Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 10:22 PM   #17191
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

Does the “five second rule” apply to face masks, too?
This user likes this post:
Old 09-12-2021, 11:16 PM   #17192
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Does the “five second rule” apply to face masks, too?
yep

7 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2021, 11:27 PM   #17193
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Oh my…

That’s a benchmark. Of something.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:59 AM   #17194
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

For those wondering about the effectiveness of booster shots here is some data from Israel regarding boosters which have been available there since July 30th.

Disclaimer: Please note that this study only applies to the BNT162b2 (Pfizer) vaccine where it has already been identified that the efficacy starts to wane after ~5-6 months. Other vaccines have shown different patterns of waning immunity over time as shown in other data I've posted recently with AstraZeneca the least impacted and J&J (not used here) the most impacted.

Data is for people who were >50 years of age at the start of the study and had received two doses of Pfizer at least 5 months earlier. The mortality due to Covid-19 among participants who received the booster during the study period was compared with that among participants who did not receive the booster.

Israel makes an interesting study because they vaccinated early and vaccinated almost the entire population which proved very effective prior to the Delta variant with cases dropping from 1,000 cases per 1 million persons per day in January 2021 to 1 or 2 cases per 1 million persons per day in June 2021.

The Delta variant along with the reduced efficacy of Pfizer over time led to a resurgence of Covid-19 cases in Israel and by August 2021, Israel had the highest incidence of Covid-19 worldwide which is why a booster was approved, initially for the >60 age group and then extended to the >50's.

A total of 843,208 participants met the eligibility criteria, of whom 758,118 (90%) received the booster during the 54-day study period. Death due to Covid-19 occurred in 65 participants in the booster group (0.16/100k persons per day) and in 137 participants in the non-booster group (2.98/100k persons per day). The adjusted hazard ratio for death due to Covid-19 in the booster group, as compared with the non-booster group, was 0.10 - that is to say participants who received a booster at least 5 months after a second dose of Pfizer had a 90% lower mortality rate due to Covid-19 than participants who did not receive a booster.

As a side note: during the study period, confirmed infection was observed in 2,888 participants in the booster group and 11,108 participants in the non-booster group. The adjusted hazard ratio for SARS-CoV-2 infection in the booster group, as compared with the non-booster group, was therefore 0.17 (i.e. the booster group were 83% less likely to be infected).

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2021, 10:03 AM   #17195
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
You'll have more pricks than a second hand dart board..............
At least me trousers will fit me like a glove......
Old 10-12-2021, 10:05 AM   #17196
slowsnake
Banned

Just watching Ch 2 news and the Pfizer vaccine has been approved for kids, starts 10th January 2022, ages 5 to 11.

Last edited by slowsnake; 10-12-2021 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:24 AM   #17197
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Just watching Ch 2 news and the Pfizer vaccine has been approved for kids, starts 10th January 2022, ages 5 to 11.
Typical ad-hoc Australian policy; endorsement was a given due to gross weight of worriers, yet they messed around with a charade of evaluation.

NSW looks set to finish the week with strong case numbers. Will the Premier lose his nerve on the final rollback of restrictions per December 15th?
2 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2021, 02:15 PM   #17198
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT December 9th 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

1,654 new cases for Australia and 10 deaths so the CMR is 0.930%.

106 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.349%.

The UK had 50,023 cases yesterday and 161 deaths for a CMR of 1.376%.

130,065 new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,330 deaths sees CMR at 1.614%.

Other notable points:

Global deaths pass 5.3M, the last 50k in 6 days;
Europe passes 77M cases;

Eswatini (1,084);
Finland (1,781);
Zimbabwe (5,189); and
Norway (5,355);

.... recorded new highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period and none drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 10-12-2021, 02:20 PM   #17199
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

NSW/VIC
NSW records 516 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate increases to 1.1368 (from 1.1333) while the actual line remains below the predictive trend line although it is tracking with it.

VIC records 1,206 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate decreases to 1.0416 (from 1.0349) while the actual line remains below the predictive trend.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2021, 02:32 PM   #17200
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Typical ad-hoc Australian policy; endorsement was a given due to gross weight of worriers, yet they messed around with a charade of evaluation.

NSW looks set to finish the week with strong case numbers. Will the Premier lose his nerve on the final rollback of restrictions per December 15th?
Better not, I say let it run and see what happens in January.

The only piece left of the puzzle is kids as above, apart from that we just cant keep locking down.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-12-2021, 02:48 PM   #17201
slowsnake
Banned

Reminds me of Ernest Hemmingways book "The Old Man and the Sea"........

Australia is the giant fish tied to the side of his boat, and as he slowly gets toward home the sharks slowly but surely devour his prized catch, by the time he gets to shore, the only thing left is the carcass!......that's Australia.......
3 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2021, 03:07 PM   #17202
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
yep

oh dame, WTF??
Old 11-12-2021, 10:21 AM   #17203
slowsnake
Banned

Just on my Ch 24 news, Victoria has 13 deaths and 1193 new Covid-19 cases.
Old 11-12-2021, 12:05 PM   #17204
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thursday night my daughter's friend got notification that she had been at an exposure site. The gap between her visit to that site and the SMS she received was over 48hours.
This is all new-ish to us in SA.
She has to isolate for 14 days. Hope she's done her Xmas shopping.
With this info we were surprised to not see any info of the site in the news or online.
Eventually the info was there, but 24 hours later.
Long time considering the fast transmission deal.
This girl works with children and as it is a care-centre there is a huge number of interactions with other adults also.
Easy to see how it can go wild with delays like that.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2021, 12:50 PM   #17205
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT December 10th 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

1,729 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 0.923%.

No data for NZ so CMR is 0.349%.

The UK had 58,184 cases yesterday and 120 deaths for a CMR of 1.364%.

135,548 new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,848 deaths sees CMR at 1.613%.

Other notable points:

Global cases pass 268M, the last 1M in 2 days;
Europe passes 77M cases;

Laos (1,645);
Finland (1,794); and
Norway (5,413);

.... recorded new highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Namibia moves above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period and no countries drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2021, 01:00 PM   #17206
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

NSW/VIC
NSW records 560 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate decreases to 1.1051 (from 1.1368) while the actual line remains below the predictive trend line although it is tracking with it.

VIC records 1,193 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate decreases to 1.0121 (from 1.0416) while the actual line remains below the predictive trend.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 11-12-2021 at 03:49 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2021, 01:22 PM   #17207
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Thursday night my daughter's friend got notification that she had been at an exposure site. The gap between her visit to that site and the SMS she received was over 48hours.
The health authorities would not have known she was at an exposure site until someone tests positive. Then they go back and contact trace after someone tests positive. So she was contacted 48hrs from when she was exposed but how long after the authorities were aware?
Quote:
With this info we were surprised to not see any info of the site in the news or online.
This girl works with children and as it is a care-centre there is a huge number of interactions with other adults also.
Victoria no longer publishes a list of exposure sites. Instead the health authorities contact you directly by phone or the Service Victoria app.

Now that most are vaccinated we are attempting to living with Covid. No more lockdowns, everything back to (post Covid) normal.

I don't miss the lack of traffic during lock down.
Old 11-12-2021, 06:39 PM   #17208
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Thats actually quite quick believe it or not.
My Manager was in an exposure site on the 26/11 at Cardone's Seafood and Grill Glenelg, didnt get the SMS until 2/12.

I walked out of the depot on the Thursday morning and he's standing with his mask on, im like, you dont need that on outside mate, he said you do if you receive one of these and held up his phone with the message.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2021, 11:56 PM   #17209
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Bummer, right on Christmas too, does she know if she goes to the MyGov website she can apply for a Covid-19 one off payment?
May ease the pain of loss of pay, neighbour got it, nearly $700 and she deserved it!
Old 12-12-2021, 09:23 AM   #17210
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Three days to go.

From Wednesday, NSW abandons mandatory QR codes and masks in many everyday settings - just as new infections ramp up. I note Professor Esterman of UNSW (who has largely been a “moderate” in his comments since Covid awareness kicked off) is suggesting that new cases for NSW won’t peak until sometime in February.

If the state government holds its nerve on this timeline, I’m fully expecting a backlash from several other states in restrictions upon inbound people who’ve been in NSW.
3 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2021, 09:39 AM   #17211
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I take about ten thousand international units of vitamin D per day plus 30 minutes to and hour of good sun (low in the sky)....obviously when it's not overcast.

I eat one meal per day around 6pm and usually walk between 1 to 2 hours when I can find the time. And I also take the other vitamins mentioned, and then some.

I never recorded any of it but my best guess is that I have been doing most of that or working towards it for at least a year.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:46 AM   #17212
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Personally I take about ten thousand international units of vitamin D ................

And I also take the other vitamins mentioned, and then some.

Wouldn't trust big pharma with those pills.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 12-12-2021, 09:53 AM   #17213
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Wouldn't trust big pharma with those pills.
I never stated how I sourced them, and yet you trusted big pharma with the vaccines.....

You can't fix stupid.
Old 12-12-2021, 09:59 AM   #17214
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
I never stated how I sourced them, and yet you trusted big pharma with the vaccines.....

You can't fix stupid.
Bad humour /sarcasm.....my bad.

If you only eat once a day, it'd be an interesting diet to obtain 10,000 IU vitamin D without "pills".

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

2 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2021, 10:52 AM   #17215
nearlythere

No vax for me.
And no it's not my job to protect you that's what the vax is for.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:58 AM   #17216
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Bad humour /sarcasm.....my bad.

If you only eat once a day, it'd be an interesting diet to obtain 10,000 IU vitamin D without "pills".
Sun/Food/certified organic ''pills''/pastured-raised organ meats/wild caught salmon/organic cod liver oil etc. Take ya pick.

And the one meal is a big meal. Usually two plates or two bowls depending on what I'm eating.
Old 12-12-2021, 01:22 PM   #17217
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT December 11th 2021.

1,745 new cases for Australia and 18 deaths so the CMR is 0.924%.

160 new cases for NZ and 2 deaths so CMR is 0.360%.

The UK had 52,279 cases yesterday and 132 deaths for a CMR of 1.359%.

147,299 new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,591 deaths sees CMR at 1.612%.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)

Asia passes 83M cases;

Laos (1,898);
Zimbabwe (6,181); and
Vietnam (16,141)

No countries move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period and Latvia drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2021, 01:28 PM   #17218
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

NSW/VIC
NSW records 485 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate decreases to 1.0837 (from 1.1051) while the actual line remains below the predictive trend line.

VIC records 1,069 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate decreases to 0.9814 (from 1.0121) while the actual line remains below the predictive trend.

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2021, 02:11 PM   #17219
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Three days to go.

From Wednesday, NSW abandons mandatory QR codes and masks in many everyday settings - just as new infections ramp up. I note Professor Esterman of UNSW (who has largely been a “moderate” in his comments since Covid awareness kicked off) is suggesting that new cases for NSW won’t peak until sometime in February.

If the state government holds its nerve on this timeline, I’m fully expecting a backlash from several other states in restrictions upon inbound people who’ve been in NSW.
It’ll be most interesting how Herr Dan responds to this?
I’d suggest mayhem if he doesn’t follow suit? (Especially Christmas lead up)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
2 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2021, 03:28 PM   #17220
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
It’ll be most interesting how Herr Dan responds to this?

I’d suggest mayhem if he doesn’t follow suit? (Especially Christmas lead up)
Masks set to go on the 15th. Check ins are almost useless now. Compliance is about 30% from observations..... Hardly anyone does it any longer, and no one checks. The only ones that check are events and restaurants.

Rides (past and present)

Closed Thread