Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 06-01-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
mrdave
Starter Motor

Default telstar gearbox, probably been answered before

Just signed up. Have read previous posts, couldn't pinpoint what I wanted.

I've just bought a 1985 TX5 ghia.

All Ok except for a gearbox drama. Changes up OK, selects reverse everytime with no noise or jamming. But.. dropping down from fourth to third, it just wont go into third. Going up is no problem, but dropping down a is a no-go. I have to drop speed to go from fourth to second.

Any ideas?

Also, where in S.A. can I locate a cheap second hand or recon box, or someone who is known to be reliable to have a look at this problem for me.

Cheers folks,

Dave.

mrdave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
chipa

Have you tried double clutching? I had the exact same car and both 2nd and 3rd were touchy with the synchros, I just double clutched on the downshift and had no problems.

Remember you can check for Mazda 626 gearboxes as well when you ring around.
Vixen BF Mk II F6 with ZF- #216
Stock PB on street tyres - 13.11 @ 107.3 MPH
SY TTG

....Grant me the serenity to accept the fact that I can't pass them all, the courage to pass most,
....and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those who refuse to get the hell out of my way!!
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 02:20 AM   #3
mrdave
Starter Motor

Smile

G'day Chipa .. thanks for the reply.

Double clutching doesn't solve the problem unfortunatly. I reckon I'll have to go a second hand box and a new clutch.

I have a rather steep hill to climb on the way to work and I just know half way up fourth will run out of legs and I wont be able to engage third.

But Cheers mate

Dave
mrdave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post