thought the media was bad.

If I was in the market for a new falcon and stumbled by this site in my research I would run from the falcon.

Doom and gloom in every section of the forum for something that may or may not happen.

should be thread locks on all threads about what could happen in 4 years time regarding the falcon
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #14
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Giant Cranium

You are not wrong. There is no way I would get my wife to check out the Territory section, she would turn away and never look back.

Even for myself, it's hard to ignore some of the competition to be honest, but there are some pretty good benefits if I go Ford! enough to make me completely disregard other options? is not decided yet.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #15
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Mmm FPV imports and converts Mustangs as well as adding their own spice (i.e. Coyote). Thats what they can do IF there is no large car being sold by Ford Aus to tinker with.

I strongly beleive Falcon will continue in some form, whether it be an aussie derived design based off a global platform, or a slightly facelifted American import, some form of large sedan will be sold by Ford for the forseeable future.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #16
Strap XR8

Au ford turbo 6 in a mustang
Strap XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #17
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

IMO it would be a waste of time for FPV to divert away from Falcon. Ford just merged TeamRS and SVT under Jost Capito to handle their performance cars as a start. They have already confirmed Fiesta and Focus ST models, and a Fusion/Mondeo ST will surely follow. When/if theres demand for more RS level cars, they too will be responsible for them. Regardless of which i dont think its economically feasible for a local company to try their hand on an imported model and both be competitive in the market and profitable.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #18
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Its the internet, im sure there is a stamp forum where people complain about stuff aswell.

The modern consumer is a weird person, can be highly informed like never before but also soaks up consumerism like its going out of fashion.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 12-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #19
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
Nothing seems to have come of their $40M engine program. They were spruiking about having followed Ford development and QA practice so that they could sell the engine back into the Ford world. Given that hasn't happened, I too wonder if they aren't hurting more than they let on.

Lukeyson
Oh really,
FPV have had a much better year thanks to that $40 million, sales have bounced back bigger than 2010,
Sales of V8s dominate with 1,288 lucky S/C buyers being 78% of FPV's business but I-6T has dropped to 361.

I wonder, maybe get rid of the I-6T and just build a NA 5.0 V8 instead for an all V8 line up, couldn't hurt....
Surely, FPV would make more out of sourcing their own engine than a Ford supplied one...

jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #20
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I would love Ford to take the I6T back and FPV have a localised 5.0 NA for the GS.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 12-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #21
RAPID_BA
Banned

What are ford supposed to do? They have offered a substantially better car than they did in 1995 and charge thereabouts the same price model for model. Yet they can only sell a fraction of them and to only the most loyal ford fans.

Let's be frank, over past 10-15 years other car makers have cut our lunch, offered a credible alternative for families and fleets that does the job for $22000 drive away, cut our lunch despite fords considerable value proposition compared with 1995, Many former ford customers have looked left and right and bought these cheaper offerings thinking noone would notice.

Its those same people which will march the streets saying no when ford pull the pin on local production.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Wrong Forum, we're discussing FPV here, not competition to regular Falcons from $22,000 small cars.

Don't blame the customer when they don't buy your products but equally,
FPV should be pleased that the new S/C V8 has grown sales in it's first full year,
2011 was a cow of a year, 2012 looks a little brighter and better for performance sales...

Last edited by jpd80; 12-01-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #23
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
What are ford supposed to do? They have offered a substantially better car than they did in 1995 and charge thereabouts the same price model for model. Yet they can only sell a fraction of them and to only the most loyal ford fans.

Let's be frank, over past 10-15 years other car makers have cut our lunch, offered a credible alternative for families and fleets that does the job for $22000 drive away, cut our lunch despite fords considerable value proposition compared with 1995, Many former ford customers have looked left and right and bought these cheaper offerings thinking noone would notice.

Its those same people which will march the streets saying no when ford pull the pin on local production.
bloody hell hulk. multiple posts that i agree with today. big ups
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #24
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

How many months did FPV have no Euro4 V8 product?
Old 12-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #25
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:

What large sedan segment car is $22k?

Sure, people are headed to different classes but is Fords fault for not embracing it to the point of even killing Falcon production Aus and replacing it with something more viable and continuing to sell an imported version of it.

Either way, when Ford shuts down local production the only people protesting will be those losing their jobs, the majority of the general public wont give a toss.

FPV, on the other hand, they can simply be the "performance arm" of whatever products Ford Australia sells, be it rwd/fwd/2wd/4wd/3wd who gives a toss. Their name does not suggest it is Falcon Performance Vehicles nor rwd large sedan vehicles. It will soldier on, whatever Ford Aus/HQ call is.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #26
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
How many months did FPV have no Euro4 V8 product?

That was in 2010 not this year. But they did grow their sales by 47%.....with mainly V8 sales. If the economy can pick up then so will FPV sales.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #27
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The revenue from Falcon Ute and Territory is still up around $1.2 billion or about half of all revenue......

If we kill Falcon, Ute and Territory, what will replace that lost $1.2 billion, an untried car from another country?
Old 12-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #28
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Yes, a Taurus. Which shares the DNA of styling that new focus and future mondeo share. At least there will be continuity in the product styling. If Taurus cant sell here, Focus shouldnt and nor should the next Mondeo.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #29
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Current Taurus offers nothing over FG2 Falcon other that tech levels such as MyFord Touch and SYNC. Packaging wise it is heavier and larger for much the same interior space, and is dynamically worse.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
Yes, a Taurus. Which shares the DNA of styling that new focus and future mondeo share.
You say that so flippantly and if it was that easy Ford would have done it with FG in 2008.....

A future Falcon and Territory sharing Mustang/F150 power trains and electrical systems would also give around the same scales of economy...