Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-09-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Default Young bloke after work in or around Bayswater. Little help?

I'm after work, personally I figure there's no harm in mentioning that here. Sometimes you just never know your luck, right? That's the saying, isn't it? Well, here goes.

My story is this...

I'm 20 years old. Silly, but not stupid. Raised to work hard and enjoy doing just that. Currently doing furniture removals for a mob in Dandenong South, as I have been for almost two years now (December first, to be precise, 2004) and quite enjoying it, as weird as that may sound. It keeps me strong, I'm always active, always meeting new people and occassionally headed to a spot in the countryside where I haven't yet travelled. Sure, I lift couches, but as routine as that sounds, I enjoy it.

However, as I said, my timecard sits on the wall in Dandenong South. I've gotta be clocked on by 7am each morning, my travels beginning in Bayswater, about 20-30 minutes away. And that's in the mornings, before the afternoon chaos hits Stud Rd (occassionally even slowing down the Monash Freeway) which so often turns it into a 40 minute or more drive home. Not the most pleasant of trips to begin with. After 21 months, it becomes even more bothersome. Now, imagine trying to do it without a license. Yup, I've gotta hand my license in by the 24th of September, meaning I can either track down a pushbike or live life the way of the shoe. On foot.

For this reason, I've taken the week off work. Gotta find a new job, see. Too much travellin', see. So I've been looking round, here and there, and while wandering the streets of Bayswater this morning I thought of the forums.

Read on...

I want to work with cars. Damned if I know exactly what I want to do. Just want to work with cars. Preferably learning tricks and whatnot that can be applied to the '75 XB Fairmont that sits in my garage at this very moment in time. New cars interest me, not so much. But surely there's gotta be somewhere out there, especially with the amount of workshops and the like in and around Bayswater, that deals with the older cars. My main problem is, I don't know where to look. If I wanted to flip burgers, I'd be doing it by now. Swiping cards and loading trolleys, not a problem. Like I said, I can be silly at times, but I'm not stupid.

The two jobs I'm waiting to hear back about right now which interest me the most are as a runner doing the hard rubbish collections at a place I worked before I started doing the removals (fittest I've ever been, working there) and helping an old bloke out on a farm up Bendigo-way (tough stuff, but did it on school holidays years back and paid damn well). So there's not really a great deal of potential there, and I'm still not really looking at my XB with a whole lot more knowledge than I'm currently packing.

So if there's anyone on here, reading this, that run a workshop, or work at one that may be looking for someone who doesn't mind a bit of hard work and is more than willing to learn, please, let me know. Or let someone in charge know and get them to get ahold of me. I'm not expecting a whole lot, but I figure this joint's gotta be worth a shot. The dream would be to find a restorer of classics and uniques who's basically after an all-rounder. I mean, a bit of this or that would be good enough, but to be able to watch a completed car roll out the door and to have learnt a slice of various aspects of the build would be fantastic.

My XB is something I plan to work on for a great many years. I'm basically hoping to do as much of the work myself as possible. Not to save money, more for the experience and I guess, in a way, the pride. Oh, and as a young bloke, bragging rights are probably in there somewhere too. _2:

So if there's anyone out there who might fit the profile, is in the area (a little bit of travel isn't so bad, I can't be too picky) and is looking for someone to mould into the next 'Legend Of Street Machining' (or similar), let me know and I'm more than happy to pass on whatever info you may need.

Like I said, it can't hurt to try.

Woz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 06:18 PM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Woz you come across as well spoken and intelligent, i'm sure you will find you're niche eventually.
I work with a couple of bricklayers from Kilsyth, they are always looking for apprentices (most can't tolerate the hard work) if you are interested let me know and i'll speak to them.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 06:35 PM   #3
RACINGdork
bf xr6t + 351 xe esp weee

if you know how to weld give apa in kilsyth a call. they make gas tanks, and im pretty sure they'd be pretty busy at the moment :
RACINGdork is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 08:00 PM   #4
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Start a new job at 5:15 tomorrow morning. Back on the hard rubbish. That didn't take long.

However, the reason I started on the furniture in the first place is because this mob shuts down over Christmas for two weeks. So unless I'm wise and save my pennies for the two week break, I may very well be looking for something new halfway through December.

Keep me in mind, everyone.

Falcon Coupe, I may chase you up around this time as the old man was a bricklayer for many years and it was something I wanted to do around 17-18 until he talked me out of it (strain on the body, possible limit of years with no real reward at the end, along with the dramas he went through with the BLF putting him off slightly).

And no, I haven't got any experience in welding, but it's something I wish to learn. Stuff like that would be cool, but welding gas tanks sounds a bit routine and limited to one area. Similar reason to why I walked straight past Unique Exhausts this morning, seems too narrow a field. (Photos may be hitting the Project section very soon of a Capri or perhaps even a Gemini as myself and a mate chase this up, along with a few other things we're yet to dabble in.)

I'm hoping to maybe find a suggestion pop up more closely relating to what I'm looking for. As I said, I want to learn as much as I can about restoring cars (or even just being able to work on them as much as one man possibly can). With the XB looking to get a major overhaul, everything from body work to interior to running gear is in my sights. So please, I look forward to any direction you people can push me in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Woz you come across as well spoken and intelligent
The internet can be very deceiving, at times. :monkes:
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 08:06 PM   #5
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz
The internet can be very deceiving, at times. :monkes:
I can't kick a bloke when he's down, i'll tell you what i really think when you are back on you're feet.... :evil_laug

Good luck with the new job.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 08:12 PM   #6
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
I can't kick a bloke when he's down, i'll tell you what i really think when you are back on you're feet.... :evil_laug
I'll hold him down for you. :
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 08:22 PM   #7
rodderz

Nick is right Woz, with an attitude like that, you'll have no dramas getting a gig somewhere. Word travels fast of good quality workers in this age of slacko's

My only advice is that once you're up and going with license again look ahead to using that attitude into setting up a career, and maybe eventually your own business. The hard yards done now can be a great help into setting you up for later on
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 08:33 PM   #8
Kenster

hey woz know how you feel about looking for a job with something do with cars. Im in the same boat but im only currently working in a factory area as a casual keep on looking for a apprenticeship as a mechanic when i can.

Wish you luck in finding the job you like and good luck with the job.
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 08:38 PM   #9
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done on getting another job so fast, and just remember you need to start saving up big time...

There is a wonderful friend visiting you in February : :

Good luck for tomorrow... I know you won't need it..

(gee, so many are getting or have gotten new jobs... fantastic)..
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 09:12 PM   #10
Damo
Banned

Doing Hard rubbish with CWH ?

Good luck with the new job!
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #11
Ringo
I see you....

Hard rubbish collection - now there's an easy job !!

The public come and pick up half the stuff that residents leave out for you pick up.

Thats a good idea for a thread.....hard rubbish stories....I'll create one now.

After all - no bloke can go past a pile of crap on a naturestrip without a little looksee.....its like chicks n shoe stores

Anyway back on topic - Your attitude converted into actions is truly worth something....so many unreliable slackers out there who think that turning up entitles them to a wage its not farken funny....

My 20 year old brat brother in law is one of them !! He did have a job for 1 1/2 weeks...got the sack for multiple issues ranging from being late (more than once) to smoking on premisis to losing stuff.....he turned around and called himself 'a victim' of the Government new IR laws...hello...you were on probation and you didn't pass idiot.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post