Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 02-08-2005, 03:08 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default What's the point of.........

The Resonator Box for the Focus Airbox? I'm talking about the tall plastic box directly next to the airbox, has a very small intake from the box and from what I can see it serves absolutely no purpose.

Anyone know why its there?

Old 02-08-2005, 03:41 PM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I remember reading somewhere that it is designed to lower the intake sound of the system. ie. if it was just the airbox, it would be louder. But I'm no acoustic engineer so can't explain it any further.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 03:55 PM   #3
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Here is a blurb i kept in my bookmarks when I wondered why the E0series V8's had the donut tube on the air intake

"Resonant RPM: The airbox and inlet tube will resonate at a certain RPM. This will allow it to pass air better at this RPM and increase power there. In an airbox system the airbox itself acts as an air spring. The mass of air in the inlet pipes act on this air spring. The system resonates and passes air easier when the inlet pulses are timed just right (similar to pushing somebody on a swing. It is easy if you time the pushes just right).

Resonant RPM =19,100 *square root ((116.5 *Inlet Cross-Sectional Area))/(Air Box Volume)(Inlet Pipe Length) this is for a 4 cylinder 4 cycle engine."

If you are mad keen on understanding the science go here
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Airboxes.html

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 02:17 PM   #4
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Nice. Simple but effective. The only thing is if you change you filter to a High-flow does that affect this "spring" rate at all?
Old 03-08-2005, 06:04 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Hmm well I took it off at the dealers today for the drive home - cold day so plenty of cold air around but as i expected it didnt make any noticable difference.
Im thinking it might be a good spot to get more air into the box - the standard intake really has me puzzled as to how it gets any air at all into there. Its a tiny entry into the box from the side but I might try making the entry bigger, putting a flexible pipe in there and running it to well, somewhere, to get more cold air. I know it probably wouldnt do much but I'll probably give it a go anyway.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:38 AM   #6
Resty
Amon of Focus

Mines out, soudns louder. No gains, just there to muffle sound.
Resty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post