Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 26-07-2005, 09:46 PM   #1
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Default K&N Panel filter

A few weeks back i installed a K&N panel filter in my focus. Never really noticed any sucking noises untill today. Some suspension guys were looking at installing a strut brace and had to remove the pipe going between the airbox and throttle body to try and make it fit, and i have a feeling they may not have put it back they way it should be. I am worried the sucking noises could possibly be a leak either at the airbox or throttle body..... It happens at about 4500 rpm and above and seems to be coming from the throttle body area.

Could all those forum members who have a BMC or K&N filter installed just give me an idea if they get any sucking sounds around that rev range.

Also, if i did have a leak, would it sound like a sucking sound or more like whining or anything else.

Thanks in advance

Tom

chevaps is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2005, 11:41 PM   #2
Mick K.

I'm picking up a K&N panel for my Focus on Thurs ($94.99 :() so I can let you know then.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2005, 12:55 AM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

I have a K&N and i dont get any noticable induction noise from inside the car, to be honest ive never listened for it outside the car. Where can you hear yours from? Im guessing when youre inside the car?
Old 27-07-2005, 12:57 AM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick K.
I'm picking up a K&N panel for my Focus on Thurs ($94.99 :() so I can let you know then.

MK
yikes, where is that price from? im in country nsw and i paid $80.
Old 27-07-2005, 01:19 AM   #5
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Nope no real audible difference. Very faint whistle kinda sound compared to stock. Get it checked out to be safe.
Old 27-07-2005, 09:50 AM   #6
whippet_zetec
Supes

pop your bonnet and check the seals around each section yourself while the engine is running and you should still be able to hear if there is any air sucking through from somewhere is isnt supposed to be....
Old 27-07-2005, 10:23 AM   #7
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I have a BMC. No audible induction sound at all to my ear. I think it is far more likely that something hasn't been sealed up properly. Has the resonator box been fitted back properly?? A lot of guys in the states remove the resonator box in order to GIVE them a loud induction noise
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2005, 02:52 PM   #8
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Nope no real audible difference. Very faint whistle kinda sound compared to stock. Get it checked out to be safe.
Thats what im getting, not a whistling sound though. A very feint, but sudden whooshing sound when the engine hits around 4500-5000rpm. Its the sound you hear when you suddenly blip the throttle at idle, and you get this short WHOOSH!!! sound. Im just thinking that if it was a leak, i would probably hear it throughout the whole rev range.

I cant hear it from the cabin with the windows shut, but when the window is down and the bonnet popped up i can hear it when i rev.

I double checked everything this morning to make sure the ends are sitting as far as they're meant to be (ie, at the stops), and the o-clamps are as tights as they'll go.

My only guess is that it made the sound before, but i just didnt hear it or pay attention to it. I prolly noticed it coz i knew that the guys fiddled around with it.... paranoia sets in.... LOL

Tom
Old 27-07-2005, 06:24 PM   #9
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Don't do up the hose clamps too tightly, especially the one round the throttle body.

Remember, on the focus, the factory Ford throttle body is a crappy piece of plastic, and you can easily apply too much torque to the hose clamp and crack it.

The whole induction setup on the Focus comes out very easily, one minute max. Just check connections, the one that is commonly left incorrectly fitted is the ducting from the front of the grill to the airbox, under the battery, at the airbox end. The airbox just pushes in place, and if the ducting isn't correctly fitted, you'll get problems there. The ducting just clips into place at the airbox end also (yes, the car is a snap together toy).

I never really noticed an induction noise with my K+N until I fitted a pod filter setup (with lots of induction noise), and then went back to the K+N panel filter for a day to test the changes, and still noticed a noise.

So long as you haven't cracked anything anywhere (like the throttle body, MAF fitting etc), and its all pushed in place (including the positive crankcase ventilation pipe - the one from your rocker cover to the bottom of the airbox), then it's all you can really check to be sure it's working ok.

From your description, it sounds exactly like my K+N panel drop in setup. As you say, if it was over the whole rev range I'd guess leak, but as you have described it, it's normal in my opinion (from your description, my experience, and not having seen it).

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2005, 06:29 PM   #10
Mick K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
yikes, where is that price from? im in country nsw and i paid $80.
Autobarn in Brissie - also tried Repco and Supercheap and e-mailed the Aus distributor who said to try Autobarn, Repco and Supercheap!

Autobarn was the first place who said they exist - Repco and Supercheap didn't have cars post 1999 in their K&N catalogs and never got back to me with the prices.

I get it tomorrow - so that's the way it goes!

MK
Old 27-07-2005, 06:52 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yeah, Im surprised though. Usually its the other way round - me whinging about how cheap you guys get all your stuff in the city!
Old 28-07-2005, 02:33 AM   #12
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
The ducting just clips into place at the airbox end also (yes, the car is a snap together toy).
LOL, im noticing it more and more, it doesnt really bug me, its the overall engineering that counts. But what ever happened to those old lasers, falcons and such, NO PLASTIC whatsoever, all metal, built ford tough!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
Just check connections, the one that is commonly left incorrectly fitted is the ducting from the front of the grill to the airbox, under the battery, at the airbox end.
I already checked this when is was installing the filter and no issues, but DAMN i noticed how small it is. Major restrictions there. The inlet hole for the airbox is tiny. Soon ill be attacking it with a 3" hole saw, finding some suitable fittings to seal the edges of the new hole and fitting a 3" silicon pipe (or plastic :P) and running it to the old or a new snorkel, that should get some more air running into it.

Tom
Old 28-07-2005, 07:05 AM   #13
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

I agree, the hole is tiny. There is heaps of room to do what you are considering. With the exception of the engine mount below the airbox, there's a whole lot of free space there.

Let us know what you eventually do with it all!

Tim
Old 28-07-2005, 01:15 PM   #14
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevaps
LOL, im noticing it more and more, it doesnt really bug me, its the overall engineering that counts. But what ever happened to those old lasers, falcons and such, NO PLASTIC whatsoever, all metal, built ford tough!!

I already checked this when is was installing the filter and no issues, but DAMN i noticed how small it is. Major restrictions there. The inlet hole for the airbox is tiny. Soon ill be attacking it with a 3" hole saw, finding some suitable fittings to seal the edges of the new hole and fitting a 3" silicon pipe (or plastic :P) and running it to the old or a new snorkel, that should get some more air running into it.

Tom
Built Ford tough = Built heavy... no thanks I prefer lightweight plastic. Cheaper to replace in an accident too.

As for the airbox, the Focus Performance Handbook states the stock airbox is not really restrictive at all unless you go Turbo. In all honesty unless you whack in a chip, airbox mods do very little. A car won't suck in more air unless it knows it has to.
Old 28-07-2005, 04:28 PM   #15
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

This mod wont really mean its sucking in heaps more air, just planning on removing restrictions, the inlet hole for the airbox is smaller tha a ping pong ball...

I dont think removing restrictions produces lots more power at the fly, but gives more available power at the wheels.... if that makes sense.

Making an engine more free flowing will mean less of the power generated by the other cylinders will be wasted in working hard to SUCK air into the chamber, thus more useable power. I have a feeling removing restrictions will have a similar effect as installing an underdrive pulley. No more power is being produced, just more available power to use in motion.

My theory could be wrong though :

Tom
Old 28-07-2005, 09:07 PM   #16
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Your theory has some rights and wrongs.

Where you are right is here: anything that is restricting the engine is taking away horsepower from it. The less restrictions, the more horsepower. That's why the engine performs better with the air conditioning off.

But power at the fly is directly translated to the wheels. Gearbox / driveline losses do not differ with the modifications we're talking about, so from the flywheel to the ground, nothing changes. Any changes felt at the wheels are also felt at the fly.

By the way, the Focus Performance book does show a constant 5hp or so increase with a pod filter setup over the airbox. It's not huge but its noticeable when you're only playing with 100kw or so. From a seat of the pants feeling, I can notice the difference in my car with the Racing Works Induction Kit.

However, it will still only provide a 5hp increase for mildly tuned engines, it's not beyond crap, but it can be improved. Anytime you can increase airflow available to the engine, the better off it will be. In this case, where most people don't modify anything in their engine except the cat back exhaust, it's not worth changing unless you want that little bit extra, and a sweet induction noise.

Anyways, all good. Tim
Old 28-07-2005, 09:12 PM   #17
Mick K.

I'm thinking of getting the ST170 snorkel (about $180 parts price) which is quite a bit larger in diameter than the standard snorkel and requires either enlarging the hole in the airbox or also forking out for an ST170 airbox.

Apparently this helps the airflow a bit. I'll find some pics.

MK
Old 28-07-2005, 11:55 PM   #18
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I checked about 12 months ago. Ford wanted something like $550 for the ST Box!!!!! AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHH!!!

So I didn't bother.

I am still tossing around the idea of fitting a Pipercross Viper, but you have to hack into the battery box to fit it, and I am not hugely keen on that.

We'll see.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2005, 12:45 AM   #19
b2tf
not here much anymore

Having not looked into this much yet (but wanting to do something about it), apart from bigger intake pipe, what else can be done? Im not keen on putting a pod in and making a heatshield, but from what I can see of the intake system, its a rather stupid design.

$180 for a bit of pipe doesnt seem right! :
Old 29-07-2005, 08:55 PM   #20
Mick K.

Ford in the UK have the part for:

ST Snorkel: 4359190 Tube Assy - Air ~ £21 inc vat

21 quid these days is only about $50 aussie. I'd be scouring eBay. Hang on - I will be scouring eBay, so you should just buy one from a dealer and let me know about any you see going cheap on eBay! I don't need the competition :

MK

Last edited by Mick K.; 29-07-2005 at 09:04 PM.