Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-03-2006, 10:46 PM   #1
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default One for the Books!

Very rarely does Ford have an original part cheaper than the wreckers!

I can feel your heads nodding while I type.

Today I rang FTG Auto Salvage for a price on 2 Series 3 side white indicator lenses. I have bought some interior lights from them before, good service,very good price.

For my interest, rang Ford (15 mins away) and I nearly fell off my chair. Brand new parts for $6 cheaper.

That's gotta be one for the books! :1syellow1

I got them in a flash and got them on the Series 2 SR 5 mins after getting home.

GK

GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2006, 10:51 PM   #2
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Very rarely does Ford have an original part cheaper than the wreckers!

I can feel your heads nodding while I type.

Today I rang FTG Auto Salvage for a price on 2 Series 3 side white indicator lenses. I have bought some interior lights from them before, good service,very good price.

For my interest, rang Ford (15 mins away) and I nearly fell off my chair. Brand new parts for $6 cheaper.

That's gotta be one for the books! :1syellow1

I got them in a flash and got them on the Series 2 SR 5 mins after getting home.

GK
omg , did you inform FTG that you could get them cheaper new ? , im sure they would of nearlly halfed their price , at least knocked 1/3 rd off the originl price new . ?? ... lol , yeah you was right , i was nodding my head as reading your comment ..lol ;)

oh , by the way , what did ford charge you for them each ? , just out of curiosity ?

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
omg , did you inform FTG that you could get them cheaper new ? , im sure they would of nearlly halfed their price , at least knocked 1/3 rd off the originl price new . ?? ... lol , yeah you was right , i was nodding my head as reading your comment ..lol ;)
I didn't think of that! :

In any case, there was still a bit of postage on top of that and I'd have to wait a few days.

You know how it is, sometimes a little mod, even a tiny one like this gives you ants in the pants! :

I'll keep that in mind though for next time! Thanks for the tip!

GK
Old 30-03-2006, 11:21 PM   #4
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
I didn't think of that! :

In any case, there was still a bit of postage on top of that and I'd have to wait a few days.

You know how it is, sometimes a little mod, even a tiny one like this gives you ants in the pants! :

I'll keep that in mind though for next time! Thanks for the tip!

GK

Yeah sh|te happens , but hey - if you need something , you need it , i know what ya mean ..lol , next-time huh ! ;) ..lol , how much did ford charge for each ?

Old 30-03-2006, 11:24 PM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK

BLOODY HELL!!!!! What's going on there? The last time I heard of something cheaper at ford was when my uncle was the spares manager.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 01:49 AM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

They're around $15 each from Ford.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 05:37 AM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
They're around $15 each from Ford.
One dealer said "About $20 each"

FTG said "$20 each plus postage"

Another dealer said "$16.70 plus GST"

GK
Old 31-03-2006, 10:00 AM   #8
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Actually cheaper than i thought they would be , i was expecting something rediculous like around 50 each ( i know the parts aren't much ! , but it wouldn't of suprised me ! )..lol

Old 31-03-2006, 12:07 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Actually cheaper than i thought they would be , i was expecting something rediculous like around 50 each ( i know the parts aren't much ! , but it wouldn't of suprised me ! )..lol
I was pleasantly surprised too! Definately one for the books I'd say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEL
What's going on there? The last time I heard of something cheaper at ford was when my uncle was the spares manager.
Man, would that be a good contact to have!

GK
Old 31-03-2006, 12:18 PM   #10
AU:PROJECT:UTE
Drought Breaker

Talking Working in Parts

Its the one benefit I have found useful of working in parts.
Only downside is all my mates are continuously hitting me up for cost price on everything and terrible rates of pay! Lucky for my mates I give in easy e
ALL COUNTRY: SW Platt Mccann 5 Poster, GME 4706 7' Whippys, Uniden UH015SX UHF AND Scanner combo, Narva Taurus Bull lights, Hawk Grille, Series II Pursuit Side Skirts, Stickers on the back window and more eartags than a mob of cranky angus

ALL GO: XR6 VCT donk and ECU NO MORE!!
Now even MORE fun with 200kw XR8 and 5 speed, Tickford Cluster, 3.45 LSD, full custom twin system w/- 3" chrome angle cut tips :
AU:PROJECT:UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 04:42 PM   #11
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

i bought mine on ebay from Bayford $40 total incl P&H last wednesday. arrived this wednesday. haven't put em on yet, trying to dodge this Cat 4 cyclone yesterday. are they easy to pull off or should they be levered off?
Old 31-03-2006, 04:55 PM   #12
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndArdAU
i bought mine on ebay from Bayford $40 total incl P&H last wednesday. arrived this wednesday. haven't put em on yet, trying to dodge this Cat 4 cyclone yesterday. are they easy to pull off or should they be levered off?
Easy as.

From the Series 1 manual p126:

With a flat bladed screwdriver gently prise the lamp's rear edge away from the panel while sliding the lamp forward.

Unscrew the bulb holder by turning anti-clockwise. Re-insert into new lens cover, and replace the lens cover on the panel by snapping (gently) back into position.

It's a 1 minute job each side.

Hope all went well with the Cyclone! That didn't come out right! I hope you made it ok, and those dear to you are safe and well.

GK
Old 31-03-2006, 06:04 PM   #13
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

cheers i should propably try to find a manual one day. bah cyclones mate my town is built for em, not like the unfortunate Innisfail. We all get a day off work and drink p!ss. only thing i was woorried about waws taking my Foxtel digital dish off the roof.

I missed WWE RAW because of it. and had to watch the eagles play st kilda in the snow... on NINE
Old 31-03-2006, 06:28 PM   #14
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

on a completely different subject has anyone heard of this thing called a 'Hiclone' for installation. Apparently saves fuel www.fuelsaver.com.au

looks dodgy.
Old 31-03-2006, 06:49 PM   #15
LOWAU

you dont need a screwdriver just push them towards the front of the car then out...

HICLONE yeah have heard of it meant to make the air turbulate(<-if thats a word) my cousin put one on his magna and he didnt notice any difference, but then again thats a different car...imo the amount you spend on it dats probly how much youl save over a few years...
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 08:07 PM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWAU
you dont need a screwdriver just push them towards the front of the car then out...

HICLONE yeah have heard of it meant to make the air turbulate(<-if thats a word) my cousin put one on his magna and he didnt notice any difference, but then again thats a different car...imo the amount you spend on it dats probly how much youl save over a few years...
Exactly ... I found it with mine ... was going to use a screwdriver and found I could push them and pop them out ... easy. All up ... 1 minute maximum per light (incuding changing the globe as well).

Nice easy upgrade .... also T-series interior pieces can be had from Ford for a decent price ... and in better condition than from wreckers too. Ford has been fairly handy ... I think they have upped their game with spare parts pricing .. they have found they haven't been competitive.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 09:48 AM   #17
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Tis true GK that NEW parts are mostly dearer than..... pre loved parts? :P But many people will go STRAIGHT to the wreckers and buy without EVER giving the NEW parts a chance?
I once worked for a wrecker and was ALWAYS surprised at how many people want to buy second hand BRAKES and STEERING parts?

Maybe next time you NEED a part for your car you will consider the 0.40c phone call?
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 06:21 PM   #18
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf
Tis true GK that NEW parts are mostly dearer than..... pre loved parts? :P But many people will go STRAIGHT to the wreckers and buy without EVER giving the NEW parts a chance?
I once worked for a wrecker and was ALWAYS surprised at how many people want to buy second hand BRAKES and STEERING parts?

Maybe next time you NEED a part for your car you will consider the 0.40c phone call?
I'll be doing it more often now. A few calls @15 cents each is no probs at all!

GK
Old 01-04-2006, 06:37 PM   #19
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Did you get the bulbs aswell mate?

They are seriously the first mod I would do to any AU, i even got a set for my grandmas AU Forte which eventually got written off, I SHOULD have got them back off it but I couldnt be bothered...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 06:41 PM   #20
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
Did you get the bulbs aswell mate?

They are seriously the first mod I would do to any AU, i even got a set for my grandmas AU Forte which eventually got written off, I SHOULD have got them back off it but I couldnt be bothered...
Yep, just put them in about 20mins ago! Looks good.

GK
Old 01-04-2006, 08:19 PM   #21
HOTC2R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
One dealer said "About $20 each"

FTG said "$20 each plus postage"

Another dealer said "$16.70 plus GST"

GK
Did that include amber globes???
HOTC2R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 09:25 PM   #22
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC2R
Did that include amber globes???
No globes included, I got those from Autobarn today @ $4 for 2.

$36 odd all up. A nice looking, low cost mod!

GK