Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 29-07-2005, 10:52 PM   #1
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Default Return of the engine

Howdy all,

Just thought I'd say after putting up with my car slowly dying a painful death in terms of performance and not knowing what the hell was going on for months and months as many of you may know (and Dealers not being able to diagnose it) it decided to let go one day and really started chugging at 3,000rpm, nothing above 4,000rpm, thought it was pretty serious... had an engine braking problem for a long time. It gave up last week and drove fine below 3,000rpm but had a metallic ring to it above 3,000rpm which I thought might be pinging, but it felt very flat, restricted and like something was blocked or unplugged perhaps.

WELL!! After a trip to the Dealer and a new catalytic converter replaced under warranty (took them less than half an hour to nail what was wrong!! it is absolutely on fire. I didn't realise how much it had been dropping performance for ages, now it can spin the tyres in second on a tight corner!!! Excellent experience at one of the new Brand @ Retail dealers in Melbourne, loved the experience and came away not only pleased with the treatment, but in a new found love for my car!! He'll be staying in my garage a little while longer now I think!!! I think the reason I was so amazed at the Mk II was comparing to my Mk I it felt like a V8... not so sure anymore :jab:

The Zetec lives to fight another day! The exhaust is much louder and deeper, it crackels, pops, hisses and farts and sounds truly feral. For those of you who've heard my car in full health, it's a spine tingling little number when it hits full noise, but a great cruising exhaust. It's back and will be screaming it's lungs out at the next cruise!!!!!!!

Old 30-07-2005, 08:33 AM   #2
whippet_zetec
Supes

thats great Matt that you have finally found the problem.....hope you get alot of trouble free km's from now on
Old 30-07-2005, 09:13 AM   #3
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Great to hear Matt. It is a snarly little beast your car. And I know how happy you'll be having it back to its crackling, popping, farting best.

Give us a clue on the dealer location. We need to look after the good ones
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 01:16 PM   #4
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Great to hear you've got it runing properly again mate.

I can't wait to hear it again, that is one of the best sounding 4 cylinder cars I've heard (almost as good as some of the beasts at Small Ford Sunday)
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 05:07 PM   #5
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I couldn't be happier with it at the moment. It wouldn't be a true car with a spirit if it didn't give it's fair share of cheek from time to time I reckon, all about character!! Sounds like I'm talking about a French car not a German one!!

Dealer was Bayfords in Epping, their new shiny Brand@Retail dealership up there. A hike for most of you, but was well worth the trouble. Naturally I only work 10mins away so it's easy for me! Highly recommended.

I too hope I have many happy kilometres of trouble free motoring! You wanna co-pilot again for Mt Macedon Troy?
Old 30-07-2005, 05:14 PM   #6
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I too hope I have many happy kilometres of trouble free motoring! You wanna co-pilot again for Mt Macedon Troy?
I'd be happy to mate, gotta get my euro ford fix somehow

Besides, I wouldn't want to miss that one - I miss out on way too many cruises :(
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post